Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: X-Men...IN SPACE!!!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 1  

It might have been the Wizard X Men special.   There was a lot of publicity leading up to Joe Casey and Morrison starting on the book.  There was a big interview in that issue.  I know Morrison explained his motivation for the change somewhere and your reason seems familiar.  Anyway, I think this is where you may have seen it.
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

-Emma horribly tortured Ororo in the story that introduced here -- the story I drew, so I know what was going on there!

Does that not qualify her as a badguy?-

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I think of whenever I see the character of Emma Frost. She was a cold-hearted torturer. Why, exactly, would Storm EVER trust Emma?? I guess she's far more forgiving than I am.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

I never understood Emma Frost's conversion. She's evil to the core. Making
her an X-Man only works (sort of) if it's a red herring, and she's still evil.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

I never understood Emma Frost's conversion. She's evil to the core. Making her an X-Man only works (sort of) if it's a red herring, and she's still evil.

••

Emma appeals to those who like the "bad girls".

The term you're looking for is "sad".

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

My original reaction to the secondary mutation thing was that I hated the idea of it, but putting it in comparison alongside all the character screw-ups, like making Cyclops and Professor X assholes, and Wolverine the most wizesest, most SamuraiNinjarist, most badassed, indestructible, best at what doesist cool dude it doesn't seem all that bad.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm glad I stopped reading X-Men around #200. Sadly, the completist in me
didn't stop buying 'til about 100 issues later.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

My original reaction to the secondary mutation thing was that I hated the idea of it, but putting it in comparison alongside all the character screw-ups, like making Cyclops and Professor X assholes, and Wolverine the most wizesest, most SamuraiNinjarist, most badassed, indestructible, best at what doesist cool dude it doesn't seem all that bad.

••

Still, I'd rather not be poked in the eye with a DULL stick, either!

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:

I had similar feelings in that I was more put off by some of the characterization although I thought Logan was the character he handled best.

For me, secondary mutations was like worrying about the deck chairs on the titanic.  He gutted my favorite X man .  That sort of took priority.  Yet I would see creator after creator rave over what he did with the book. Beauty really is in the eyes of the beholder.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 9  

Quote:The story was penciled by Ditko and inked by then X-Inker Paul Reinman. Looking at the story just now, to refresh my memory, I can only conclude Steve did the barest of bare bones layouts, as there is almost nothing left of his style under Reinman's finishes.

I have an original page from that story hanging in my office. There's still a fair amount of pencil visible around the ink...suggesting that Ditko did his usual amount of thin pencilling. Backgrounds are sparse and the 6 panel grid suggests this was done quickly. On this particular page a few parts that remain visibly Ditko are Pepper's posture on panel three and the delicate use of closure to illustrate Ironman's induction grid on panels 4 and 6. Something not clear in the printed book due to poor coloring is that Ironman's faceplate is slid up on his head. Tony standing with his shirt open to reveal his chestplate and ID is a nice Ditko touch.

He is buried here by Reinman but no less than he was by Heck and Ayers who inked him on 2 previous issues.

JB: Do you recall how complete Ditko's pencils were on the occasions you've inked him?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 10  

JB: Do you recall how complete Ditko's pencils were on the occasions you've inked him?

••

Barely there. Mostly balloon figures (as we call them), with some details sketched in. Bare bones backgrounds, too. Ditko, as you know, prefers to ink his own work, and the pencils he provides would be perfect for that.

It was still a lot of fun inking him, tho. The DITKO shines thru no matter how sparse the pencils. One of the things that makes it so weird that inkers like Ayers and Reinman were able to completely bury him.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 11  

How can you not pinch yourself daily? You inked Ditko....!!!!

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 12  

quote: It was still a lot of fun inking him, tho. The DITKO shines thru no matter how sparse the pencils. One of the things that makes it so weird that inkers like Ayers and Reinman were able to completely bury him.

The ink line on the Ayers TOS pages is so thick that it looks like he inked it twice. Its an odd looking book but I love that chunky ink line.

One reason why Reinman buried him is that there's no or very little use of  a dead ink line. Even the antennas are brushed. In that same regard: Tom Palmer didn't let a lot of Ditko shine through either during his ROM run.

According to P.Craig Russell, Ditko is tough to ink given how much isn't there. Perhaps those that are most successful have to think like Ditko.
Since I see a number of "Ditko-isms" in your work alone I can imagine how that might benefit the process. 

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version