Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: "...his art is a little dated..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've noticed that many fans have considered the classic comic stuff as dated, many new artist are doing the action look lame but "realistic" to avoid being called classic or old school. They might have great skills, but fail to bring excitement to the pages.

You know how to make each panel worth, and maybe that's why some find your art "dated", because you bring the kind of excitement that make fans feel like kids again -and that makes them feel guilty-.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 2  

I concur Victor. A lot of today's comics are born out of the -Every-Page-Is-A-Splash-Page mentality of the 90's/Image style and the need to adopt "widescreen" is a fundimental part of the storytelling, post-Ultimates!

I look back at comics from -any- age and see lot's of natural poses but when the action requires it, we see the dynamic nature of comic-books express themselves. Something that film can't do, thanks to it's regular screen ratio.
Now it's like comics have taken two things out of it's arsenal in order to appear more like storyboards! As a storyboard artist myself, this has proved most dissapointing to see comics turn into promotional material for the next summer block buster!

Let's have our characters contort themselves into the most dynamic poses, let's have the ebb and flow of drama and action put back into our panels!

-D
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 3  

Oh, and John, I'm 100% certain that when you are surrounded by the stuff that grows roses in this day and age, saying that you are dated is a huge compliment!

I have a BoTD page with the demon leaping out at me right next to my computer and it is -everything- I love about comics in a single page. So please, keep delivering as you always have, fabulous art and storytelling.

-D

Frank Carchia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 4  

All of this "his old stuff is better"  or "new stuff looks dated" BS seems like it's masking some very basic feelings:  jealousy.and resentment.  Listen, the jury's in, people.  JB has been a distinct force in comics for nearly 40(!) years who has produced some of the best known and loved comics of all time.  The fact that he continues to improve and basically show everyone else how its done correctly is simply a testament to his great ability, work ethic and drive to create. 

He is simply a master of the form. 

Back to Top profile | search

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 5  

Oh, I don't think there's any shortage of jealousy for JB.

David, I agree with everything you said.  As you pointed out, music is an easy example.  I'm not sure if the comic industry is easier to break into because of the digital age tho.  Cronyism seems to be the rule there.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 6  

All of this "his old stuff is better" or "new stuff looks dated" BS seems like it's masking some very basic feelings: jealousy.and resentment.

••

More of the latter than the former, I think.

As I have often said, my meteoric rise was largely undeserved. One of the things that makes me cringe when I hear "his old stuff was better" is that it so obviously WASN'T. Not if you have any kind of artistic awareness, anyway.

When I look back on X-MEN, FF, ALPHA FLIGHT, all the work that ignited my star and kept it burning for so many years, I see SO much work still left to do. SO much that I have yet to master.

Something in that work obviously clicked with the fans, and I don't want to denigrate their taste, since obviously I have profited from it, but there were plenty of artists who were better than me who DIDN'T get the adulation, and who, I am sure, resented my success.

Heck, I have said the same thing of myself when I've been called "jealous" of the Image boys. Not jealous. Resentful. Seeing artists who are far below me in skill being raised to Olympian heights is incredibly frustrating, just as my own rise must have been for those better than me.

(Factor in some periods when the art really did go off into areas that I didn't like, and you have the recipe for, well, exactly what we've seen. And, when you have many fans who seem unable to express themselves except in sound bytes they've been taught, and unable to change those sound byte even when circumstances change, and...)

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 7  

I've been trying hard to change my attitude the best I can to avoid the "you're just jealous" thing. I used to complain so much about stuff I thought wasn't really deserving all the attention it was getting. Sometimes it's pretty damn hard to resist, but nowadays I try to focus on the fact that I feel pretty great with the music I produce, while some of the "successful" people doing it in a sort of mechanical way, hardly ever enjoying it.

I'm lucky to earn a decent living out of it and have time and great companions to work with me on art that has my own selfish vision.

But it sure makes you a bit nuts to see people completely devoid of any talent getting huge rewards.

At least, in the end, very few living comic book creators will have such a respectful career as yours, JB. The fact that you didn't do the whole "comics as a stepping stone" is a huge sign of consistency and integrity for me. I'm sure temptations weren't few!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm going to start saying JB "Your old stuff is better". Better then most of what is now passed as comic art. Your newer stuff is better then your older stuff.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 11 July 2012 at 8:54am

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 9  

When I look back on X-MEN, FF, ALPHA FLIGHT, all the work that ignited my star and kept it burning for so many years, I see SO much work still left to do. SO much that I have yet to master.

I stopped reading comics before JB finished his FF run -- and yet I'm still a huge fan. Yes, some "thing" about that young work clicked with me. But I strongly aver that his recent, let's say old-er stuff is incredible. Clicked schmicked!

Larry Lawrence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 10  

All of this "his old stuff is better" or "new stuff looks dated" BS seems like it's masking some very basic feelings: jealousy.and resentment.

Those comments may also be translated as: "I liked comics better when I was a kid."

Sue Ward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 11  

It's down to what peoples tasts are these days i would buy what i like not what people think i should like.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Something in that work obviously clicked with the fans, and I don't want to denigrate their taste, since obviously I have profited from it, but there were plenty of artists who were better than me who DIDN'T get the adulation, and who, I am sure, resented my success.

It depends on what your definition of better is. Perhaps there were better artists than you during your rise, in terms of being good at drawing things, but I think when you factor in your storytelling abilities, your ability to lay out a scene/panel/page in the optimal way and your ability to have the characters emote in a correct and clear way within the context of a story, I think very, very few others approached your skills, and still don't. I think as much of that contributed to your success as did your artistic style.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version