Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Now-Captain America-WOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 1  

What a hilariously chilling image!
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

LOL! So true, I was watching Bonanza with my daughter a couple of weeks back, and when Little Joe asked the girl to marry him I told my daughter, "Well she's as good as dead." sure enough by the end of the episode she was.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

The must keep the cemetery as far away from the ranch house as possible, as not to scare off potential brides. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

For some reason it really bugs me that Angel's knee and foot are "out of frame" on the new X-Men cover. The premise of the new series excites me, but I'm just not a fan of Bendis' writing.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

I was reading some fan speculation on this X-Men time jump, one suggested it might be interesting if they were to do the book in the 1960's style, sort of like the Marvel Flashback of a few years back with old style art and panels when we see things from the original team's point of view.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB wrote:
Whenever I offer my Sage Council, someone invariably points to an example of my having broken my own "rules".

But what I emphasize in these cases, is that the opinions I offer are born from years -- well, yes, DECADES -- in the business. I did not spring fully grown from Zeus' head, already knowing all this stuff. It took me a long time -- and not a few times of doing it WRONG -- to figure out how to do it RIGHT.

John, I'm sorry if my follow-up question came across as an attempt to point out where you've contradicted yourself.  That wasn't my intent.  I appreciate your perspective on the issue and having the opportunity to engage you in these kinds of discussions. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

I remember enjoying a lot of those "flashback" issues. Especially the Incredible Hulk issue.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Unlike DC and Warner Brothers who have some distance between them,  Marvel Films and Marvel Comics are inextricably intertwined.

You're right, Matt. That's why we have Captain America in body armor, a Tony Stark that acts like Robert Downey Jr., and Hawkeye in shades and a very bland costume in the comics. Tom Brevoort is the guy that suprises me in all this. I've heard that he was the kind of guy that didn't allow characters to have frivolous changes. Not sure how much of that is true but he's the now the guy that explains to us why these changes needed to be made. 

Edited by Shawn Kane on 14 August 2012 at 7:45pm

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

When did this happen? When did it become "cool" to bitch about such things, instead of being the oddball who was looked at askance for wasting time on such thoughts?

When those people started becoming the people in charge, I guess. Does anyone really want to see Bart and Lisa in high school and beyond? Maybe I shouldn't ask that because I'm sure that someone does. Ugh. 

Edited by Shawn Kane on 14 August 2012 at 7:46pm

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm starting to think that some modern readers don't "get" Marvel's sliding time scale, and seem to think that the original X-Men are coming to the present from the 1960's.  I see some folks speculating that this new mag will have such out of time gags as Scott stopping to fill up the Professor's Rolls Royce with gas with only $2.00 in his pocket. SHEESH!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 August 2012 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 11  

Does anyone really want to see Bart and Lisa in high school and beyond? Maybe I shouldn't ask that because I'm sure that someone does. Ugh.

••

Oh, you can bet the house on that! SO many times, when I have gotten into this debate over the years, and pointed out to those who want "real time" that Batman would be in his 90s, I have been told (with straight faces) that a ninety year old Batman would be "interesting".

This is a typical manifestation in some who have been reading comics too long. They have forgotten what it was that drew them to the books and characters in the first place. And, if they can somehow connect to those lost memories, they cannot imagine that ancient superheroes would be as interesting to new readers as were the youthful ones they encountered when they were new.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 August 2012 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 12  

I'm starting to think that some modern readers don't "get" Marvel's sliding time scale, and seem to think that the original X-Men are coming to the present from the 1960's. I see some folks speculating that this new mag will have such out of time gags as Scott stopping to fill up the Professor's Rolls Royce with gas with only $2.00 in his pocket. SHEESH!

••

The whole time thing is the biggest problem of an idea like this. When I did HIDDEN YEARS, I received a flurry of complaints about Bobby Drake wearing his baseball cap backwards, because, you know, that was not done in the Seventies.

Oddly, no one complained about Prof X owning a Hummer!

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version