Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: X-Men...IN SPACE!!!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 1  

Instead of saying, "There were no good Lizard stories left to tell," he could have admitted that HE didn't have any Lizard stories to tell and picked a different Spider-Man villain to use.

The bad thing about that is that I'm not so sure that it was the writer as it was editorially dictated. It seems that editors (at least based on the interviews I read) make the stories up at Marvel these days.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 2  

It seems that editors (at least based on the interviews I read) make the stories up at Marvel these days.

••

If so, it means the comicbook industry has come full circle -- unfortunately the level of talent has not remained commensurate with the journey!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 3  

It seems the new X-Men title involves the original 5 X-Men time-
traveling from the past to the present day. Written by Bendis. I foresee
a teenaged Marvel Girl lusting after Wolverine.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

I find the fact that Scott is weilding both Cap's shield and Thor's hammer a bit tedious. Once with the Maestro off in the far future carting around everyone else's paraphenalia is fine. Hulk is, after all, "the strongest one there is." All he had to do was wait them out and he won all the prizes.

Since Scott is wearing a Batman Beyond costume,  maybe it is the future!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 5  

It seems that editors (at least based on the interviews I read) make the stories up at Marvel these days.
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

Do they actually have real editors anymore?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm harder on Marvel than DC because it's my true love but the fact that Tom Brevoort, Nick Lowe, and Steve Wacker can all do interviews about storylines and particular issues shows that they have too much power in dictating stories. So start with the editors dictating to the writers what to write but giving them the freedom to break the toys and add in an artist (superstar if it's a big event comic) or artists if you want to put out a few issues a month and you have a Marvel Comic. They talk up their McNivens, Immonens, Coipels, Martins (JRjrs if we're lucky) but their regular issues don't get those guys. Some of the regular guys do good work and some of the regular guys produce an amazing generic quality of work. Plus Marvel is still trying to sell to me that Greg Land is a great artist. 

Edited by Shawn Kane on 03 July 2012 at 6:46pm

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

My favorite X-Men were always Cyclops and Nightcrawler. Thing is, by the time I was getting into X-Men, JB had moved on and Chris was in control. It was a revelation to discover those characters retroactively-- and somewhat sadder to realize that those weren't the guys in the books.

I still like Cyclops but after what seemed like a rebirth of the character, he's sliding down into a whirlpool of ego and zealotry.

=sigh= So it goes.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:

On the topic of "jumping off points" for the X-Men, I also left at issue #201, with Storm besting Cyclops in one-on-one combat. Not only was Scott written as a conflicted jerk who was uncertain of his feelings, but he was consisently out-thought and out-manuevered by Chris' complete Mary Sue archetypal "Woman In Power" who's can not only defeat you, but lectures you on the credo of the warrior as she does so, with impeccable, perfectly-deserved arrogance. You are unworthy of the time she is giving you in kicking your lily-white ass. You idiot.

I felt, at the time, that the issue was deliberately skewed in Maddie's favor.  Her point of view is portrayed as the reasonable one.  Scott can't even hold his own kid and is now uncommunicative suddenly.  Where had this been the case in the last couple years of comics they appeared in?  Granted, he was off the time, but there were a few appearances. Scott becomes an emotional cripple to facilitate the story.

That said, Claremont also wrote great depictions of Cyclops.  He wasn't depicted well in the DPS?  GOD LOVES MAN KILLS?  The aforementioned UXM 175?  I can go on.  This isn't Grant Morrison where you don't have a lot of good along with the missteps.

And there were missteps.  You don't have Cyclops marry anyone  5-6 issues after they met them.  Sure as hell not someone who looks like Jean. You just don't do it.  

I've read multiple interviews where Claremont expressed that it was time for Scott to begin the next chapter of his life.  Why wasn't it ever time for Wolverine or Storm to do that?  I'm guessing because Claremont liked him better.

Then again, starting with Morrison, I've read creator after creator express how much they love the character.  To me, that's the really distressing thing.  They don't dislike, or indifferent to the character. They think stories like having him form kill squads is doing him justice.  That's scary.

From the start, Quesada, Jemas, Bendis, Millar think the characters should be more flawed than I do.  Turn Wanda into a psychotic nutjob and tell us we are only doing what Stan And Jack did. They used to say it all the time to defend the stories.

