Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: X-Men...IN SPACE!!!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

How can you not pinch yourself daily? You inked Ditko....!!!!

••

And Kirby!!

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

[swooning...!!!]

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
…the ape-like Beast going feline...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

Since Hank had already had a "secondary mutation" turning into the gray/blue furred Beast, his Morrison iteration must be a "tertiary mutation..." (One could even argue that going from gray to blue was a mutation as well... Pretty soon here, everyone's going to get to be Mimic!)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 5  

…Hank had already had a "secondary mutation" turning into the gray/blue furred Beast…

••

That wasn't a mutation. It was artificially induced.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 6  

What's odd, and I'm sure it's because of the era I started really reading comics, The Beast will always be an Avenger to me.  I knew he was an X-Man of course, and thought it was cool that he went back to the fold when part of the team was thought killed, but back then he was an established Avenger.  I guess it just stuck with me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 7  

What's odd, and I'm sure it's because of the era I started really reading comics, The Beast will always be an Avenger to me. I knew he was an X-Man of course, and thought it was cool that he went back to the fold when part of the team was thought killed, but back then he was an established Avenger. I guess it just stuck with me.

••

Nothing odd there, really. What is "real" to us is usually what we encounter first. Heck, the whole black/blue "debate" over Spider-Man's costume springs from generations of readers who have not seen the original black version.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 8  

Beast becoming an Avenger in 1975 seemed like such a natural progression...I only had knowledge of the Xmen from reprints at that point 
but I was aware that they were teens in a superhero school.
Back then...graduating the Xmen and becoming an Avenger seemed like an advancement. The pecking order was clear....and it was something occasionally brought up in the Xmen: there's a neat moment after the Hellfire Club first defeats the Xmen and Shaw teases himself whether he could beat Ironman...or Thor!  

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
That wasn't a mutation. It was artificially induced.

Just what I was thinking when I read that.  I wanted to make sure I was remembering all the details of AMAZING ADVENTURES 11 correctly so I did a search because it's been so long since I read it.  I come upon some quotes about Beast from Morrison.  

He sees the character as bipolar.  Did you agree with this?  I sure don't, or didn't when I was reading him.  Said he had a dark sense of humor. Now I get a scene from early in his run.  They are in Genosha, after the island was wiped out(16 million people killed).  He picks up a skull and says something like this.  My friend, I think it's safe to say that your dating days are over.  Maybe not exactly that, pretty close though.  To me, that is not Beast's sense of humor.  He absolutely has one, but that isn't it.
He does not crack jokes so soon after genocide.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 10  

He sees the character as bipolar. Did you agree with this? I sure don't, or didn't when I was reading him. Said he had a dark sense of humor.

••

This is a typical example of that OTHER school of writing, the "Can I Use Captain Fonebone to Tell MY Stories?" school.

Beast is bipolar, because that suits the stories Morrison wants to tell. He has a "dark" sense of humor, because, again, that suits the scenes Morrison wants to writer. Are either of these things supported by stories from BEFORE the Morrison Era? Nope.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 11  

Also, taking a comment a character said one time and using that to prove something.  "Well, The Beast made a joke 25 years ago that was dark, so he MUST be bipolar!"  Is Morrison the one that came up with "Dark Beast"

Is everyone with a dark sense of humor bipolar?  I didn't know that was a symptom.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 12  

Is everyone with a dark sense of humor bipolar? I didn't know that was a symptom.

••

If that's true I am in serious trouble. And so am I!

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version