Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Now-Captain America-WOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 1  

Well....it is 2012.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

Musing about this development this morning got me thinking about how I would, if assigned, approach this job of re-designing Captain America.

I can't figure out a way to do it, if I knew it would be permanent.

If it's just a brief switcharoo/marketing ploy, then I might be able to work with it under the right circumstances (if it was a good Captain America story that happened to go along with the ploy).

But outside of that, my spirit wonders how can folks involved in this feel good about it?

Edited by Mark Haslett on 29 July 2012 at 12:19pm
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

They should just give it up and bring back "The Captain".

Gene Kendall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've seen Liefeld sketches and rough breakdowns that actually look fairly good.  What happens from the early stages to the final product is a mystery to me.
More Liefeld sketches:
http://robliefeldcreations.com/?p=2107

http://robliefeldcreations.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Sk etch_2011-05-01_05_48_58.png

http://robliefeldcreations.com/?p=2664

Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

wow, the Mignola/Liefeld post is interesting. Those breakdowns are kinda hard to decipher sometimes. Perhaps that's why he said they were "fun". Are most books done from breakdowns done this rough? Honestly, I was surprised at how good they were considering the time period that they were done. A lot of those early issues of X-Force are pretty rough to look at. I guess something does fall apart from the sketch to the finished product.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

I remember when I first saw that costume (geez, I was YOUNG then) and I thought it was very striking. I always like the red, white and black color scheme of it. I was happy when JB used it for the U.S. Agent in the West Coast Avengers because I thought the costume was too cool to just not use for someone.

I'd rather see Cap wear this again then the crap they're making up now!

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

I remember reading the Hawk & Dove mini by Liefeld and completely falling in love with his style. I read that comic a zillion times. Then I kept following his work until it became really bizarre to my eyes.

Remember that Wolverine story on What If drawn by him, with Scott Williams inking? That was really not bad for the time. How come he didn't bother on evolving at all later?

"Then came Heroes Reborn. I boldly stepped up to the plate with a sure-to-be-controversial Captain America reboot and made the mistake of drawing one horrible Captain America picture that drew the largest ire of my career. But more than that, I was in the middle of a Marvel Civil War."

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

Michael,that's the first Captain America comic I bought. That storyline of John Walker as Cap is,I think,Gruenwald's best Cap story. The Captain uniform was indeed a very striking uniform at the time and stood out to me on that cover.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

Cap Nekkid 2

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 10  

++

I remember when I first saw that costume (geez, I was YOUNG then) and I thought it was very striking. I always like the red, white and black color scheme of it. I was happy when JB used it for the U.S. Agent in the West Coast Avengers because I thought the costume was too cool to just not use for someone.

••

Not quite sure what you're saying. USAgent was Mark Gruenwald's creation, and it was on his orders that the character was added to the membership of the West Coast Avengers. (Same way Quasar got into the East Coast team.)

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 11  

JB,did you have any difficulty writing the character seeing as how it wasn't your choice to have him in the book? By that,I mean establishing in your mind how you were going to approach writing USAgent and what kind of character development you could do to him?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 12  

JB,did you have any difficulty writing the character seeing as how it wasn't your choice to have him in the book? By that,I mean establishing in your mind how you were going to approach writing USAgent and what kind of character development you could do to him?

••

Fortunately, the character was interesting enough that he immediately suggested some subplot elements I could do with him. Unlike Quasar, who was a complete waste of space!

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version