Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: More Nu52 ado - What does DC have against Hal Jordan? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

Over the course of the story, those cracks can spread until Madame Darqueseid is covered head to toe in them... "Next Issue: Darqueseid! Completely Crazed!!"

And James, my take on the changes in the reprinted versions of those Nu52 books is that DC Editorial is actually, and hey, I can't believe I'm saying this either, doing their jobs.

Clearly, DC had a lot of this "figured out" in advance. What to keep, what to throw away. Morrison and Johns' notes from their mothers excusing them from the reboot didn't just happen, leaving everyone to scramble to accomodate them. They knew going in where most of their main characters were going to start off.

But not ALL of them. Tim Drake's backstory apparently glitched when it came up against Morrison's timeline, and, well, Tim never got to be Robin. Yes, it's the sort of thing they ought to have seen coming, and for the most part, in most cases, they did. However, where mistakes did occur, they're actually deciding upon a "correct" answer and fixing the error in any future printings of the story.

If this only occurs when mistakes are made, and the corrections actually work to bring the stories into line with the overall continuity, then it would appear to me the editors are actually doing their jobs, if a few months too late.

Should such things occur randomly and serve to confuse the questions rather than streamlining the answers, then we have another Crisis on our hands, and no one is steering the ship.

That doesn't look to be the case to me. Not yet anyway. I have heard that a great many readers feel differently, of course. :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 2  

Writer Greg Rucka has explains why he no longer has any interest in lending his writing talents to Marvel or DC:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/20/greg-rucka-on-leaving -marvel-and-dc-behind/

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 3  

Writer Greg Rucka has explains why he no longer has any interest in lending his writing talents to Marvel or DC:

It saddened me to read that.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
But not ALL of them. Tim Drake's backstory apparently glitched when it came up against Morrison's timeline, and, well, Tim never got to be Robin. Yes, it's the sort of thing they ought to have seen coming, and for the most part, in most cases, they did. However, where mistakes did occur, they're actually deciding upon a "correct" answer and fixing the error in any future printings of the story.
From what I can tell, the only thing that changed is Tim used the code name "Red Robin" instead of "Robin". So he was still Batman's sidekick. Which amounts to a difference that isn't much of a difference. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 5  

DC making changes without looking ahead to the ramifications?

Why am I flashing back to MAN OF STEEL. . . . ?

Back to Top profile | search

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

I have no doubt that working for DC and Marvel on the creative end is a bitch, but Rucka sounds a little whiny. In which case, he's done the right thing--don't work for them anymore. If he's angry and venting, I sympathize. But he's offering his comments for publication, so... 

I have to assume that he went in with his eyes open. Surely the idea of artists and writers going to work for Marvel and DC with some romantic notion of a group of like-minded bros working together in a tight, clubby atmosphere presided over by avuncular types was disabused decades ago? 

Yet he's stating plain realities (his comics career "in service of other masters", characters being yanked away from him) as if they're suddenly outrageous because they happened to him. Accusing DC of taking "gross advantage" of him sounds actionable. Is he seeking remedy?    

While he makes an interesting point:

QUOTE:
The dirty little secret is that those Image guys made all these deals and almost to a man failed to deliver. They burnt Hollywood horribly on letting comics talent actually be a part of the production of the material they sold.

He also makes a point I completely disagree with:

QUOTE:
You are seeing a grotesque Hollywoodisation of the two main companies. There was at least a period where I felt that the way they wanted to make money was by telling the best story they could; now the quality of the work matters less than that the book comes out. There is far less a desire to see good work be done.
[emphasis added]

While it is amusing to see, apparently, the 'Big Two' go through the looking glass on schedules and lateness, the implication is that quality is mutually exclusive with a monthly publication, or, at least, not conducive. Grrrrr...

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

Sadly there was a period of time when professionals could put out a quality monthly book. Guys like Rucka never really struck me as the type that could write the Avengers or Teen Titans. Not that he's a bad writer but he's a type that has to have the "gritty realism" element to alot of his stuff. His crime and spy comics fit that bill just fine but I'm okay with him staying away from superhero comics. Personally, I found his Wonder Woman and Wolverine runs to be terribly boring. 

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

Latest victim report: AMETHYST!

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

These "things" no longer deserve to be called comic books, they are just plain filth.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

You can probably find a similar scenario in many TV shows, movies and books going back decades. Its hardly "filth". It does seem to be the go to situation to show the protagonist is a "good guy". Replacing robbery or bullying. Should it be in a comic book arguably aimed at a younger audience? I don't think so, but lets no go all hyperbole. 

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 11  

So, I'm assuming most of those writers have been molested (or wanted to molest someone) during their lives. Such an obsession!

Maybe Marvel and DC need to get some proper psychological counseling for their creative teams.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

What a horrible thing to say.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version