Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: "...his art is a little dated..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 1  

Interestingly, I just read an old 1989 interview with Tim Burton.  He said he was at the 1979 SDCC, and somebody from Warner Brothers had brought a slide show (!) about the upcoming Superman movie.  When he put up a photo of Christopher Reeve changing into Superman on the ledge of a building, one fan yelled that Superman would never do that!  The film obviously did not respect the legend of the character, and he would boycott the movie!!  The room erupted in applause of support!!!

Ten years later, Tim Burton would be similarly criticized by the fan boys before Batman premiered for casting Michael Keaton in the lead. 

Now, are you folks seriously pre-judging Man of Steel by the new Superman costume?  I thought this was the group that congratulated itself on being enlightened thinkers!

Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 2  

I have no problem with the actor. However that is an ugly suit.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm not judging the acting, the story, anything-- but as Anthony said, that is truly an ugly suit. Over-textured, dark colors... where does any of that mess say "Superman"? It doesn't. And I am concerned that this image reflects a deeper lack of understanding where this character is concerned. If they can't get the costume right, should we trust Snyder to get =Superman= right?

I have my doubts. Hopefully the movie will address them.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 4  

As to the subject of this thread-

JB, I would really like to do a review of TRIO for sfrevu.com. At this point, best to review #3 or wait for IDW to do a TPB? Whatever gives the project the most "bang for the buck" at this point.

Scott Silverstein
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

that superman picture bugs me....especially with that lump in his pants! 

I think old school is essential in comics.....it is a medium where that way of thought and style is essential.....old school represents warmth and passion!!!

respect to Mr. Byrne on his birthday!! cheers!

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

You know who's work I personally find "dated"?  Jim Lee!  I used to really like his style back in the mid 90's or so.  It felt crisp,modern and dynamic to me (even though he clearly couldn't draw a grounded human foot to save his life).  Fog machines sold separately.....

When I see his stuff now in 2012 though I am swept back to....oh....1995 or so.

The designs for his costumes for the New 52  JL all look as though they were ripped out of Wildc.a.t.s.!  All the techie lines in the costumes, the glossy finishes, the pouches and 'stuff'......it works sometimes (his Omega Red design is pretty cool to me)...but not all the time (his Superman is criminal)

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's funny that for the most part, a lot of people don't find Jim Lee's stuff dated, when he's still ploughing the same furrow he started with the X-Men 'straps and pouches' outfits over 20 years ago. Just look at the 'New 52' (god, doesn't that just scream 'marketing department-speke'?) designs, with all the extraneous lines and 'detail for detail's sake' - same old same old.

Although, if you think about it, most comic readers nowadays are probably either 'people who were Image-style comics fans back in the day', or 'people who got in just afterwards, and for them, that stuff is 'iconic' art'. Either way, the Lee/Liefeld look is the dividing line between 'modern' comics, and the 'old-fashioned' stuff of JB, Neal Adams, John Romita Sr., etc. - you know, the stuff that was trying to be COMICBOOK art and tell a story through that medium, rather than the stuff that is either barely more than posters with dialogue balloons stuck on them, or worse, the full-colour storyboards for what desperately wants to be the next 'tent-pole' Hollywood blockbuster...

Edited by Rick Shepherd on 09 July 2012 at 6:03pm

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 8  

Although, if you think about it, most comic readers nowadays are probably either 'people who were Image-style comics fans back in the day', or 'people who got in just afterwards, and for them, that stuff is 'iconic' art'. Either way, the Lee/Liefeld look is the dividing line between 'modern' comics, and the 'old-fashioned' stuff of JB, Neal Adams, John Romita Sr., etc. - you know, the stuff that was trying to be COMICBOOK art and tell a story through that medium, rather than the stuff that is either barely more than posters with dialogue balloons stuck on them, or worse, the full-colour storyboards for what desperately wants to be the next 'tent-pole' Hollywood blockbuster...

I think the difference in generations of artists, at least from the way my mind perceives the images, is that when I look at art from the real masters of the genre, guys like Buscema, Romita, Al Williamson, Neal Adams, JB, just to name a few, I can imagine their styles of art working in anything, whether it's book illustration, advertising, or whatever. These artists know how to DRAW, regardless of where their art eneds up being seen. When it comes to many of the later artists, Image and post-Image, their art looks like it was learned from comic books and is stuck in that medium (and doesn't even work very well in that medium in some cases!). I'm nopt sure if that makes any sense, but what I mean is that I think of John Buscema as an artist, but I can only think of many recent artists as comic book artists.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 9  

It reminds me of the music industry--in the 60's, 70's, 80's for the most part,the artists were much more proficient at playing their instruments.  What do many of todays acts do? They "sample" or basically STEAL from the older artists, all the while blabbering how the older stuff is lame.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 10  

…when I look at art from the real masters of the genre, guys like Buscema, Romita, Al Williamson, Neal Adams, JB, just to name a few, I can imagine their styles of art working in anything, whether it's book illustration, advertising, or whatever. These artists know how to DRAW, regardless of where their art eneds up being seen.

••

That's an important distinction, and one that is lost on many young artists, and wannabe artists. Too many who have taught themselves to "draw" by looking only at comics, without learning how to DRAW.

I go back again to something one of my instructors said at the College. In painting class, one student didn't want to bother with learning drapery, and anatomy, and perspective, since he only wanted to paint "abstracts". But, said the teacher, in order to paint abstracts you have to KNOW what you're LEAVING OUT.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 11  

That was cool on abstract art. I want more art lessons like that please.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

Speaking to Neil's comment about the music industry.....

Kinda off topic (apologies) but..
Does anyone else feel as though the current 'digital age' has made it too easy for mediocre and even poor examples of 'talent' to become acceptable and even prominent?  I have had ongoing discussions with a friend (about 20 years my junior) who insists that outlets like YouTube specifically and the web in general are a boon to the creative world because it has 'unchained the gate' on talent from all over the world and that things are better because there is so much more creative content of any kind for people to see and enjoy.

My argument remains that while we have access to 'more' I am convinced that much of it is 'better'.  To me damn near all of the people we revere as 'stars' of this generation pale in comparison to people who were STARS as long as 25 or even 15 years ago.  There was something about the struggle to break in and break through before the digital age that made the talented people then seem more 'worthy' I guess. 

Music is an easy example. "Today's music ain't got the same soul" a man once sung.  And Bob was right even though that lyric is pretty damned old itself. Is there is 'something' lacking in what we consider star talent today?  Is it too easy for people to put themselves out there and tell the world they are worth paying attention to? There are tons of people on YouTube getting famous by doing things that not too long ago wouldn't get them a second look.  Everybody has an outlet to shine but the downside is that we now see so much more dreck than we used to.  It seems like nearly everyone's idea of what is special and worth paying attention to has diminished. 

Or is this a generational thing like Bob Seger's 30+ year old song makes it seem?

The digital age has made damn near everything 'creative' so much easier to get involved with.  Soccer moms are web designers in their spare time. Kids run home from school to create a song on their iPhone app and then upload it to YouTube and run the risk of becoming famous.  I know thats the way it is...but is it really better for us all?  In too many cases...craftsmanship is dead.

I'm only 47 years old and I keep pretty current on all kinds of trends and topics....but I'm I'm not so sure I like the way things are.

Anybody else feel this way? I hope I was able to articulate my point well enough.

Now I gotta go. Some kids are f-ing around on my lawn again.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version