Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Now-Captain America-WOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 1  

Well they could just stop mishandling the "current" versions. Of course in their minds that would require a year long crossover to explain their change of heart.

••

This is something that has been going wrong at Marvel, and, indeed, in superhero comics in general, for a long time. Once, if something was deemed no longer to be working, the solution was STOP DOING IT. Now, it has to be a STORY, or a STORY ARC.

The first time I encountered this was decades ago, when I drew an issue of one of the Spider-Man books, and, as usual, drew the underarm webbing on the costume. The editor called me. "We don't do that any more." "But it's on the CORNER SYMBOL," I pointed out. "It is?" he said. "Oh -- well, stop doing it, and we'll do a story about why Spidey took the webbing off."

How DC!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 2  

Super-Heroes don't need fashion upgrades, whatever happened to the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought?

••

I died when the singers became more important than the songs. It's been a long time since this was about serving the best interests of the characters, rather than the egos of the "creative" teams. Now, every new artist and writer has to "make a mark".

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 3  

Ultron is the top Avengers villain for me!!! I'm totally shocked they didn't set up HIM for the movie's next villain instead of Thanos. Seems like a no-brainer to me... 'course Hollywood always misses the point.

As for the costumes talked about here, i'm in thew camp of NOT messing with something that's timeless and NOT BROKEN.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 4  

"I've on occasion added the X-buckle to the 'All New All Different' costumes. The experiment falls apart with Nightcrawler."

And I think the Uncanny X-Men costumes of the '70s prove you don't even need the X-buckles... they can have their own, unique designs and still be called "The X-Men."

Apparently, Merry Modern M***** thinks even that's too subtle.  So:  X's everywhere!!!  You know, in case you missed that giant logo on the front cover...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

The irony here is that when I was doing HIDDEN YEARS I drew the Stratojet as Dave Cockrum had drawn it, with a big X-MEN on the tail(s). Marvel had them blacked out, because "the X-Men wouldn't do that".

Continuity? Wassat?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
And I think the Uncanny X-Men costumes of the '70s prove you don't even need the X-buckles... they can have their own, unique designs and still be called "The X-Men."
Yes and no. The X-Men were a team like the FF or the Doom Patrol not an ad hoc group of heroes like the JLA or the Avengers. So there should be a certain unity in costume design, With the school uniforms and the graduate uniforms there were. The AN AD X-Men weren't quite the team the originals were, but closer to the individuals banded together type group typified by the JLA. 

The opposite became evident when the Avengers were given team jackets a few years back ( with a spiffy logo) or more recently in the new 52 JLA where all the members look like they went to the same designer for their costumes.  Neither group needs to "look like team".  That misses the point of what they are. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

I figured I'd drop Captain America when the current series wrapped up, but I love those preview pages from JR Jr.  He's been one of my favorites for 25 years now, and it's always hard to pass up new work from him.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
"the X-Men wouldn't do that".

Of course not, it's not as if the Fantastic Four have a big number 4 on the Fantasticar or the Avengers a big letter 'A' on the Quinjets, or heaven forbid the Champions have a 'C' on the Champscraft! I just don't get the editorial think at Marvel anymore.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 9  

The objection to the X-MEN on the Stratojet tail sprang from an all-too-common mode of thinking in comics: What We Are Doing NOW Is How It Is!

So, since the X-Men were busy being dark and mysterious in their "regular" titles at the time I was doing HIDDEN YEARS, the fact that during the time frame covered by XHY they were very open and busy being the public face of mutants -- well, that didn't FIT.

Funny thing there, of course, is that you may recall one of the many excuses offered for canceling XHY was that it had no distinctive "voice" of its own.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

or the Avengers a big letter 'A' on the Quinjets

Or on ugly brown jackets...

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 11  

The Avengers cover I posted above reminded me of something else.  

There's an issue of Thor - might have been the DeFalco/frenz issues - where a bearded Hercules is criticizing Thor's manliness because he'd shaved his own beard off.

A few years later, Hercules looked like this. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

Why did the Black Knight have stubble?  I don't get the whole stubble thing. Sure it makes sense sometimes. Like if Reed is working 24/7 to save the world. Or Fury has been behind enemy lines for a week. But I see characters like Batman and lately Hawkeye sporting stubble for no reason. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version