Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Now-Captain America-WOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mainly because most of said changes stop superheroes looking like, y'know, SUPERHEROES!

Look, Marvel/DC, I get it - your current 'hot' writers and artists are of the 'post-Watchmen' mentality, and thus are embarrased to do a 'straight' take on superheroes, instead of the more 'sophisticated' approach of mocking, dissecting or just outright opposing the traditional staples of those hokey ol' superhero stories from the kiddies' comics*. But here's a crazy idea - since your main stock-in-trade is traditional-style superheroes, maybe it's worth forcing said 'creators'-du-jour to treat them properly - or put those guys on projects that suit their proclivities, and hire people on the superhero books who know how to handle them!

Crazy talk, I know - that's probably why I'd never get a job at the Big Two with an attitude like that...

*oh, wait - according to the former head of Marvel, 8-year-olds 'never read comics'. My mistake - I mean, it's not like someone in such a position in the industry could be completely ignorant to the history of the profession, right?

Back to Top profile | search

Frank Stone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

The Rogue design is really just a variation on her original costume, so no big deal. The Scarlet Witch just looks kinda wrong. And that Havok design gave me the best laugh I've had all week.

Also, Tom Brevoort apparently doesn't know what a "tiara" is.

Perhaps moreso than the new character/costume designs, the designation "Marvel NOW" (with emphasis on the "NOW") illustrates the problem with this whole endeavor: The company is basically announcing, "Look how hip and modern and trendy we are!" In other words, announcing that they're cool. And as we all know, if you have to tell people how cool you are, chances are you're not that cool.

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm puzzled as to why his shirt is skintight and his pants are loose fitting and wrinkly!

I don't hate it but I don't think its an improvement whatsoever either.

Should we just start dropping the "W" from Marvel NOW already?

*sigh*

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
according to the former head of Marvel, 8-year-olds 'never read comics

Now that's just a bald faced lie, I know that when I was eight I did, and I'll bet a little eight year old boy named John Byrne did as well.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

The page JB posted is, in some ways, not that far from moments of the Adam West Batman -- Batman as scientist and tutor to Robin. If only I had a time machine and could tweak the more extreme camp and comedy... some of the scripts would just need minor editing... much of the problem was in the direction and casting of some of the later villains.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

I really wish that the Big 2 would create a separate line of books that is truly all ages (not the crap that they pass off as all ages like the Marvel adventures line) and promote the line as a newly rebooted MU and DCU. The reboot could be done the way JB has said withthe clock being rolled back to a certain point in each character's history and then move on from their.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

Re Havok...Neal Adams' original design for Havok (and his re-design of Angel debuting in X-Men #63) has generally been regarded as one of the all-time great superhero costume designs.  That solid black was so strong and effective, with the concentric circles radiating outwards in all directions.

This new iteration..?  Not so much.  Talk about missing the point...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

I love that they go through all this trouble to put the Scarlet Witch in a trench coat/dress in an attempt to cover her up more(?), but still leave her with acres of cleavage.

Returning Rogue to something more of her original look makes sense. It never made sense to me to have her dressed like a hoochie mama showing plenty of skin as she has been for the last 15 years or so. If any character should be more covered up, it's her.

Edited by Glen Keith on 16 August 2012 at 6:59pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

My first thought about those sketches was "THIS is what John Cassaday's pencils look like?" They are a tad less... confident than his finished product.

As to the designs themselves-- when will this ride ever end? I have no insight to the mind that would compare these to the originals and see improvement

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

Rogue's look is ok, as its just harkening back to her 80's look, but the Havok and Scarlet Witch "costumes" suck @$$. Seriously, Wanda in a leather trenchcoat? Havok with regular pants?

I'm already down to just collecting/reading the Avengers and New Avengers titles from Marvel and now it looks like I have my jump off point. I love my Avengers, but if this is the lame way they will be presented now, no thanks. 

Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'm also contemplating Marvel NO(W) as my jump off point. It makes me sad and it will be hard to do. It's like I feel like I don't want to give up on them, but then I think about it and realize they've already given up on me.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

"It's like I feel like I don't want to give up on them, but then I think about it and realize they've already given up on me."

This is exactly how I feel! Well put.

I've been in love with Wanda since I first laid eyes on her back when I was 5 (I blame JB and George Perez for that), so needless to say, I was very unimpressed with how Bendis pulled a major character assassination on her. I've been waiting for years now for her to be brought back, redeemed, and join the Avengers.

This Wanda wearing a leather duster nonsense just further shakes my confidence in everything. I'm done waiting.

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version