Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: X-Men...IN SPACE!!!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 1  

Talk about characters being on model, acting in character and operating in the right milieu got me thinking. 

How well does the concept of the X-Men (mutants fighting for a world that hates/fears them) work in SF space/alien storylines?  Should the X-men be out there fighting the Shiar Empire, Mojo and other extra terrestrial/dimensional threats. Even though in the early days they took on an alien or two. The Stranger and the Znoxx come to mind. And in the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne era we were introduced to the Shiar Empire and the cosmic threat of the Phoenix. Great as they might have been, are they really X-Men type stories? Wouldn't such concepts have been more at home in books like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers, where "cosmic" level threats are more at home? 

Similarly should the X-Men be involved in straight up magical/mystical storylines fighting Demons and magicians?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

It's fine sprinkled in from time-to-time, but it shouldn't dominate the title like it has occasionally.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm with Robert on this.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

When I was working on FANTASTIC FOUR, I realized the FF were Marvel's premiere all-purpose team. They could deal with scientific menaces, like aliens, but they could equally deal with the supernatural, or even murder mysteries. Pretty much anything, really. That's what they'd been doing right from the start.

But the X-Men had a much more specific mandate. Sometimes they would deal with extraterrestrials -- even "street level" folk like Spider-Man and Daredevil had done that -- but it was more in the nature of "extracurricular activity". Their main job was to deal with mutants, some good, some bad.

Once the All New, All Different X-Men were launched, things started to get a bit vague. Chris and Dave went to all sorts of places that, in the clarity of hindsight, they probably should not have. (Leprechauns?) And certainly mixing in aliens, and even having Cyclops' father revealed as a swashbuckling space pirate. . .

Well, a moment ago I referred to "street level" characters, and really that's what the X-Men are. The threats they face are about as close to home as it's possible to get -- recall the tag line I came up with in "Days of Future Past", "It's 1984 - Do You Know What Your Children Are?" When I was on the book, I tried to keep the stories focused as much as possible on mutants. How successful I was, I leave to your consideration!

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 5  

The thing that really lost me with the X-Men was all the alternate futures crap that became so popular (Rachel Summers, Cable, X-Man, Bishop, Nimrod, etc.).

Once again, it's a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

The thing that really lost me with the X-Men was all the alternate futures crap that became so popular (Rachel Summers, Cable, X-Man, Bishop, Nimrod, etc.).

••

Don't get me started! As I have complained, moaned, whined and ranted too many times, all of that sprang from a single panel! A single panel in which Chris scuttled my carefully plotted storyline, and robbed the X-Men of the clean, clear WIN I was so sure I had given them.

(In the brief moment I was scripting the X-Books, when marketing ordered the creation of Bishop, the artists, who were the ones really running the show, wanted him to be from yet another alternate timeline. Oh, please! I said. I hate what Chris did to create it, but can't we stick with the alternate timeline we already have?" And we did.)

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm always impressed by the name "Nimrod" and how it's bee
perverted in the last 60 years. We went from the mighty hunter who
play a role in the creation of Babylon to the word meaning "idiot".
What impresses me, assuming what I've read is correct, is that the
use of the name as an insult, seems to have come from uneducated
people watching Bugs Bunny.

Sorry for the thread drift

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 8  

"Nimrod" is the name of a new Superman villain.

I don't think I was terribly bothered about the X-Men being in space
until that long (to me, anyway) "Brood" storyline.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2012 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm always impressed by the name "Nimrod" and how it's bee perverted in the last 60 years. We went from the mighty hunter who play a role in the creation of Babylon to the word meaning "idiot". What impresses me, assuming what I've read is correct, is that the use of the name as an insult, seems to have come from uneducated people watching Bugs Bunny.

••

The corruption of meaning might be older than that! I first encountered the word/name when I started reading the poems of Robert Service, in my middle teens. In "The Ballad of the Iceworm Cocktail", the opening verses run like so:

To Dawson Town came Percy Brown from London on the Thames.
A pane of glass was in his eye, and stockings on his stems.
Upon the shoulder of his coat a leather pad he wore,
To rest his deadly rifle when it wasn't seeking gore;
The which it must have often been, for Major Percy Brown,
According to his story was a hunter of renown,
Who in the Murrumbidgee wilds had stalked the kangaroo
And killed the cassowary on the plains of Timbuctoo.
And now the Arctic fox he meant to follow to its lair,
And it was also his intent to beard the Artic hare...
Which facts concerning Major Brown I merely tell because
I fain would have you know him for the Nimrod that he was.

Service there uses the term sarcastically, and being unfamiliar with it, for a long time I thought it was a term of disparagement.

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2012 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 10  

Nimrod just sounds like an insult -- dimbulb mixed with numbnuts.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2012 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 11  

What impresses me, assuming what I've read is correct, is that the use of the name as an insult, seems to have come from uneducated people watching Bugs Bunny.

Yup.  Unfortunately, Looney Tunes was the first place I heard the word used.  Never crossed my mind again until I got into aerospace and started studying the history of the De Havilland Comet jetliner.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2012 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 12  

Poking around Amazon this morning, I came across THIS…

Madlyne Prior by Bowen Studios.

That's pretty much everything that went wrong with the X-Men summed up in one statue!

Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version