Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Marvel Superheroes at Universal / Disney Parks (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

Just what we need, decompressed roller coasters and a bunch of animatronic Avenger talking heads describing what the ride would be like.

Well, it could be worse...  We could have animatronic Disney and Pixar characters dressed up as Marvel superheroes doing that...

Now having the image of a "Great Moments with Captain America" animatronic show.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

You know, when Disney first bought Marvel, I had high hopes that they would clean Marvel up and get it back on the road to greatness.  But, it seems they just don't care what levels it sinks to.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

Sounds like the Tomorrowland attraction INNOVATIONS at Disneyland may be on the way out in favor of a IRON MAN-themed ride according to this MiceAge report:

Al Lutz wrote:
Tomorrowland won’t get any Christmas decorations, as the last holdout of a land that ignores the holidays. But the plans to shutter Innoventions and begin work on an Iron Man themed E Ticket thrill ride in that space continue to move through the approval process in both Burbank and Glendale. If you are one of those few fans of Innoventions, or simply want to get a look at what’s left of the revolving theater ride system there since 1967, stop by and pay your respects before February.

Bob Iger can’t wait to get the Marvel characters added to the theme park environment, and WDI is running with this one since the budget is healthy and Cars Land has emboldened them to push for higher quality in these big headliner projects. The question remains whether they can keep this quickly approaching project under wraps until the 2013 D23 Expo in Anaheim next August, or if they at least announce the E Ticket this winter but hold back on the details publicly until the D23 Expo.

[MiceAge Link]

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged | 4  

Innoventions is kinda silly these days because all of the so-called advances in technology are blasted over thousands of web pages so almost everything there is old hat.  When we were there in 2009, for example, they had a video game that you could play by moving your hands, but the Wii had been out for what, three years? 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 5  

I get that it's old.  I get that it's out of date.  That said?  I love it.  I drag my wife to it nearly every time we go to Disneyland.  It's fun for me from a purely nostalgic viewpoint.  I sat on that same ride way back in 1974 and was wowed.  Sad to hear that it's going away, but them's the times.  At least I got to experience it many, many times. 

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 6  

As far as Florida goes, the only existing park I can see Marvel incorporated into could be Hollywood Studios. They do have a great abundance of Marvel items for sale, as does downtown Disney. But Disney has always been meticulous when it comes to what fits in with their various parks and the areas. My best guess is that letting Universal continue to have Marvel at Islands of Adventure is more advantageous to Disney World than rebranding are area of an existing park. Anything included at Hollywood Studios would be based around the movieverse in order to fit in with the general theme of the park.

In Disney Land, on the other hand, they could be great opportunity if they added on as they did with Cars. The idea of a Marvel superhero stunt show would be something I would LOVE to see.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 7  

As soon as the Disney/Marvel deal went through, all of the Marvel items disappeared from the Universal Studios Hollywood park.  They had a few shows and some really cool, exclusive merchandising items.  There was even an X-Men pin that featured JB and Dave Cockrum art.  They still sell superhero merchandise, but it is both Marvel and DC - nothing exclusive.

I think the Disney Imagineers are quite brilliant, and I am excited to see how they interpret the Marvel Universe.  This is the first I am hearing about an Iron Man ride replacing Innoventions in Disneyland.  It's a perfect fit - Iron Man is inherently a future technology story as Tony Stark is always one step ahead of us!  Tomorrowland would benefit a lot from this.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 8  

Matt R:  "I get that it's old.  I get that it's out of date.  That said?  I love it.  I drag my wife to it nearly every time we go to Disneyland.  It's fun for me from a purely nostalgic viewpoint.  I sat on that same ride way back in 1974 and was wowed.  Sad to hear that it's going away, but them's the times.  At least I got to experience it many, many times. "

You're probably thinking of another ride.  Innoventions opened in the late 90's - it's the big round building next to Space Mountain.  It's a kind of showcase for new technology.  It's like an exhibit hall.  Tomorrowland is famously bad at predicting tomorrow, so I think it's best they drop this attraction.

It was the original home of Carousel of Progress, which moved out to Disney World a long time ago.  Carousel of Progress was an early animatronic effort that featured past and future technology - it had a big rotating theater.  I have a lot of nostalgia for it as it was the first Disney ride I went on when I visited Disney World in the 1980's.  I liked it, and I was very skeptical of theme parks at the time!

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Per what Tim said, here's Yesterdayland's acticle on the Carousel of Progress - now Innovations (at least until February 2013):

[Yesterdayland Link - Carousel of Progress]

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version