Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: "...his art is a little dated..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 1  

In recent months, I have started to notice that some variant of this line has largely eclipsed "his old stuff was better" as the shorthand fan "reviewers" use to declare how hep an' happenin' they are.

Problem is -- as my sarcastic tone no doubt indicates -- there's something WRONG with this appraisal of my work. Not that it's inaccurate. It may be, for all I know -- but I don't get to know very much, in this case, since I have yet to see a review that tells the reader WHY my "art is a little dated".

What does that MEAN, exactly? In all honesty, it reads a whole lot like people who are not allowing themselves to "review" the work without finding SOMETHING negative to say about it. And, much like "his old stuff was better", "his art is a little dated" is a SAFE comment to make. Just "in the know" enough to be KEWL, but also just vague enough that no one can really call them on it. It's also a bit limp wristed, since "a little dated" kind of approaches the criticism and backs away from it at the same time. Dated, you know, but only a LITTLE dated. . .

Mind you, in one of the reviews in which I came across a variant of this line this morning, I also found my work being called "rushed", which, as we have seen so many times before, is an instant indicator that the writer has no idea what s/he is talking about! It is, after all, absolutely impossible to look at a finished page and know how long it took to produce.

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 2  

We in Europe do not say that.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 3  

Taking a look at recent artists that are new on the hot scene, the only differences I see in the artwork are:

you don't use Photoshop effects to flash it up.

you don't put a huge 8mm thick line around your figures to make them pop out like pinups in every panel.

You don't draw every woman as a hot Playboy bunny, (in)complete with ripped clothes and thong underwear above their sagging pants.

You don't ape Manga artists.

you don't use topical references to MTV shows.

You give the reader room to imagine, and they don't want that. They want everything done for them.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 4  

What exactly are the bonafides for a real comic book reviewer? Any asshat with a computer and net access can post opinions, but  that hardly seems dignified or disciplined.  Are the sources of these nuggets I anti-wisdom legitmate, or just mooks with axes to grind?

Edited by Craig Robinson on 06 July 2012 at 11:40am

Joe Alexander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 5  

Yes, your art is so terribly dated. Just like the (great) art of the past, with your art I can: actually make out what is happening, not get a headache with any blurriness, be able to appreciate the actual sequential aspects that make your storytelling second to none, notice the thought you put into each panel, and still go "wow!" with every issue you put out and every commission you post.

Whatever date that this type of craftmanship and skill are commonplace, please get the old time machine cranked up and take me there.

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

Exactly, Joe.

Keep with the "dated," JB... I for one will continue to equate that with other "dated" artists like Swan, Kirby, Adams, Kubert...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Cottrill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

I take this to mean that you aren't using all the "modern"bells & whistles
to create/cheat/cheapen your art. And I really think they hate you for it but
don't want to come right out and say it.

Makes no difference to me. I'll keep right on buying TRIO,Next Men,and
whatever else you see fit to write and draw. BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

Another term I hear is "old school." I am heavily influenced by artists like George Perez, John Buscema, and especially you, JB, and on my drawing videos on YouTube, I often get comments that describe my style as "old school."

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 9  

Your work looks dated because you were working professionally in the 1970s, and you still are today.  There are really not many people left to keep you company in that accomplishment.  I can think of a few artists from that vintage who put out stuff sporadically (Perez, Kubert Sr., Simonson, Miller) but I cannot name one who publishes monthly like you do.  Do they ever ask you why you keep working so hard?

And your work looks rushed by comparison with today's typical fare because you aren't labouring for 3 days on each page to draw in all the outrageous level of detail seen in the work of artists like Finch or Deodato.  I understand such effort causes the price of the original artowrk to increase substantially.  Of course, it has nothing to do with good story telling, which I think has always been your goal.  Something I observed in art history courses is that most artists progress to less fine detail in their work as the years go on.  When artists start out, they lack confidence in their basic composition and anatomy, so they try to wow the viewer with tons of finicky details.  You are obviously well past that.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

Screw them JB.  If by dated they mean brilliant then they are dead on.

Clint Ludwick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think another term for dated is...classic. That fits JB alil better I think.

Jeff Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think it means 30% of your on-page population isn't morbidly obese...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version