Interpersonal conflicts, squabbling like Stan and Jack's FF did does not mean they were morally flawed or prone to the ends justify the means behavior that permeated Quesada's Marvel when I last read it.

Status quo is anathema to them. They are always going to be rocking the boat to create event stories and the characters are going to behave however they need them to behave to service those stories.  The integrity of the characters was too important to me.

One last thing about characters and writers. Blaming character behavior on the writer.  It can't be a one way street.  If it works that way with the bad stuff, it works that way with the good stuff.  Personally speaking, then I would have never been as invested in the characters.  I'd be invested in the writers handling them.  Obviously, they are all fictional and only act the way a writer has them act, but I can't just shrug off Cyclops committing adultery and put the blame on the writer.  The character is the sum of their actions, in print, good or bad.   

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 9  

I still like Cyclops but after what seemed like a rebirth of the character, he's sliding down into a whirlpool of ego and zealotry.

••

Again, it's all part of the anti-authority mentality that has come to infect superhero comics.

When Stan, Jack, Steve and the gang were creating the "Marvel Age" authority figures were almost universally the good guys. The armed forces, cops, political figures. Stories about corruption in those circles were rare, especially in comic books.

Superheroes were the ultimate reflection of this. No one asked "Who watches the watchmen?", and if anyone had, the answer would have been "The superheroes!"

Even Marvel's most successful character, Spider-Man, while perceived as anti-authority within the book, was very clearly not, and the readers knew it. Spider-Man was "misunderstood" (and thus a perfect magnet for teenaged readers), but he was not a true anti-hero. Ditto the X-Men. "Feared and hated" but by "the world they are sworn to protect."

Right there is something that's been lost in recent years. The X-Men saw themselves as protecting humanity against mutants every bit as much as protecting mutants against humanity. Their self-appointed task was to show the world that mutants were (mostly) the good guys, just like anybody else. The idea of Cyclops leading some kind of hit-squad that protects mutants against humanity -- well, Stan and Jack had a different name for a group like that. They called them the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 10  

One last thing about characters and writers. Blaming character behavior on the writer. It can't be a one way street. If it works that way with the bad stuff, it works that way with the good stuff. Personally speaking, then I would have never been as invested in the characters. I'd be invested in the writers handling them. Obviously, they are all fictional and only act the way a writer has them act, but I can't just shrug off Cyclops committing adultery and put the blame on the writer. The character is the sum of their actions, in print, good or bad.   

••

Many years ago I noticed a distinct dichotomy in the minds of one particular level of fandom. Mostly, the hyper-obsessive ones who memorized every comma. To them, the characters were real, every bit as real as their own friends and family. Yet, if something BAD happened to the characters, THEY KNEW WHO TO BLAME!

Many a time at conventions I would make this point: YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. If the characters are "real", then we writers are merely reporting what happens to them (just like Stan and Jack established!). But if we writers are responsible for what happens to the characters, then you must accept that those characters are merely fictional creations.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 11  

Then again, starting with Morrison, I've read creator after creator express how much they love the character.  To me, that's the really distressing thing.  They don't dislike, or indifferent to the character. They think stories like having him form kill squads is doing him justice.  That's scary.

Didn't Morrison have him kill a badly burned mutant in his first issue? He loves him enough to make him a killer.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 12  

He mercy killed a mutant in Morrison's first arc.  They were in the middle of a jungle with apparently no access to any immediate medical help.  Wolverine's dialogue read, to me, like the character, Ugly John, IIRC, was in agony and was dying shortly anyway.

I don't like it.  I think Wolverine would be the character for a mercy kill.
However, it's something I could have gotten past.  Other stuff I couldn't.
But he was absolutely Morrison's favorite X Man.  I saw him say it multiple times.  

Maybe someone should have sent him the HIDDEN YEARS series and he could have seem how someone who claims Cyclops is his favorite X Man should handle the character.

People just don't want to read about heroes anymore.  They want them to be "relatable", dragged down to our level.  They want the real world moral quagmires brought into the comics.  They are more interesting by being more flawed.  Cyclops has grown up and become a real leader, not some naive boy scout.  Problem, for me, is I liked the characters purer and more idealistic.  

But I suppose you need look no further than Wolverine's popularity, for decades, to see where the trend was heading.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version