Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2588 Next >>
Topic: What’s in your sketch book? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

No problems man! If you have a Cap to share, I'd get a kick out of that sometime! ;)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thanks Chris & Darren. Your ability to render puts me to shame & envy  though Darren, I really need to concentrate on it, always lets me down.  Case in point...

Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Touch of Gill Kane and Dave Gibbons there Luke.

Rendering is a confidence issue, I feel. You need to be confident enough in yourself that even if you had a blank page you would -still- feel confident to ink it!

The above figure seems fine to me but next time, mix it up a bit! By that I mean, choose the -same- sort of pose (not exactly to avoid just tracing this one) and then think, what if there was a light source over his right shoulder, how would that fill the body and face with shadow?

Making you mind think about the third dimension in your two dimension drawing as where you'll discover your confidence my friend.

Also ask yourself, "How can I draw the belt to look like it's sat -in- the hoops and resting on his hips and not look like a set of flat lines? This was something that escaped me for many a year. It sort of began to change as I started to put in a 'drop-shadow' from the belt onto the pants. Then my mind started to try and work out whether there would be any changes in the line weights around the belt hoops where they gape over the belt and so on...really thin about the objects you draw. Sounds really preacy, not my intent as this is a strong image. i guess I'm trying to say that your work is really nice, maybe you need to take it on to the next level now, and that means changing your approach to make you think about things differently, so you can apply what you learned to your existing pluses!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Here you go Chris.

Chris Yeoman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That is GREAT! Thanks mate.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

An idea of mine.

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks for the advice Darren, very good points.  Don't worry about being preachy, any tips and knowledge you have to share is always welcome.  My problem is I'm neither fish nor fowl.  I love your detailed Neary style inks and rendering but I'm more drawn to the dead line style of the Captain America pic for my own stuff.

I plan to make a concerted effort to improve, beefing up on anatomy and finding a style of rendering to define form that suits my stuff and is consistent within the picture.  I 'm starting to think the most important part of rendering is knowing what to leave out and when. 

The most frustrating aspect for me at the moment is that on a good day ( on bad days I can't even write my name) I can produce the line drawing very quickly with a passable idea of where the muscles go but with the rendering, suddenly I hit a brick wall. 

This for example took about 5 minutes all very intuitive over really rough breakdowns, now that it comes to rendering though, my brain shuts down.  Hopefully I can overcome this and with the comments from folks in this thread I see no reason why I can't.

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Powerful image JPB, great work.

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think you should not worry to much about your inking Luke it will come,I'm glad you like my work, When i ink or colour my work i just shut my mind off and dont even worry about what it will turn out like.I can draw in any type of medium never had a problem with it. Your  captain america looks great to me i can find nothing wrong with it. Keep at it friend.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"now that it comes to rendering though, my brain shuts down. " & "and finding a style of rendering to define form that suits my stuff"

Are clearly related and the former is very obviously symptomatic of the latter Luke! I hope you can see that.

I can share a technique that might work for you Luke. Use the side of a pencil (the broad side) and just run it over the top of your linework lightly, where you'd imagine the shading to go. then during the inking try and 'define' that shadow however you see fit!

But maybe the act of adding some nondescript shading to your art might force you to make the leap you are stretching for.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Oh and the Neary comparison has ingratiated you no end! LOL.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Fantastically powerful image John!

<< Prev Page of 2588 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version