Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21
Topic: X-Men...IN SPACE!!!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 1  

I think Morrison's Beast falls under the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule.

Back when Beast was first transformed into a furry monster and went through a fairly major personality/vocabulary change it could be chalked up to not just the transformation but also to growing up. Further justified that he was also editorially speaking....a leftover character from a book that folded.

Either way the case could be made that Morrison is doing to the Beast what Engelhart did...just with less satisfying results and possibly different motives. Englehart at least took notice that the Beast was apelike.
The cat thing is straight out of the TV series...if he had read the original novel Hank might have been turned into a warthog.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Alexander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 2  

Is everyone with a dark sense of humor bipolar? I didn't know that was a symptom.
••

If that's true I am in serious trouble. And so am I!
---------------------------------
Ha! Both of me too.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

My first time "meeting" the Beast was an issue of AVENGERS. When I
subsequently read a Lee/Kirby X-MEN reprint I thought the Beast in
that story was a different character!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

Back when Beast was first transformed into a furry monster and went through a fairly major personality/vocabulary change it could be chalked up to not just the transformation but also to growing up.

••

I think you may be misremembering that personality/vocabulary change!

When the character first appeared, in X-MEN 1, he was brutish in demeanor and speech patterns. That went away quickly, and he started wearing bookworm glasses and spouting $100 words. So he was for a long time.

Then, Steve Englehart started writing the character, and decided Hank should set about deliberately changing his personality. He went from (mostly) serious and introspective to the bouncin' blue Beast, invoking his "stars and garters" -- sort of the reverse of "growing up".

Happily, over the years he settled into a kind of fusion of the two -- until Morrison came along.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

quote--Then, Steve Englehart started writing the character, and decided Hank should set about deliberately changing his personality. He went from (mostly) serious and introspective to the bouncin' blue Beast, invoking his "stars and garters" -- sort of the reverse of "growing up".

Yeah "growing up" is the wrong term for the serious intellectual becoming the team clown but he was in effect "moving on". I do recall when he joins the Avengers that he decided to put away the 10 dollar words via flashback. Implying that either his younger personality was merely a persona....or his new one was in an effort to be comfortable with himself.

Stan has noted that he thought Hank's speaking patterns in Xmen 1 was too close to the Thing. Blip though it was... could it be possible that was used as the impetus to justify the later change?

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Is everyone with a dark sense of humor bipolar?  I didn't know that was a symptom.

Just to be clear, the quotes I read didn't have Morrison outright stating that a dark sense of humor was a symptom of being bipolar. I don't want to put words in his mouth that I don't know that he said.  Not that I saw him as either whether they were related or not. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 21
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version