Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Now-Captain America-WOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 1  

Remember when Marvel used to make fun of DC? Now they trip over themselves to copy their mistakes.

••

The back and forth flow of talent between Marvel and DC has been erasing the distinctions between the companies for decades now. And, sadly enough, it certainly didn't help that Mark Gruenwald rose to the position of power he held at the end. Mark was a dear friend, but he really had no place at Marvel -- he was a DC guy thru-and-thru. And once in a position to do so, he set about dragging as many DC concepts into Marvel as he could.

Production techniques have also contributed. Marvel comics used to look, feel, and even SMELL different from DC. Now everything is the same, even comics produced by the tiniest publishers get the same level of production values. Which is one of the reasons everything seems to be hi-priced fanzines, these days, not professional publications.

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 2  

I don't even know how to address this nonsense. There was no need to change this classic costume. Even if you did change it, wouldn't it be smart to make it easy for an artist to draw the character 20-50 times in an issue? Why make it difficult for them? Design a costume that makes it easier for an artist not harder. I have no background in publishing monthly periodicals but I seem to grasp the concept of making things easier to hit deadlines, not making them harder. Why don't the actual publishers of comic books understand this?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 3  

From the designs in that link the original sketch is just ridiculously compicated -- you can see why Cassaday tried to streamline it. Could the gauntlets be any more (unneccessarily) complicated? The sad thing is that the correct end point of streamlining it would be to arrive at the proper costume, but they won't do that.

It seems like Opena was designing a costume for a movie ("attaches w/ velcro") rather than for a comic.

The helmet looks like the kind of thing they'd end up with in a 70s Captain America movie where they couldn't deliver the correct look of the comic through material limitations.... but in comic book land you don't have to worry about materials. You can make it look correct every time. You just have to draw it the way Joe Simon designed it!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 4  

I have no background in publishing monthly periodicals but I seem to grasp the concept of making things easier to hit deadlines, not making them harder. Why don't the actual publishers of comic books understand this?

••

Probably because most of THEM have no background in publishing monthly periodicals!

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel sold its soul to Hollywood...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 6  

I can't wait to pick up my Captain Motocross of America comic.

More is better right...?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Centofanti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 7  

Marvel sold its soul to Hollywood...
-----

Honestly, they've been selling it off, piece by piece since the early 70s. Everytime Marvel was bought, a little bit of the magic faded.

I'd say the last vesitges of MARVEL were gone right by the early 1990s.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 8  

In a world where Reed Richards can develop uniforms made from unstable molecules, why on earth would Captain America need shin guards on his boots that stay in place with velcro?

Edited by Mark McKay on 27 July 2012 at 8:38am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 9  

Was that an explosion from the next street over?  I'll investigate in an hour, after I get my costume on.  Now, where does this buckle attach again?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ray Dyas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 10  

Damn.  Just.........damn....SMH.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 11  

Remarkable, incredible, amazing, marvellous, awesome! That costume looks none of these things. It looks like something you'd pick up at a GI surplus store or a bike shop. They've made Captain America look mundane.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 12  

Pulling out the well-worn paraphrased quote from 'Jurassic Park', yet again...

"Ah, now eventually you do plan to have superheroes in your superhero comicbooks, right?"

Of course, part of me now just wants to slap the faces of the apologists who rush to the defense of every Hollywood mangling of superheroes, saying that "they can enjoy the comics and movies as two different things". Well, thanks. You paid for your tickets, and told the world "yes! Please, take my money, and feel free to **** these characters up!" Why suddenly act surprised when the Big Two sees this as tacit approval to do the same to the actual characters from the comics? You made the movies smash box-office records by fawning over them, so it's your fault we're getting movie-ized Captain America and co., all channels, all the time.

[EDIT] Oh, and over at the 'Distinguished Competition', lest we forget there's THIS going on as well:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40083

Anyone really surprised we've got a movie coming out about an aimless, angsty young Superman who's trying to find himself (yawn...), when JMS and Morrison already gave us pontificating Superman walking across America (nevermind that Metallo might be tearing Metropolis a new one - play that Bob Dylan soundtrack while I traipse across the midwest, looking smug...), and 'Super-everyman' in a t-shirt and jeans.

...y'know what? Sorry to be crude, but **** this ****. All of it. 'The Dark Knight', 'The Amazing Spalding-Man', 'Marvel NOW', 'The New 52' - everywhere I turn, people are screwing up these characters and consigning the classic versions more and more to the history books. I can't in good conscience go to the cinema and watch 'TDKR' because 'any Batman movie is better than no Batman movies' - same with the comicbooks.

Bottom line: if the people in charge (lunatics running the asylum, more like...) can't/won't give me the REAL characters that they should be writing comics and movies about, then I'm not going to pander to them with my hard-earned farthings, and anyone who cares about respecting these iconic, fantastic characters and their incredible stories (not to mention the talented writers and artists who breathed life into them time and time again) should take heed of this and do the same.

Vote with your wallets, folks - it's the only thing that these people will now listen to.

/soapbox rant

Edited by Rick Shepherd on 27 July 2012 at 9:56am

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version