Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: X-Men...IN SPACE!!!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 1  

And then right now, in another alternate reality, JB is finishing his script to the silver screen adaptation of "Days of Future Past", including all the aspects he just mentioned as meant to be on the original story.

*sigh*
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 2  

Here's a divergence that I wonder about. What if Dave Cockrum left X-Men along with Len Wein after X-Men#95, and JB started on the book as co-plotter/artist with CC on X-MEN#96 instead? His first book with CC, MARVEL PREMIERE #25, came out the same month as X-MEN#95, so it's easy to imagine JB being paired with CC on X-MEN instead at this point.

How different would things have been? CC had only 2 X-MEN issues under his belt as co-plotter and scripter at that point, and still considered a neophyte writer with only a handful of other writing jobs under his belt. So he and JB would have basically had equal standing on the title, IMO, and I'd assume that CC would have been less likely get away with overriding JB's ideas.

We most likely would not have gotten Lilandra, the Shi'ar, or the Starjammers, since Dave played a major role there. Wolverine would have had a completely different face (using JB's design that ended up being the basis for Sabretooth).

We probably wouldn't have gotten Phoenix, either! And with no Phoenix, there's no Phoenix Saga.
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 3  

"So, would X-MEN have remained a "cult book" if Chris had left and I had stayed?"
Very interesting question, JB. I think that it would've gotten popular as it did however we would've been spared so many unnecessary mutants!!! Plus, i would've looked forward to what you had planned out and perhaps Wolverine would've stayed somewhat mysterious as intended. Plus, i like to think you still would've had time for your FF run.

-C!

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 4  

One of the scenes that made the biggest impressions on my as a whippersnapper of about 12 years old reading "Days of Future Past" was, after it being made clear how uncomfortable Kitty was around Nightcrawler, Kate Joyously throws her arms around him.

Edited by Josh Goldberg on 27 June 2012 at 1:41pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 5  

I'm not sure how much of the Shiar and the Phoenix were Dave's, but I wonder if they were concepts he had in mind for the LSH. IIRC, a couple of the All New All Different X-Men were variations on some LSH characters he was working on.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

Yes, my thinking JB was the tops among peers is indeed my opinion.  Sorry to state it as fact, but I was caught up in my memories of the time when JB became the main reason for me to read comics.  Please excuse my exuberance!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

Here's a divergence that I wonder about. What if Dave Cockrum left X-Men along with Len Wein after X-Men#95, and JB started on the book as co-plotter/artist with CC on X-MEN#96 instead? His first book with CC, MARVEL PREMIERE #25, came out the same month as X-MEN#95, so it's easy to imagine JB being paired with CC on X-MEN instead at this point.

••

There'd be a bit more shuffling required there than in my "What If" scenario. For one thing, Archie Goodwin's decision to put me on X-MEN was informed by how STARLORD came out -- and STARLORD was still a while off when Len and Dave started X-MEN.

Also, I don't think I was anywhere near ready for a book like this, at that point. Take a look at my work on THE CHAMPIONS. It's nowhere up to X-MEN standards.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've been buying back issues of the Champions lately and I'll take your "nowhere up to X-Men standards" anytime!

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

Bit late to the question, but...

If JB stayed on X-men rather than Chris I believe it's rise would have continued to at least it's peak if not further.  While we may have lost the FF run we all love, I'd like to think that JB's X-men success would have been a blueprint for the next generation of comic talent.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 10  

One thing I'll bet -- there'd be a whole lot fewer Big Bad Byrne stories if I'd stayed on X-MEN. They basically began when I left that book, promulgated by fans who felt personally BETRAYED by my departure.

Then it became FASHIONABLE to have had a Big Bad Byrne experience. . .

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 11  

You're probably right about that one, John.  I can't remember what I had for lunch but I remember my schoolyard friend Paul Robinson coming up to me during Nutrition period at John Burroughs Middle School and asking me if I'd heard the news that John Byrne had resigned from drawing Uncanny X-Men.  I wasn't one of those superfans who are so often mocked and ridiculed in popular culture; I didn't go into a depression, I didn't cry, I didn't swear off buying comics forever.  It sucked to hear it...I remeber wondering why and also noting that #143 was an odd number to leave on, with the big anniversary 150th issue looming just a few issues away.  But life went on (to the Fantastic Four..!)...but for me to remember that day so vividly, yeah, it made an impression and I can see where fan backlash could morph into personal crusades on the parts of some fans.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 12  

In this case, once all was restored and Kitty was back in her own head, Chris forgot all about her being uneasy around Kurt

I remember wondering what happened with that plot line.  Then one day I found the answer!  There was a caption in the issue where they meet Caliban that says Kitty decides (after meeting Caliban) that she needs to start treating Kurt better.  Though I don't remember seeing that fear once JB left...

I'll say this about Claremont: though I don't like all his X-Men stuff (I even stopped reading the book during his run) I haven't read any X-Men comics since that I liked better than his.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version