Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: X-Men...IN SPACE!!!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 1  

I admit...I kinda got pissed off with departures from most titles...some titles I dropped, some I stayed with for a while.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 2  

It should be noted, for the sake of historical accuracy, that my staying on E-MEN while Chris departed is not really something that could have happened.

I disagreed -- sometimes strongly -- with how Chris was writing the characters. And it seemed no matter what I drew, he would find ways to write something else. (See: "Incestuous lesbian kiss" et al)

Then, one day, it dawned on me that how I thought the characters should be written really didn't matter, since it was what Chris was writing that was seeing print. If I didn't like how Chris wrote the characters, that meant I didn't like the characters!

Eventually I reached a point of "maximum saturation", and I left. At the time, it could not really have played out any other way.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 3  

I was actually more distressed about JB leaving the Fantastic Four because I just felt that there was no one else that could handle them as well. I think that history has proven me correct.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 4  

If a window had opened at any point, would you have taken a stab at X-Factor? (Not that I'd like to see Louise and Walt's run erased from history)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 5  

If a window had opened at any point, would you have taken a stab at X-Factor? (Not that I'd like to see Louise and Walt's run erased from history)

••

X-FACTOR was too bound into then-current X-MEN continuity. The book I wanted, from before I even joined Marvel, was what eventually saw life as HIDDEN YEARS.

(I had pitched HIDDEN YEARS at the time of the X-FACTOR launch, and was told "Another book called 'X-MEN' would be too confusing!" Wish I'd gotten THAT in writing!)

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 6  

The X-Men I discovered was the original team. Over the years characters were added, of course, but it all remained simple, in the best sense of the word.

Take a look at JB's review of the history of the X-Men in #138. That's a lot of years, a lot of issues, a lot of storylines, a lot of characters, and yet... from 1963 to 1980, even with a cancellation and an "all-new" team re-start, it still really could be reasonably summarized in effectively and compellingly simple way. This is not to diminish how neatly JB did this particular issue (one of my faves!), but consider 1980 to 1997: how simply could THOSE seventeen years be streamlined summarized and have it all still maintain the feel that, yes, this is, despite all changes major and minor, the same comicbook?

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 7  

Heck, consider the past 17 years - from 1995 until today. Particularly since the new regime at Marvel took over. The X-books are completely unapproachable now!

It's crazy to me that the new and old teams have been merged for over 20 years now - longer than the original and new teams each existed separately!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 8  

X-Factor was strange.... I collected it pretty much from the start because I liked the characters and I really liked the idea of the original team back together again and it was a chance to join a book from the beginning (I also really like Jackson Guice's art). So I stuck with it through thick and thin, but never really enjoyed it that much...

I really liked Uncanny X-Men when it was Claremont/Romita Jr (I could really have done without the Kulan Gath storyline, and I'm not sure where Claremont was going with Magneto or why). It all seemed to fall apart when JR Jr left for me. Now that could have been bias caused by the departure of an artist I liked, but the team I liked seemed to be really messed up by the Mutant Massacre nonsense.

Suddenly favourites like Colossus, Shadowcat and Nightcrawler were all gone and there were new members like Psylocke and Dazzler for whom I had no affinity.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 9  

Psylocke,rubbish name,what does it mean? Then for Betsy Braddock to go from a Jane Seymour English rose type,to a scantily clad Ninja with oriental features was just a whole world of WHAT?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

I really liked Uncanny X-Men when it was Claremont/Romita Jr (I could really have done without the Kulan Gath storyline, and I'm not sure where Claremont was going with Magneto or why). It all seemed to fall apart when JR Jr left for me. Now that could have been bias caused by the departure of an artist I liked, but the team I liked seemed to be really messed up by the Mutant Massacre nonsense.

I TOTALLY agree!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 11  

X-Factor was strange.... I collected it pretty much from the start because I liked the characters and I really liked the idea of the original team back together again and it was a chance to join a book from the beginning (I also really like Jackson Guice's art). So I stuck with it through thick and thin, but never really enjoyed it that much...

It seemed like X-Factor was really getting good (with the 5 original X-Men actually getting along and working as a team and Scott and Jean happy together and a supporting cast forming and no more of that mutant-hunter garbage) when Marvel decided to stick the original five back into the main X-Men titles and turn X-Factor into a silly comedy written by Peter David. I'd have been happy with X-Factor continuing as the originals and kept as far seperate from Uncanny and the other X-books as possible.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 12  

I enjoyed the book at the beginning, especially the Walt and Weezie run but it lost it's sparkle pretty fast with me after they came aboard. My main problems with X-Factor:

1. De-furring Beast and then making him furry again. I actually thought it was cool when he reverted to his original look and kind of wanted him to stay that way.

2. Archangel...nuff said.

3. The creation of Apocalypse and having him be all-powerful. Not necessarily his creation but the fact that his backstory helped give us the mess of Cable, Bishop, and others of that ilk.

4. Mutant Massacre. It started the crossovers that would ultimately take the fun of having the original X-Men back together because every so often they'd have to crossover with the X-Men.

I guess the creation of X-Factor in a way made Marvel realize that the original X-Men would eventually need to return to the fold and that anyone that was ever a mutant would eventually have to be a member. If Marvel had that philosophy in the 70's, Beast would never have been an Avenger and Iceman and Angel wouldn't have had the opportunity given to them in the Champions. Granted the Champions wasn't a success and Beast, Angel, and Iceman's Defenders bombed but at least they were somewhere besides the X-Men.

I remember reading a letter in the New Mutants when I was a kid and the writer hated the New Mutants. He suggested that Xavier put the originals plus Havok and Polaris back in the X-Men (Jean was still dead at that point) and move the current X-Men team to the New Mutants. I'm a New Mutants fan but that suggestion still intrigues me all these years later.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version