Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: More Nu52 ado - What does DC have against Hal Jordan? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 1  

"
 QUOTE: 
Not being a very devout Muslim raises one big question: WHY BOTHER?

If DC is going to make a publicity stunt out of this character -- which they have -- diluting him seems pointless. Or is the point to make him "safe"?

"It's okay everyone! He's a Muslim, but not a SCARY Muslim."

That's a good point. So far the character comes across as an American who happens to be Muslim. Making him a Muslim from the Middle East or Southern Asia would have been more interesting and groundbreaking. "

Or making him Chaldean, which is what the majority of Arabs that fled the Middle East ( due to being persecuted for not being Muslim) to "Dearborn" are.

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 2  

The character was created to be a Muslim, not a Arab. While creating a Muslim character who isn't a Muslim would be a unique approach, I think it might defeat the purpose. 

The character is an Arab from Michigan because Johns is an Arab (part Lebanese) from Michigan. Johns likes Michigan so much he's bring back Detroit's "favorite son" Vibe in an up coming JLA title!!!  Vibe, a character whose reputation makes the scorn heaped on Aquaman look like praise. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

I don't care if DC creates and Arab and/or Muslim character.  I don't see why they can't just create an original one rather than just making another GL.  Worse yet: making him a GL, but having the ring giving the *message* it was repeating while doing so.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've often said, I would invite anyone to tell us what were the hobbies, personal interests, backgrounds, etc, of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko (to name but three) based on their work at Marvel.

It's part of the degeneration into fanzines (now official, if the "write like fanfic" quote is for real!) that writers and artist layer the work with such things. Fine and dandy in their own creator-owned stuff. But in Marvel Universe, DC Universe books?

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

here's more about Dan Didio's "write fan fiction" comment in an interview with current Batman writer Scott Snyder.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/623 25-scott-snyder-talks-bleeding-cool-about-%22writing-fan-fic %22.html

Edited by Rick Whiting on 10 September 2012 at 5:14pm

Steve WeZ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

"

The character was created to be a Muslim, not a Arab. While creating a Muslim character who isn't a Muslim would be a unique approach, I think it might defeat the purpose. 

The character is an Arab from Michigan because Johns is an Arab (part Lebanese) from Michigan. "

A huge part of the Arab's in the Dearborn area that John's is from are Chaldean. Their story is infinitely more interesting than , "just another misunderstood Muslim".  Essentially a huge part fled Iraq ( and Lebanon) due to their Christian beliefs.

But then that might not be as simple to "get" as Muslim. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2012 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 7  

But its not the story that Johns wants to tell with this character. The point of the character is he is an assimilated American Muslim. 

Brandon Scott Berthelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

A few years back WWE brought up a wrestler and gave him the
gimmick of Muhammed Hassan, an American born Muslim from Detroit
who was angry at he and his people being treated unfairly after 9/11.
This could have been a complex and interesting character, but
wrestling fans are not usually known for understanding complex things
(chanting USA during a match between Hassan and Jericho, a
Canadian). So the character went from being a possibly complex
character who could go good or bad to a generic Muslim bad guy.
Then after a "terrorist" attack filmed before the london bombings and
not edited out of the show the character was killed off due to network
pressure.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2012 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 9  

I went to the nearest Barnes & Noble last night. In front of me in line was a Muslim couple with a little boy of about 8. They were buying the new Green Lantern issue. The little boy looked excited, kept opening the cover and peeking at the first page, looked like he was trying to wait until he got home to read it but was tempted to read it right there in line. It was the only thing they were buying, which made me suspect that they had made the trip to the store just for that.

I haven't read it myself and have no intention of doing so. Current DC doesn't appeal to me at all and I don't care for the constant creating of new versions of old characters and most of what the current creators have been doing. But I do hope, if that issue is that child's first exposure to comics and it was the media coverage of the new character that made him want to read it or his parents want to buy it for him, that it was written as if the issue might be somebody's first and that it will lead that kid to love superheroes and discover other great characters that he can enjoy regardless of their ethnicity or religion.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 September 2012 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 10  

Given Johns' recent proclivities, I hope the issue was suitable for an 8 year old.

Yesterday I took my new pup to the vet for a follow-up visit, and as promised took a "sample of my wares". Out of the stack of freebies I grabbed what turned out to be the trades of JURASSIC PARK and ANGLE: BLOOD & TRENCHES. When I gave them to the vet he said "Something for my kids to read tonight!"

"Don't give those to kids," I said -- and wondered if there was any chance he would have check the contents before handing them over to young children, if I hadn't forewarned him.

A message there. One of the main reasons Gay characters and the like can still get attention from the Press is that civilians still think comics are for kids.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 11  

That crossed my mind too, JB. Hopefully the parents flipped through it before buying it.

What a mess that it's even necessary to have to worry about that.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Is it that the comic readership has shrunk to a level that the comics themselves are irrelevant so the powers that be use them as a hype machine? 

"Look!  We are progressive thinkers!  We made Green Lantern gay!" (but not really)  "We made Green Lantern Muslim!" (but not really)

IF, they make another GL movie, guess who GL will be...Hal Jordan.

Maybe they are just grasping at straws--doing something even if it's wrong.

Maybe editorial is more interested in making heavy handed social statements than selling comics.

Who knows?   The Shadow?

It's obvious that at the big 2 the characters are not important anymore.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version