Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Now-Captain America-WOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

My only 'criticism' of George Pérez (and it's not so much a complaint as it is an observation of his work in the context of other artists)?

His costume designs. (...no, wait! It's not what it sounds like, honest!)

For the record, I don't at all consider them to be in any way 'bad' (I LOVE Deathstroke and Taskmaster, I'm quite partial to Nightwing's original, and even the 'gypsy' Scarlet Witch one isn't bad - it's just not suited to Wanda) - it's purely because they're so full of little esoteric touches that are Pérez' speciality, that almost every other artist who has to draw them is fighting an uphill battle to do them justice (or even get them right!)

Case in point: google 'Vance Astrovik', and look for George's costume design (the blue/black/white one with the little gold strips and abstract motif on the 'belt' area) - prime example of a Pérez-designed costume that only George Pérez could make work.

Reminds me of a flautist/composer I know, who writes ludicrously difficult things for people to play, because he writes stuff that he's able to pull off - on flute. Then it's up to a guy like me to perform it on baritone saxophone (and I'm no slouch, but it's worth remembering that a baritone sax is the woodwind equivalent of a tuba) - gee, thanks for nothing, buddy! In fairness, it all sounds fantastic, but it's a hell of a workout for the poor schmucks who have to play it...

Edited by Rick Shepherd on 20 August 2012 at 9:26pm
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

Perez and Byrne - two people that make sure every woman they draw looks different.

Remember when Perez started to slightly change Raven over the course of a year or so - sinking the cheekbones and moving the hairliine? Couldn't put my finger on what was happening and then they pointed it out as a plot point? Yeah, that's subtlety of art that you don't often see in comics.

Look at Byrne's women - from ultra slim to ultra large, different sized and shaped bodies. Gravity works on these people. Some of my favourite panels are from Scott and Jean on the mountaintop picnic. Just brilliant.

And yeah, Perez and Ultron. What can you say other than wow.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

Perez is the best.

(sorry Mr Byrne - Perez, Neal Adams, John Buscema are my top three -- the other positions change.  Mr Byrne, you're usually in my top 5)

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

If he could just get that Kirby Krackle down.
----------------------
Perez deserves his own 'energy signature' name... 'Perez Popcorn'? Somethin', anyways...

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

While I agree with the comment about Perez's costumes, there were some great ones, like Brother Blood. More important, he was the first artist, for me, that drew different facial and body types. 

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

Damn - Brother Blood! Knew I'd forgotten another gem - heck, all those Teen Titans costumes are great. But again, look at the unique looks he came up with, from Raven's distinctive facial features, or Starfire's hair. I've read interviews where he mentioned putting real effort into making each character look like an individual, rather than just drawing generic people in different costumes - compare that to lesser artists' takes on the characters, where they do exactly that (like giving Starfire generic long hair, rather than Pérez' unique version).

And it works the other way around, too - I've seen terrible character designs by other artists that, when put in the hands of GP, look really quite something! For example, Jim Lee's 'New 52' (ugh...) designs are flat-out naff - I'm not sure whether he was being paid by the line or something, but all those extra lines are totally superfluous, and nothing makes a superhero look weak like shoving them in 'power armour'. And yet take a look at George Pérez' covers to the 'New 52' Superman, and while he can't make it magically into a 'good' design, he can make it look 100 times better, because he's just that good!

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
I've read interviews where he mentioned putting real effort into making each character look like an individual, rather than just drawing generic people in different costumes.

Gene (The Dean) Colan had a real flair for that as well.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged | 8  

It never ceases to amaze and delight me that Steve Rogers and Clint Barton, both blonde haired and blue eyed guys, are as instantly recognizable to me as individuals under Pérez' pencil as Captain America and Hawkeye are in costume. 

He's amazing!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 9  

The Scarlet Witch costume change was originally part of the storyline where the Avengers were transformed by Morgan LeFey into a warped midevil versions of themselves (Avengers vol. 3 #1-3). All of them looked different. When they set things right she ended up adopting the costume. 

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 10  

Just because I'm curious--JB, or anyone, what is the policy of using "Kirby Krackle" at DC?  It has become to be associated with Marvel, at least to me.  I was mainly a Marvel reader so if it was used at DC I am unaware.  Is/was there a mandate at DC on it's use?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 11  

… there were some great ones, like Brother Blood. More important…

••

Brother Blood appeared in THE TEEN TITANS around the same time I was gearing up to introduce the Master of the World in ALPHA FLIGHT. When I sat down to design the Master's look, I found I kept "defaulting" to Brother Blood. Could not get that design out of my head.

Years later, George and I were chatting and I mentioned this to him. He chuckled and told me Brother Blood was his deliberate attempt to design "a John Byrne character".

So that explained that!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 12  

Just because I'm curious--JB, or anyone, what is the policy of using "Kirby Krackle" at DC? It has become to be associated with Marvel, at least to me. I was mainly a Marvel reader so if it was used at DC I am unaware. Is/was there a mandate at DC on it's use?

••

No policy that I am aware of. In fact, DC insisted on having some in the GENESIS miniseries logo -- atho, typically, they used it incorrectly.

Used properly, "Kirby krackle" defines the space it surrounds. It should not be rendered as a form or "object" unto itself.

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version