Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Now-Captain America-WOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hitch and Liefeld are the polar opposite ends of the spectrum for me. Hitch is hyper detailed and realistic, Liefeld is crude and cartoony. I'm a fan of neither artist* but Liefeld's art at least has some fun in it. I tried to check out America's Got Superpowers and Hitch's work is just so boring to me.

*Both are WAY better artists than I'll ever be.

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

I've been reading and re-reading this thread. Looking and looking again at the new Captain America costume. I'm trying to put into words what I think. All I can think is that it's so fucking ugly. It makes the New 52 costumes look great in comparison. That's saying something.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

Speaking of Marvel now, How about those 60s X-Men being brought to the present day to fight along side the current group? The All New X-Men a BMB production. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

Artists like Hitch are a problem for me because every time I look at their work, I see a person posing, I don't see action. It's like Alex Ross, or Greg Land (who really does just trace the same posed pictures over and over again...). 

That's not to say they aren't talented, or even that some of their art isn't really beautiful to look at; I myself have all of the Alex Ross DC Absolutes that have been released, and re-purchased Marvels in the oversized hardcover when I saw it on sale because all I had before it was the trade paperback. I really like Marvels (because it makes good use of Ross' "real-world" approach) and Kingdom Come (for the scope of the story and again, the more grounded approach) but Justice and the World's Greatest Comics (with Paul Dini) Absolutes are basically just art portfolios to me. Pretty ones, but they aren't great comics, y'know?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

I thought Justice worked pretty well since it was Ross painting over another penciler's work so it had a bit more dynamism to the layouts that his work was otherwise quickly losing.

Love seeing his pencils and would like to see if a comic penciled by him but inked and colored in a traditional style might actually have more energy. I find that the more painterly the coloring in comics have gotten, the less energy and oomph they actually have. Think it's the getting rid of the bold solid blacks and line work, that's having the opposite effect that you'd want in a superhero comic.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 6  

Hitch and Liefeld are the polar opposite ends of the spectrum for me. Hitch is hyper detailed and realistic, Liefeld is crude and cartoony. I'm a fan of neither artist* but Liefeld's art at least has some fun in it. I tried to check out America's Got Superpowers and Hitch's work is just so boring to me.

••

Hitch is unquestionably a talented artist (tho his characters tend to stand in front of the light source a bit too much for my taste), but what principally separates him from Davis is that Alan usually stays on-model, while Hitch is very much from the Here's-How-I-Draw-These-Characters school.

And I'm sure you all know by now which I prefer!

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 7  

Speaking of Marvel now, How about those 60s X-Men being brought to the present day to fight along side the current group? The All New X-Men a BMB production. 

I am starting to suspect they are doing this because Cyclops isn't going to make it out of AvX.  If we get an enjoyable Silver Age-y Cyclops in exchange for Post-Magneto D-Bag Cyclops... seems a fair trade for a shaky premise.

Sebastien Roy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 8  

According to recent news, writer Rick Remender and artist John Romita Jr. are going to be the new creative team on the Captain America relaunch.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 9  

...the Captain America relaunch.
---
Another one?!?

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 10  

Not looking forward to the Original X-Men being handled by Bendis but
this comment from Immonen rubbed me the wrong way:

QUOTE:
After quite a bit of discussion, we collectively decided to keep
the original costumes as is, at least for the first story arc. I am not a fan
of the gym shorts and balaclava look — I think it was not Jack’s finest
hour — but in terms of the story, it makes the most sense.

I think Cyclops is going to make it out of AvX, he's been shown with
that new X-Shaped visor/helmet. Now Emma I'm not so sure about.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
I think it was not Jack’s finest
hour

What unmitigated arrogance!

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Oh that's right!  Cyclops looks like a cross between DareDevil and The Wizard in the Marvel NOW solicit!  So much for my theory.

So far, the only book I have any interest in after the NOW relaunch is Waid and Yu on Incredible Hulk.  And maybe the new Deadpool book if it's any fun.  The "Chimichangas" solicit did a lot to woo me.

I hope Waid's Daredevil, Deconnick's Captain Marvel, Yost's Scarlet Spider and Remender's Venom survive this craziness.  Already bummed about the end of Rucka's Punisher.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 04 August 2012 at 7:41am

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version