Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Serendipity (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

"By the way, has Magneto since the 80s been functionally immortal, given that the era of WW2 keeps moving farther and farther into the past?"

In Defenders #16, he fought the defenders and X-Men and was turned into an infant.  Then in X-Men #106 he was aged again by Eric the Red, but to his prime rather than his actual age.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

Erik the Red restoring Magneto to his "prime" doesn't help much. We still have a before/after situation. Even if something like the "Seven Year Rule" is applied, so Magneto's retoration occurred only a few years ago, we still have the problem of WW2 being a fixed point in time. Magneto becomes older and older in the "before" half of the scenario. The X-Men, it seems, were battling an old man in their first issue.

(Which, of course, is precisely what gives us Ian McKellan in the X-movies -- an old actor is needed to portray someone with a connection to the Holocaust. Tho, mind you, they had to cheat and make Magneto a child so his present day self wouldn't be TOO old!)

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

"In Defenders #16, he fought the defenders and X-Men and was turned into an infant. Then in X-Men #106 he was aged again by Eric the Red, but to his prime rather than his actual age."

It's funny, that kind of answer wouldn't be necessary if the readership of comics turned over every five to seven years or so. the characters would not age and no one would ever notice.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'd hope even new readers would notice a connection to the Second World War, and what that means! Precisely why real world references are what need to be avoided, excluding, of course, those that can be dismissed as "topical references" (a term a whole lot of fans REALLY need to learn!)

It's insidious, really. Even when specific references are not made, the real world can still intrude. When I was doing JBNN in the early 90s, I imagined the series as being set ten to 15 years in the future, but I didn't come right out and say so. What I did do, tho, because I could hardly do otherwise. Was establish the World Trade Center as a prominent part of the New York skyline. When I returned to the series staying honest meant my story was locked into a timeline that could advance no further than 9.11.2001.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'd hope even new readers would notice a connection to the Second World War, and what that means! Precisely why real world references are what need to be avoided, excluding, of course, those that can be dismissed as "topical references" (a term a whole lot of fans REALLY need to learn!)

Just last night I was reading some Marvel-Two-In-One comics from 1976 full of references to Ben Grimm and Reed Richards serving during WWII in the early 1940s.  Even in a comic from 1976 that made me cringe! 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

I call it "MAN OF STEEL Syndrome". And usually it walks hand in hand with "Death of Phoenix Syndrome".

I sure hope you don't blame yourself for that. The death of Phoenix was really more of Shooters thing than it was yours and Chris's. I have wondered what kind of fallout would have happened if Phoenix had just stayed a villian. No lose of powers thing, she just joins the Hellfire Club and stays evil.

Superman, I don't know what else could have been done with him. The character, in my humble opinion, had evolved to such a point that readers couldn't relate to him anymore. That and he really came off as unbeatable even if you had Kryptonite. Man of Steel made the character more relatable because it brought is human upbringing more into play. Yeah, he's an alien, but for much of his childhood he didn't know that. This was a very needed reworking of the character.

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

That and he really came off as unbeatable even if you had Kryptonite.
Didn't Kryptonite become harmless to Superman sometime in the 70's? I remember him eating it in some panels from that era.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 8  

he really came off as unbeatable

The Hulk is in that same catagory now.

Barry Maine
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

"It's funny, that kind of answer wouldn't be necessary if the readership of comics turned over every five to seven years or so. the characters would not age and no one would ever notice."

I don't know if that is quite true. That still happened way before my time and I still noticed.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

The Hulk is in that same catagory now.
=======

Yep. That punch JB had Doc Samson deliver would just piss him off
now. He's even survived nuclear armageddon.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 11  

I've said before that as each decade passes, Captain America has missed that much more history before the Avengers found him. At some point, Steve Rogers will have been frozen for a century.

Barry Maine
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

"The Hulk is in that same catagory now."

This is one of the things I find obnoxious about many heroes, and especially the Hulk. They have all become so powerful, be it through skills, powers, or mental ability, that fight has to be nearly universe ending. Now villains such as Stilt Man are left to be a joke rather than super villain. 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version