Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: "...his art is a little dated..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 1  

Perhaps because your style was "in-style" when you hit the scene - even cutting edge for its time - but isn't what is considered to be the "current" style now. You've just stayed consistent while also managing to grow as an artist.

I had the pleasure of visiting a comic book shop months ago that had a John Byrne section, and I was just as excited to find the second part of that Marvel Premiere Ant-Man story as I was to see the first issue of Devils in the Desert.

Art is subjective, people respond to it at a gut level. I don't think anyone could argue that you're not a technically proficient artist. So, it comes down to a purely subjective call. Instead of acknowledging simply that ("I don't like it, but hey, that's just me"), they have to come up with derogatory terms in an attempt to justify their douchebaggerous gospel.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't think any comics look dated really. Because in general comics are very good at least the ones who are successful. For example I watched an old double-8 movie, not super-8 but double-8, that's old. and everything looked incredibly dated EXCEPT the Tin-Tin comic someone held up. That's why the same comics are still alive in Essentials and other reprints. They do not look dated.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Unless it's the reverse, there is an episode of M*A*S*H where Radar is reading a copy of the Avengers during the Korean War.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

Strange suddenly, just for one panel, had the exact same face as Sean Penn!

This has been going on for some time.  The first time I ran into it was when I was in college and picked up the Wolverine Havoc mini-series.  When unmasked, Alex looked just like James Dean!

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

The criticism of a comic book artist's style "being dated" is terribly unfair. Comic books is not the fashion industry, which by necessity out-of-dates its product every year. Comics is not the pop music industry, whose performers lose their appeal as soon as they look or "sound" older than they teen audience they try to relate to. Reviewers who make that claim are at all not cognizant of the very medium they are making judgements about. Or to put it in a way that they would understand, they're fucking idiots.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Some things are timeless not dated. JB's art falls into the category of timeless.  

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

When I see JB, Simonson or Perez, my mind instantly thinks: COMICS.

Most of the new artists, my mind thinks: VIDEOGAMES.

There are some other new artists that I enjoy because their style has a clean animation-like thing to it. But then it's more of a personal taste thing.

When I have to objectively think of timeless styles. It has to be guys like those mentioned above.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

It never ceases to amaze me how hypocritical many fans, editors,and creators can be when it comes to the work of older/veteran creators that they claim to either love or hold in high regard. Many of these same fans and pros are the first to say that their "favorite" veteran creator's work is either "dated" or as Quesada heartlessly said about Dave Cockrum's art that he wouldn't hire Dave to draw any current X-Men stories since his art "wouldn't appeal to today's readers". I believe Quesada called it "social Darwinism" and said that it happens to all artist and will eventually happen to him. I can't help wondering if Quesada would be so accepting of "social Darwinism" if and when he is older and needs work from the Big 2 and is told "no" because his work wouldn't appeal to "modern readers".

Dave Braun
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 9  

It sounds like it was probably meant as a negative criticism, but it is really a good thing. Yes, your work is "dated" in the sense that you can tell by looking at your work that you have been at it for quite a while and that it has a different aesthetic from what is considered "current". That your work is "dated" can only be seen as a negative criticism if one appreciates only what is considered current. Is "current" superior to "dated" simply just because? No. Newer does not necessarily equal better.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 12:19am | IP Logged | 10  

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Quesada never was and never will be on the same level as JB, Perez, John Buscema, Kane, JR.sr/jr,Sienkiewicz, Simonson, Andru, or even lesser known artists like Kerry Gammill, Brent Anderson, the list goes on.

What is he basing the "Social Darwinism" on?  Selling fewer issues?  I know the argument is we are in a different climate and titles don't sell the same numbers as they did 20-30 years ago, but the fact is when the creators he is referring to were on the high profile titles...the titles sold a hell of a lot better.

If a classic creative team got a high profile title and was givin a chance to let it develop, I can't help but think that sales would improve.  When a "classic" creative team is givin a title it seems to be second or third tier character.  I actually can't think of any teams that have been given a title lately, but I may be wrong.  What I've seen is a classic artist with a new writer or vice versa.

Quesada's "Social Darwinism" is an arbitrary term, it's spin.  If sales had been rising or even steady I might buy it, but they are in decline and have been for a long time.  The big 2 have had to resort to events, stunts, deaths, and "coming outs".  These are stop gap cheats to try and improve sales in the short term.  It is what it is and they are doing a very good job of making themselves irrelevant.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 11  

"When a "classic" creative team is givin a title it seems
to be second or third tier character."

I wonder how Claremont's return to the X-Men would have
fared had he taken over the reins of an in-continuity X-
Title, rather than a new title that fans might perceive as
not being the "real" X-Men.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 12  

wonder how Claremont's return to the X-Men would have
fared had he taken over the reins of an in-continuity X-
Title, rather than a new title that fans might perceive as
not being the "real" X-Men.

I think part of the problem with "Forever" was that it wasn't in-continuity and Claremont went hog wild.  He could do whatever he wanted and may have gone overboard. 

I know there is not a chance in hell of it happening, but, if the creative team of JB/Claremont as co-plotters, JB on pencils and Terry on inks, I'm sure the hype would be HUGE and it would sell like hotcakes.

BTW, I don't blame them for not re-teaming.  The pressure would be too much. 

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version