Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: More Nu52 ado - What does DC have against Hal Jordan? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 1  

Wow. That's like a head chef saying, "Cook your meals as though you had no real idea how to cook. Forget about what its supposed to taste like and indulge yourself!"

No wonder the Nu52 is giving so many people indigestion.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 2  

But, wouldn't adding a Muslim character to the Corps be similarto adding a Black man--The Falcon--to Captain America's book?
===========
One essential difference is that the Falcon was his own man. Baz is just another Green Lantern.

Also, when a new character is created who is a white male or female, they're just treated as a new character. Characters like Baz are treated as IMPORTANT MILESTONES whose introduction must be trumpeted from the highest mountain. It's another ploy to say, "Look at us! We're cool! We're relevant! We're inclusive!"

I think JB with Scissors & Northstar*, or even (god help us) Todd McFarlane with Spawn did right. They treated their characters as superheroes. Their minority status was just there and only became an issue if needed for the story.

*Clearly I'm speaking of when JB Handled the character, not later when "I'm Gay" practically became his battle cry.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 3  

At the Baltimore con, someone (may have been Didio, not sure) apparently said:

"When the New 52 began, writers were told to 'write as if they were writing fan fiction.' "

••

It would be most ironic, if it was Didio who said that, since it was he who first quoted to me Len Wein's famous advice, "The first story you'd do as a fan should be the last story you'd do as a pro."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 4  

… Todd McFarlane with Spawn did right…

••

Spawn reminded me of Marvel's Living Mummy. A rotting corpse wrapped from head to toe in bandages --- oh, and he's Black, too!

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 5  

I kind of touched on it in my last post, but one of the things I hate about Baz situation is that the ethnicity, or minority status, become one of the defining characteristics of the character. Baz will always be the "Arab" (or "Muslim") Green Lantern. In much the same way as John Stewart is the "Black" Green Lantern, Isiah Bradley is the "Black" Captain America, Mike Morales is the "Half Black - Half Hispanic" Spider-Man, or Carol Danvers is now the "Female" Captain Marvel. They don't stand alone as characters and must be identified by type.

If you must do something like this, then James Rhodes is a better example to follow. For all intents and purposes he's the "Black" Iron Man, but no one ever calls him that. They call him War Machine*. So, even though he's a derivative character, he's allowed to stand on his own two feet, and not simply be judged by the color of his skin.

*A name I never liked, but it's better than having to say, "No, the other Iron Man."

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Wow. That's like a head chef saying, "Cook your meals as though you had no real idea how to cook. Forget about what its supposed to taste like and indulge yourself!"

No wonder the Nu52 is giving so many people indigestion.

I wish there was something I could add to that. But that really sums it up perfectly.

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

I posted this in the "favorite covers" thread, but I'm including it here to make the point: what made this issue so exciting was the fact that there could only be ONE GL of Earth!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

Except of course for the back up and the back up's back up.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 9  

I'll post this in this thread, as it's Nu52 related (and again, I need to stop reading these news stories...):

According to the latest DC WHO'S WHO (in the New 52), every First Appearance has been reset to 2011 or 2012.

So Superman's First Appearance is no longer ACTION COMICS # 1, 1938, but JUSTICE LEAGUE # 1, 2011.

Now, this applies to every character, but I can't help but thinking of the Sieger-Shuster lawsuit. It has been suggested that the latest Superman re-vamp is motivated by the need to distance the character from the original Siegel-Shuster creation. I'm not sure I bought into that, but NOW it's starting to look very conspicuous.

Have DC simply been trying to create new characters all around to avoid a possible aftermath of the Superman ruling? And is it sufficient?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 10  

Mike, thanks for sharing that quote about "fan fiction" from the convention
panel. It's just another confirmation that I've made the right decision to (with
rare exceptions) avoid DC comics.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 11  

Same for me, Wallace. Once the last of the Joe Kubert stuff is out, I'm probably done with new DC.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 12  

For all the things that look like missteps, sales are up; seriously up.
Only three titles are down, the rest are holding or up, some are around
double last years sales.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-52-one-
year-later-title-title-sales.html

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version