Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: More Nu52 ado - What does DC have against Hal Jordan? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think a fun fanfic would be the 2nd Foundation trying to cure Emperor Leto II of his megalomaniacal delusions brought on by over-exposure to toxins found in the Spice. 

Or having Halo mix with Warhammer 40K. 

I'm not sure they'd be much fun to read but they should be fun to write.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Drew Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 2  

Here's what I think is a clever bit of snarky comment on the "Nu52" and a nice homage to one of JB's most famous covers in "Reboots of Future Past" http://johntrumbull.deviantart.com/#/d5eovhv
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm certain the Power Girl version of the Spectre would be "artfully" concealed by her cape up top…

••

When DC does things like this, it tends to be anything but "artful". Remember when pair of Thanagarian cops turned up in SWAMP THING, Fred Hembeck's old gag about Hawkgirl wearing her husband's uniform to boost sales was realized -- except the straps were shifted to cover the "naughty bits", and those "naughty bits" were apparently turned into solid muscle in order to support the weight of those wings without deforming.

One of those classic instances where someone said "Hey, let's do THIS!" and nobody took a look at it and said "Doesn't really WORK, does it?"

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 4  

Between this thread and a comment (by Same Karns) about the X-Men in another thread, it seems there's not much critical thinking going on by some of today's hot writers. It seems to be about going with the cool idea, without considering the ramifications.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 5  

"Critical thinking" has been coughing blood in a corner for a long time!

I've often said that, back in the day, the way to come up with stories was to ask "Wouldn't it be cool if. . . " A very, VERY important part of asking that question, however, as remembering there were times when it was equally important to ask "Yeah, but then what?"

There is supposed an old Native American saying, "We do not inherit the World from our parents, we borrow it from our children." This has informed by approach to writing superhero comics for decades. I am borrowing these characters from the next generation of writers, and I need to leave them in good working order!

There are days I think I may be one of the last who thinks like that!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 6  

Kip Lewis wrote:
52 has worked, at least in the short run

I'd venture to say that you'd get a very different picture if you asked your LCS.  Mine has said that it's been dismal for his business.  Numbers from Diamond and Newsarama articles that basically serve as nothing more than a PR machine are one thing.  Experience from shop owners is another thing entirely. 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 7  

It may be a case to case thing for retailers. The owner of my LCS will tell you that it was great because they've had a great year with new customers and some returning customers and even kids!

At the same time they're not just doing good business with DC titles, people are buying all sorts of stuff. My theory on that (he's probably too modest to admit) is that he returned to the store full time this year. The mid 90's forced him to get another job so that he could still keep the store running while keeping a presence and last summer he let all of his customers know that he was coming back and that he was really excited and that enthusiasm helps when you have a family run business. This all coincided with the New 52 at the time so while I think the New 52 helped (making it a success for at least one store because they still sell alot of copies) I think that it was only a factor in the store's continued success. 

Edited by Shawn Kane on 14 September 2012 at 10:42am

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

Submitted without comment...

Edited by William Roberge on 15 September 2012 at 12:57pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

Thanagarian lady as seen in Swamp Thing

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 10  

First off, of all the X-Men 141 parodies I've seen (and I know we all have seen many many such parodies) that one may be my favorite. The labels here are really the key to making this one work.

I especially like the idea that Wally and Donna have been cast as the "last holdouts" or "resistance fighters." To the best of my knowledge neither has yet been reintroduced into Nu52 continuity (Kid Flash is Bart Allen and Wonder Girl is the teensploitation-style Cassie Sandsmark.) making them "immune" so far to any changes in this latest reboot.

Which is kind of funny, I think, because no character in comics' history has had a personal timeline as fungible and overworked as Donna's, and even Wally's past was given a rewrite from the Marv Wolfman/ George Perez Titans title to his assumption of the lead role in the Flash comic. Suddenly he had different parents, a different home life, Dad was a Manhunter...

It's odd that they should be the last ones left untouched after a universal reboot... Not that I'm complaining, mind you... I just find it amusing.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 11  

The "WALKS NOW" tag is a positive.

Can someone tell me what the Aquaman and Robin tags mean?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 12  

Hey Wallace! Aquaman is one of DC's top selling titles now hence that he is cool now. Then with Robin, Tim Drake was never Batman's partner that Tim started out as Red Robin.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version