Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10
Topic: "...his art is a little dated..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

Thinking last night: it's cheesecake.

You don't do cheesecake anymore. Strictly objectifying the poses and
outfits and bodies of the women you draw anymore.

Your early Byrne girls were insanely hot, and we all know you still
COULD do this, and it drives the fanboys insane that you CAN but
DON'T.

One way to find out, get Gail or Weezie to write a girlie book, and you
do your most provocative artwork.

I would buy it, but, only because I am a Byrne enthusiast.

And because chicks are hot.
Even ones made from ink on paper.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sue Ward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2012 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 2  

I recieved my Big John Buscema book Comics and Drawings today nothing dated about his work it's fantastic.
Back to Top profile | search

Jeffery Tolbird
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 3  

JB, I think you are like an Oscar winning child star. Your characters
have always "emoted" fantastically thru out your career and to
compare your raw instinctive early work to your honed master work
would be a disservice to both. Apples and oranges....both delicious in
their own, yet distinctly different, way!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2012 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

I do agree that while certain artists where better in certain areas than JB, what made him a "star" was that he was the complete package. The story telling is nearly perfect, you have a bit of Neal Adams realism mixed with Kirby dynamism, etc, etc. I love the work of Howard Chaykin, Gene Colon and Michael Golden (artists that did certain things "better') but there were simply times when the storytelling could have been a bit better. Also, some of those guys simply wouldn't have worked on certain titles stylistically. I think JB's would work in virtually any genre. 

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

Kids used to churn through comics. They were cheap and we used to trade them. It was a monthly habit from 7-8 years on. You read comics and even casual comic fans decided whether they liked squared kirby finger or Ayers fingers on Nick Fury. Comics were like chocolate bars.

10 year olds knew the difference between Marvels and DCs.

I was only 13 by the time Byrne came on the scene but by then I had read DC fine editions, dozens of DC 100 pagers, Stan's Origins series, Marvels Greatest, Marvel Triple Action, Ditko Pocket series .... I was an old man by then!

I could tell new. I might not know quality but I knew when I hadn't seen it it before in something I was prone to want. I was a kid that went to comic cons in 1978 and Xmen and Byrne was what folks were talking about and it was the book I was buying. 

Family summer trip to Atlanta by train....the comics I recall reading and rereading  were Ditko's Machine Man #11, Byrne's Xmen 125 and Avengers 164.

I could tell these things were somewhat different and that I liked them for different reasons but not sure why. 

Looking back...Ditko is kicking ass on that cover.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

I have a buddy who still favors the Doomsday +1 comics as his favorite JB art.  I don't happen to agree with him but I do understand what he likes about it.

For him, that era of art feels more fluid and has more movement and is more "natural".  He agrees that the technical skill that JB has developed has obviously improved but that what he liked back then has been lost.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kurtis J. Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

I guess I could just be crazy, but I've felt pleasantly surprised by many artists in comics today. Professionalism aside (I have no idea how punctual they are), they seem seem head and shoulders above most of the "new batch" of artists from the late 90's...

Christophe Malgrain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged | 8  

I think what some acually mean by " his old stuff was better " is his old stuff was MORE ATTRACTIVE, and it might be true in some areas of JB's work. I've been a JB fan for 30 years and except for the very early stuff, I like all his decades. When I was 15 I thought nothing could be better than JB and Terry Austin's X-Men. Now, many years later, and an artist myself, I can see how much JB has improved over the years. His story-telling, his faces, his camera angles, etc. But it is often said that as an artist keeps moving on the path to perfection, he loses some of his charm. It is often said about guitarists, for instance, who get more and more technical mastery but lose some of their emotional impact.

In JB's case, as I said I'm a huge fan and please fellow fans, do not be scandalized if I offer some criticism. I think JB's current work is amazing, but some elements of it are less attractive than some of his older stuff. His women, for example, have become more realistic, so in a way they are better, but the word better means nothing, because to me, the " best " women he ever drew were those from his Namor run. Namorita, Shanna, all of them. They were more attractive, whether they were super-heroines or more common women , and of course made the comics more attractive and magical. The superheroes looked more powerful too, with broader shoulders . JB has made them look a bit more realistic over the years too. So, to sum up, JB sure is a better artist, more personal and less conventional, but heck, were his conventional heroes and heroines grand ! And I'm not referring to the Namor period because I grew up with it, I read that run when I was 30. So, goodness in art is a tough question and it's not just about drawing well. If I judge artists by their mastery of anatomy, inking, etc, there are many artists I will consider better than JB: Alex Raymond, John Buscema, Moebius and others, but JB's work, even if it looks a bit less attractive than before to me , will always look more attractive (to me, again ) than the works of the guys I mentioned.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2012 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 9  

…the " best " women he ever drew were those from his Namor run…

••

That's a matter of personal taste, and I have no problem with it. However, it does serve to illustrate a real problem I DO have with the "his old stuff was better" criticism, and that is that the "old stuff" varies depending on who is making the claim. As I have noted many times before, it often seems to be a sliding scale, so that I will see work praised as the Best of the Best -- my run on FF for instance -- which AT THE TIME was dismissed as inferior to the "old stuff".

So, "his old stuff was better" becomes meaningless when the "old stuff" is anything I'm not working on NOW!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2012 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 10  

It does jump around. I agree that the best thing that you've ever done might very well be Batman/Captain America (as much for it been spot on as to what you're about as a creator as for the quality) yet the work you did on something long before like the Marvel Team-Up issue featuring Spider-Man and Red Sonja is among your best work at well, at least for me. Of course your overall work on X-Men, FF and Superman outrank those above examples, at least in importance, as focused single examples, those are among the best.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 10
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version