Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: The Hulk vs Jaws (or Incredible Shark-Jumping) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Building on Hulk's flexibility as a character, I was charmed by indie comics guys James Kochalka's take on him from some years back- http://jlutes.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/kochalkahulk01.jpg
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

Received the Hulk book (which I'd I mentioned previously) from Amazon today. It's focused primarily on the TV series, and has tons of interesting interviews and factoids. Highly recommended for any fan of the show!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think of the Hulk as "child-like" in the sense that Anthony Fremont is "child-like" in the classic Twilight Zone episode. A child with limitless power can't help but be destructive, a monster. And the Hulk is impossible to "raise" as any other child would be. There is no parental figure powerful enough.

This was why I liked that JB made Clark Kent develop his powers gradually. A Superbaby... even a Superboy with god-like powers is uncontrollable... and if you hand wave it that Clark is just a perfect, mature kid, then you remove any real growth potential with him.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

Greg --

You mentioned all my favorite Hulk moments -- both in print and media! Thanks for the memories of one of my favorite characters.

Both the live-action TV show and cartoon theme songs can't help but play in my head when I think of those moments from those series.

The curse of the Hulk is the curse of the outcast... he's not a monster... he's not evil... he's not deranged. Why don't writers now *get* that?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

Building on Hulk's flexibility as a character, I was charmed by indie comics guys James Kochalka's take on him from some years back- http://jlutes.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/kochalkahulk01.jpg

••

Since getting wet traditionally infuriates the Hulk --- I don't get it!

Back to Top profile | search

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

This pic was in PIZZAZZ in '78.  I think Dave Cockrum did the art.  It cracked me up then and I still think it's funny.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

Definitely Cockrum! His signature is on the lower right side of the
page. I had a subscription to PIZZAZZ and this is one of the issues I
had!

Peter Urkowitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 8  

This link goes to the original Jason Lutes blog post, with all 4 pages of the James Kochalka Hulk story:

http://jlutes.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/hulk-vs-the-universe/

It also includes Lutes' review of the Ang Lee Hulk movie, which is an interesting, individual take on that movie, worth reading.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 9  

Update:  I've now read up through issue #301 and while I'm continuing to enjoy the comics I'm seeing my prediction slowly proved correct.  After a two year storyline with Bruce Banner in complete control of the Hulk, the savage Hulk returns thanks to Nightmare...but not just the regular old savage Hulk...THE MOST SAVAGE HULK EVER!!!!  The Bruce Banner persona is completely dead (or so we're told) and buried in the recesses of the now savage, animal-like Hulk.  I can just see where this is leading when every story arc has to trump the previous one without Hulk ever returning to the character I recognize as one of my all-time favorites.  Oh well. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

Sorry, Joe. It is a bit of a point of no return for the character. Take heart that there are still some good, even excellent, stories ahead, but yes, for the most part, that classic Banner/Hulk dynamic will pretty much only appear in flashbacks and memory from here on in...

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 11  

Actually Joe, I think you really like the arc after the one you just started.

As for where you are right now, I liked those issues. I remember reading 300 as a kid and just sitting in disbelief that Banner was gone. It really hit me hard. After that one, it was kinda cool to see where the Hulk would end up.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 12  

i was mostly referring to the way he was drawn. Clearly not a typical approach, but it works pretty well in my opinion for this little vignette.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version