Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: More Nu52 ado - What does DC have against Hal Jordan? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 1  

William thanks for posting that parody of X-men 141 it just made my day. That image is right on the mark with what is wrong with the New52.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 2  

Zeus is now Wonder Woman's father?

Y'know, I didn't really like it when George introduced the idea that Diana HAD a father, albeit in a previous incarnation of Hippolyta's, but it was presented vaguely enough that I kind of danced around it when I was doing WONDER WOMAN.

The notion that Diana has a dad runs sort of counter to the whole concept of the character, doesn't it? In her origin as created by Marston, she was "pure woman", with no male elements.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 3  

I got the first 12 issues of Wonder Woman for 52% off on a prepaid deal at my LCS, had I been buying it for cover price every month I would have dropped it after 4 or 5. People seem to like it but I'm not in that crowd.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne said: The notion that Diana has a dad runs sort of counter to the whole concept of the character, doesn't it? In her origin as created by Marston, she was "pure woman", with no male elements.

iii

I agree. The Pinocchio aspect of her origin also sets her outside the regular pantheon of gods and made her something "other" in a way that linked her strongly to her mom. 

A child of Zeus isn't that rare is it?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

Much what is supposedly "New" about Wonder Woman is simple textbook mythology.

William Marston's take was that history, written by the winners, had demonized the Amazon culture, making them as warlike and destructive as men, moreso in fact. The Amazons themselves, having gone to live on Paradise Island, weren't around to refute this characterization, and in fact built a miniature Utopia living by their principles of love and superior feminine virtue, perfecting their point of view in the thousands of years since those accounts were first recorded.

The Nu52 version is simply cribbed from those texts Wonder Woman's creator explained away. Ultraviolence? Check. Zues knocking up every woman he meets? Check. Amazons raping sailors? Check. Disposing of male infants? Check? Nothing's changed. Nothing's improved. Why would it? Thousands of years always result in exactly no change. Well, Eros is packing heat now. And there's nightclubbing. So there's that...

Really, the new Wonder Woman is completely hollow. But hey, kids! All the Hack'EmSlash you could ever want, right? Even the Punisher doesn't hack people apart with a sword, right? So, cooool, right?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

For every couple things DC gets right--Superman a bachelor and Barbara Gordon walking again--they get dozens more wrong.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 1:21am | IP Logged | 7  

OK, this is just stupid.

The text in some stories is being changed from the comic to the reprint trade. For instance, it appears that in Teen Titans 1 Tim Drake was called Robin and there may have been previous iterations of the Titans.

In the trade, Tim was called 'Batman's Boy Wonder' and there were no previous iterations of the Titans.

I can get that some things need to be altered as comics continue to be published, hecj that happens all the time. But these are the big, basic stuff - and it's getting changed within a year of the reboot.

What are they playing at?

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 4:58am | IP Logged | 8  

...because no character in comics' history has had a personal timeline as fungible and overworked as Donna's

That's why I thought JB's third year on WONDER WOMAN was so good!  Instead of getting rid of any of it, he decided ALL her timelines were true -- it was brilliant!  Neat and tidy, and a rockin' story, too.

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

Great cover William!

Next we'll find that Zeus is Kryptonian, Z'ues.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

Sure and Krypton was destoyed by a Sun Eater because the Controllers didn't want even more Daxamite like beings running around because they might have fallen under the sway of Darkseid. Who is now a girl. With big hooters. That have little stoney cracks in them. And when she gets mad you can see evil fiery lights shining out of the cleavage cracks. 

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2012 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

When DC does things like this, it tends to be anything but "artful". Remember when pair of Thanagarian cops turned up in SWAMP THING, Fred Hembeck's old gag about Hawkgirl wearing her husband's uniform to boost sales was realized -- except the straps were shifted to cover the "naughty bits", and those "naughty bits" were apparently turned into solid muscle in order to support the weight of those wings without deforming.

==========

I was reminded of the Hembeck joke as well.  As for the female Thanagarian cop, maybe they have N-th metal implants on Thanagar?

. . . Darkseid. Who is now a girl. With big hooters. That have little stoney cracks in them. And when she gets mad you can see evil fiery lights shining out of the cleavage cracks.

==========

Cleavage is another word for cracks, so Darkseid's cleavage would have cleavage.

Edited by James Elliott on 18 September 2012 at 3:01pm

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, I'll take that. 

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version