Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: X-Men...IN SPACE!!!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Thinking about when the X-Men began to lose me...it would be just after
#150. I didn't much care for all that Brood business, despite the great
artists who worked on those issues, and don't get me started on "Punk
Storm" and the Morlocks.
Back to Top profile | search

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

Funny thing for me,is when I started reading X-Men in my late teens,Claremont and Silvestri were doing the book,but there was also Classic X-Men I picked up as well and started with that during the X-Men's storyline in Japan and Moses Magnum.One,I found the Classic X-Men stories easier to follow and the art was clean and dynamic(it was a bit before I paid attention to who was credited with the book.All I knew was that I dug it) and Two,it was just fun to read.I didn't know beans about the X-Men and jumping in,I didn't feel like I had to read the previous issues to understand what was being shown in the story,but that I wanted to read them.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

The principle difference between "my" X-Men and Chris', is that I knew the whole history and he, for the most part, knew only from the Thomas/Adams stuff. Shortly before I left the book, Chris finally got around to reading all the previous issues, but I've never been convinced he absorbed much.

Compare the series when I was drawing and co-plotting, to what came after. See how often the stories draw (no pun!) upon the more ancient lore, while after I am gone the stories become more and more inbred, drawing on a much smaller well.

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

You want to see Days of Future Past really get convoluted read the Days of Future Present storyline from the early 90s X-men, FF, X-Factor and New Mutants annuals...yikes. I hadn't read DOFP yet when those came out and was so confused.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 5  

Shortly before I left the book, Chris finally got around to reading all the previous issues, but I've never been convinced he absorbed much.

I enjoy how Chris Claremont wrote the X-Men but I never really cared for how he handled the original five when they appeared in the book. During the period that Angel was in the book, he always seemed angry. Beast was handled decently and Iceman, when he appeared, was pretty bland.Cyclops was the one that really bothered me especially after Jean died, it seemed that Claremont just really wanted to retire him (A DE-POWERED STORM BESTED HIM IN COMBAT FOR THE LEADERSHIP OF THE X-MEN!!!??).

Of course, Claremont's handling of Cyclops seems like a love letter compared to how Marvel is writing him these days.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 01 July 2012 at 6:46pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

Cyclops was the one that really bothered me especially after Jean died, it seemed that Claremont just really wanted to retire him (A DE-POWERED STORM BESTED HIM IN COMBAT FOR THE LEADERSHIP OF THE X-MEN!!!??).

••

When the X-Men were in the Savage Land, early in our run, we plotted a scene in which Scott would have a conversation with Ororo about his feelings for Jean, whom he at that time thought was dead (again!). He was supposed to tell Storm that he had grieved for Jean when she died -- when he FELT her die -- aboard the space shuttle, but that since she had come back as Phoenix, she just didn't really seem like the real Jean.

As Chris scripted it, tho, Scott referred to Jean as a "girl", and Storm launched into an out-of-character feminist rant. I was ticked, but Chris gave his standard response, "That was how I felt when I scripted it."

From that moment, the mail to the book showed a distinct shift AGAINST Scott. "What a jerk!" And Chris started WRITING him as a "jerk". No matter what I drew, Scott seemed so often not to come off at his best.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wow that's a bizarre left turn on what seems to be a whim. I know Chris prided himself on being able to write women, but that sounds totally forced and like he wanted to score some "feminist" points. ( At poor Cyclop's expense). 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

Shortly before I left the book, Shooter actually offered me script approval, as a way to make sure the scenes appeared as plotted. I was thinking about it when I hit my wall, and left.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 9  

Wow! JB, it sounds like Shooter wanted you to stay on the X-Men then?

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 10  

I always got major "bullying" from my comic book buddies for being a fan of Cyclops.

A while ago ago a friend told me that present Scott is really cool, and written and drawn how he was "supposed to be". Haven't read any new x-stories since 2006, but I strongly doubt this to be accurate.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 11  

A while ago ago a friend told me that present Scott is really cool, and written and drawn how he was "supposed to be". Haven't read any new x-stories since 2006, but I strongly doubt this to be accurate.

••

I shudder at the thought of what present day fandom would think was "cool". Perhaps Scott fires adamantium blades from his eyes, and does not hesitate to use them!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 12  

Wow! JB, it sounds like Shooter wanted you to stay on the X-Men then?

••

That, or he wanted to piss off Claremont!

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version