Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Now-Captain America-WOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 1  

JB: Not quite sure what you're saying. USAgent was Mark Gruenwald's creation, and it was on his orders that the character was added to the membership of the West Coast Avengers. (Same way Quasar got into the East Coast team.)

Really? I had no idea! I remember John Walker supposedly being killed by Scourge in Captain America's comic and then popping up in the West Coast Avengers as the U.S. Agent shorty thereafter. I didn't know Mark Gruenwald had ordered him onto the team (although, I had heard about the Quasar deal).

This is a reason I love this place...I learn something new everyday! 

Back to Top profile | search

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 2  

Bill,
The Scourge assassination of John Walker was a set up by the government  to then be able to develop Walker into a different identity(this was shown in Captain America's book a few issues after the "assassination"). He was given new voice training to hide his southern accent,also was to have had his mannerisms changed and a new name(Jack Daniels I think but not 100% positive) as well before debuting him as USAgent and pass him off as a whole different person.  I think before his debut in WCA,he had a story in Marvel Comics Presents with art by M.D. Bright where he went after the Power Broker and that also involved Scourge as well.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 3  

John Byrne wrote:
Unlike Quasar, who was a complete waste of space!

As much as I loved a lot of Gruenwald's work, Quasar never clicked for me.  He made no sense to me as a character and didn't fit into the larger tapestry of the MU.  At best, he was a DC character shoehorned into Marvel.  At worst, just not a very interesting creation at all. 

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 4  

Quasar never clicked for me either. He seemed like an uninteresting mix of Captain Marvel and Green Lantern.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 5  

As much as I loved a lot of Gruenwald's work, Quasar never clicked for me. He made no sense to me as a character and didn't fit into the larger tapestry of the MU. At best, he was a DC character shoehorned into Marvel. At worst, just not a very interesting creation at all.

••

I had not previously thought of Quasar as a displaced DC character, but now that its been said, I retroactively understand Mark's "adoption" of this utterly lame character.

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 6  

First thing I thought of when I picked up that first issue of "Quasar"(and bear in mind I hadn't been collecting comics too awful long at this point)was: "Cool,he's like Green Lantern!" .......lol. It's funny to think back on those days and how I read and loved every comic I picked up because it was all new to me then.

Edited by Allan Summerall on 30 July 2012 at 10:10am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 7  

I thought "Hey! It's Marvel Man from Project Pegasus."

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

Quasar was one of the first books I dropped as a Marvel reader.  My $5 a week allowance allowed me to keep up on just about everything I really wanted to read, but it just didn't make the cut for me.  Re-reading them, it's still a nice enough book, but it didn't go that extra mile that my other favorite Marvel books did.

On Liefeld's original Hawk & Dove, I've heard that Karl Kesel had a lot to do with the look of that mini-series.  Kesel did his best to retain Liefeld's energy and enthusiasm (and I think he was all of 18 or 19 at the time) while doing his best to fix anatomy and proportions (and possibly redrawing pages when necessary).  Liefeld's first year of New Mutants had inkers like Hilary Barta reining him in, but with those last three issues of the book, when he got complete creative control, all bets were off.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Barry Maine
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

"As much as I loved a lot of Gruenwald's work, Quasar
never clicked for me. He made no sense to me as a
character and didn't fit into the larger tapestry of the
MU. At best, he was a DC character shoehorned into
Marvel. At worst, just not a very interesting creation
at all. "

If I remember correctly, this was out around the same
time as the Silver Surfer book by Englehart. I really
enjoyed both books because of their cosmic storylines. I
think I was also sold because it actually crossed over
with What If? of all things, which was my favorite book
as a kid. I hadn't made the connection of a Marvel Green
Lantern. He also had a great fish out of water element
for me in these space stories. But I didn't particularly
care for him as a member of the Avengers or really
anytime he was on Earth.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

Did they ever address why Marvel Man/Quasar could use his quantum bands like a Green Lantern power ring, but Robert Grayson (Marvel Boy) could not?

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 11  

Michael, I think it had been said at some point in Quasar's comic that it had something to do with Marvel Boy not being the chosen Protector of the Universe. Due to that, he was unable to fully operate them. Of course, Captain Marvel, who was the Protector of the Universe, didn't need the quantum bands, since he was already wearing the nega bands.

Just do what I do and don't think too hard about it all.

Of course, with major retcons for the character of Marvel Boy/Robert Grayson in the Agents of Atlas comics, who knows what the reasons are now! 

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Thanks Bill, you know, I was shocked to learn that the 1950's (Robert Grayson) Marvel Boy was actually the third Marvel Boy, Timely had, had two others during the 1940's.

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version