Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2588 Next >>
Topic: What’s in your sketch book? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JPB, Marcus- glad you like my storyboards.

Andy, that’s some good fine detail you have in your works

JPB- good Cap!

Armindo, good detailing with Punisher

Flavio- good stuff!

Luke/JPB- great Superman!

New BattleWorlds post- from the FutureWar graphic novel; I've been posting the pages out of sequence from the final graphic novel pagination. Hope it makes any sense, but at the very least, my aim is to establish a storytelling pace on every page. FutureWar takes place in the year 2245 a.d., with a flashback at the beginning of the story to 1945.

A newly-reunited Mega and Sol sit down at the food court where she sees no way out of her obligation to return to Amazonia and leave Jack forever.

As Sol gains her new Shaman powers, she fires upon the Imperial Leader’s vessel, crippling it and providing Mega the right distraction to smash the Leader’s painkiller vials- hit 'em where it really hurts the most- LOL

Mega finds a quiet moment to visit the Powers Memorial, constructed hundreds of years ago at the end of WWII in honor of his father General Powers, M.I.A. searching for his son (the last Daedalus mission).

Edited by George Edwards on 22 January 2007 at 7:55pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That looks great george you have good story telling skills very much like a story board artist friend of mine that did tv adverts.He used to draw dr who in a comic called Countdown that came out in the 70's.

Dave Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Back to Top profile | search

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Great job on Superman JPB, really like what you did with his face.  I have been enjoying the previews for the FutureWar graphic novel, George.  Any idea when it comes out, I'm very interested in picking up a copy.

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Your welcome luke.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Coming back to showcase more of some recent art and sketches that I worked on.  What you see in this post is a blue pencil sketch of a character who is part of a group that I've been fooling around with for the past several years.  He first came to mind many years before, conceived out of a combination of influences from American superhero comics, dinosaurs and Japanese giant-monster flicks that I got into as a kid.  The blue pencil, of course, is how I generally compose and lay out my art, be it a simple pose like this or more complex comicbook pages.

Mandragore (JPEG, 63 KB)

Edited by Carmen Bernardo on 22 January 2007 at 7:00pm

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And the follow-up to the above sketch (or, actually, it's immediate predecessor) is a fully-penciled sketch featuring Mandragore going up against one of the arch-enemies that he will face.  Here, I was using standard #2B lead in a mechanical pencil, something I'll be doing often with my art if it's going to be scanned as a finished piece or passed on to an inker.  Otherwise, I generally ink my own work (after tightening the pencils a bit and adding details where desired).

Mandragore vs Panzer (JPEG, 56 KB)

One thing I have been doing lately is picking up issues of Bob McLeod's Rough Stuff magazine to check out the work of some of my favorite pencillers.  (McLeod, for those of us who haven't followed him much, was the artist who helped put together the New Mutants with Chris Claremont -- he'd be my choice for an art director if Marvel were to revive the position.)  In it, he critiqued the trend in the industry towards making pencil art more complete rather than the looser art that he recalled back in the day.  A curious trend, I might add, which may explain why some artists take so long with their work (why they're not willing to collaborate with a skilled inker, I don't know...).

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
why they're not willing to collaborate with a skilled inker, I don't know

This was being discussed in another thread.  Apparently, some inkers nowadays want their pencils real tight.

George Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks JPB, Luke, & Marcus!

BattleWorlds: FutureWar is scheduled for release as a 100 page graphic novel on January 2008. If I manage to finish it all sooner, I may push up the date; I'll keep you posted.

For now, The very first BattleWorlds comic has been released directly through my online store-- BattleWorlds Official Products. It is BattleWorlds Secret Origins #1, a 32 page comic book. Just go to my website and click on BattleWorlds Official Products logo to go to the store. Among the many links of products for sale, there is a link called "Graphic Novels"; click on that to get your copy.

Edited by George Edwards on 23 January 2007 at 1:50am

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2007 at 2:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Some James Bond sketches...

Trying to come up with a Bond face.  This one came out very Timothy Dalton...

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2007 at 4:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A quick sketch of captain america.Maybe an idea for a story set in world war two.

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2007 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Another idea for the captain america ww2 story.

<< Prev Page of 2588 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version