Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: "...his art is a little dated..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 1  

As close as I came to this concept was the aborted FANTASTIC 4EVER project -- and to even call it "aborted" suggests that it was MUCH further along than it really was.

I agree that Chris went a little crazy with X-MEN FOREVER, tho. I suspect he wanted everyone to know he was BACK IN CHARGE right out of the gate, but unfortunately the approach he took made it very clear to the anal fanboys -- the target audience of a project like this -- that FOREVER was very much NOT the "next issue".

Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Maybe no FANTASTIC 4EVER -- but any chance of a GENERATIONS 4?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 3  

Maybe no FANTASTIC 4EVER -- but any chance of a GENERATIONS 4?

••

About the same.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 4  

Quesada's comment about 'Social Darwinism'. If my understanding of what he means is correct. He has a valid point(  I don't like it)but since i've been a comic reader. It does seem like the old guard for the most part does get swept away to make way for the younger crowd.
 Which never made sense to me. Except for whatever side effects of old age that might inhibit a creator from doing his job. This field of work isn't one where age has too deplete the abilities of the man/woman being able to do their job.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 5  

"Darwinism" isn't really applicable in this case, since the changes that have come upon the industry over the past few decades have been applied deliberately and arbitrarily, and have not come about thru anything akin to "evolution".

It's rather more like the effects on an ecosystem brought about by the building of a mall. Species and habitats wiped out not because it's part of the "natural flow", but because of forces applies artificially.

(In the broadest sense, since Humankind is part of Nature, anything we do is "natural" -- when we devastate an environment by building a dam or unleashing an oil spill, it's really no different from a hurricane or a volcano -- but this doesn't really apply to comics, since the entire system is artificial.)

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 6  

Rick Whiting wrote:
I can't help wondering if Quesada would be so accepting of "social Darwinism" if and when he is older and needs work from the Big 2 and is told "no" because his work wouldn't appeal to "modern readers".

How true it is.  In fact, I'm probably going to be guilty of Schadenfreude when that adage "Be careful of getting what you wish for" finally applies to Joey Q.  Eventually, the kid he is replaced by will end up trashing all of his toys, and we can only hope that it's a reconstructive type of trashing then.

(Likely not, though, given what the culture has become like with today's generations.)

Edited by Carmen Bernardo on 08 July 2012 at 8:42am

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm happily waiting for when the current crop of 'kewl' comic employees are swept aside. When the pendulum swings back away from guys like Bendis and Morrison hopefully the business will still be around!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 8  

Rick Whiting wrote:
I can't help wondering if Quesada would be so accepting of "social Darwinism" if and when he is older and needs work from the Big 2 and is told "no" because his work wouldn't appeal to "modern readers".

How true it is.  In fact, I'm probably going to be guilty of Schadenfreude when that adage "Be careful of getting what you wish for" finally applies to Joey Q.  Eventually, the kid he is replaced by will end up trashing all of his toys, and we can only hope that it's a reconstructive type of trashing then.

(Likely not, though, given what the culture has become like with today's generations.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He has said it's going to happen to him as well.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 9  

What was odd to me--I had never heard of Joey Q.  I was away from comics for a few years and the EiC is some dude I had never heard of, not someone I was surprised by.  I figured when I picked up an issue after a few years, the EiC would be someone like Roger Stern or JB or Frank Miller

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm happily waiting for when the current crop of 'kewl' comic employees are swept aside. When the pendulum swings back away from guys like Bendis and Morrison hopefully the business will still be around!

••

Be careful what you wish for!

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Just out of spite at this point.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 12  

The main (not the only) problem I had with Quesada's "Darwinism" comment is that he made that comment on a forum that Cockrum was also a member of and at a time that Cockrum was looking for work (and I believe it was also around the time that Cockrum started to have health problems). Quesada is a hypocrite who claims to respect creators. Heck, it was even rumored that he personally flew to England in order to try and convince Alan Moore to come back and work for Marvel again. And yet, he couldn't even entertain the idea of hiring Cockrum (who has done more for Marvel then Moore has ever done) to draw a comic for Marvel. Of course, he (most likely because Marvel was shamed into doing so after news of Dave's poor health and money problems hit the mainstream news media) did finally agree to hire Cockrum to draw an 8 page story in Giant Size X-Men #2, but Dave died before he got a chance to draw the story.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version