Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: The Sliding Time Scale (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

IMO modern fans are a lot like gollum and his precious.

A year or so ago, the owner of my LCS had a party for some of his regular customers. While there, I talked with a comics fan of about twenty who said he thought characters should age in real time because he never wanted to have to be older than his favortie hero, Green Lantern. How selfish is that? If GL had started aging from the beginning, this fan never would have read about him. If he starts aging now, this fan might never get to introduce his kids, should he have any, to his favorite character. Why should comics characters age? Comics is an entertainment form where aging never has to rob us of the characters we enjoy as long as writers can tell interesting stories with those characters. Why let aging effect something it doesn't have to? What about other things we enjoy? People get older, and so William Shatner is no longer Captain Kirk and Sean Connery will never play James Bond again. As a sports fan, I've seen my favorite players, Don Mattingly and Brian Leetch age out of their games and I know that sometime in the next few years Derek Jeter will have to put down his bat. That never has to happen to the superheroes. Superman can be eternally twenty-nine and Spider-Man can always have his youth and Captain America can always be as formidable as the day the Avengers got him out of that ice! Why would anybody want to ruin that?    

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

Robbie Parry:

In fact, the mention of Scooby-Doo reminds me. That's another franchise where people don't appear to expect ageing. Fred, Shaggy, Daphne, Velma and Scooby-Doo have been young folk forever, probably at college. No doubt if there was a similar mentality regarding that franchise, we'd see people demanding that Fred and others celebrate 40th birthday parties and get jobs.

============

And on top of all that, you overlook a very important question:  How long do Great Danes live for, anyway?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Cottrill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

I like a story best when it doesn't "feel" attached to any specific time
period. I love the feeling of the story happening now.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne:

DICK TRACY made one concession to the aging of the characters. When the strip celebrated its 50th Anniversary, they played it as Tracy's 50th birthday -- which I thought was a mistake.

========

Didn't you do a similar thing, with Reed Richards' 40th birthday party to establish the age that the character is and always should be?

Jeff Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 5  

Imagine if comics had never existed and you tried to pitch a superhero universe today. "A measurable portion of the population have physically impossible abilities, and time doesn't matter.  Everything else is the same, though..."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

Jeff Patterson:

Imagine if comics had never existed and you tried to pitch a superhero universe today. "A measurable portion of the population have physically impossible abilities, and time doesn't matter.  Everything else is the same, though..."

=========

D.P.7.?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

DICK TRACY made one concession to the aging of the characters. When the strip celebrated its 50th Anniversary, they played it as Tracy's 50th birthday -- which I thought was a mistake.

========

Didn't you do a similar thing, with Reed Richards' 40th birthday party to establish the age that the character is and always should be?

••

Yes and no. If you count the candles on Reed's cake, there are indeed, forty of them. However, unlike in the TRACY strip, no one in my story actually SAYS Reed's age. In TRACY, the characters SAID he was fifty.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

Imagine if comics had never existed and you tried to pitch a superhero universe today. "A measurable portion of the population have physically impossible abilities, and time doesn't matter. Everything else is the same, though..."

=========

D.P.7.?

••

How does that fit the "if comics had never existed" part?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

I like a story best when it doesn't "feel" attached to any specific timeperiod. I love the feeling of the story happening now.

••

So, for many, many, many years, did the people WRITING the comics. After all, those captions were PRESENT TENSE, weren't they?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

*You don't have to wear one every day. Just keep one in your glove compartment, just in case...

••

Ah! Like Superman kept a foam rubber arm in the trunk of his car!

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 11  

I think the birthday cake epsode and DIck Tracy's jubilee shows that without saying it, people in the audience or readers have their own time scale. When I watched Dallas with my family suddenly Miss Ellie said that Jock died 7 years ago. And everybody went Was that just seven years ago. Obviously the dream period wasn't accounted for, that was one reason it seemed longer than 7 years. But to me it was fine, even though I was a toddler when Jock was alive, so to me it was like the Gettysburg war. But still it was no problem for me, since I knew about the sliding time scales from comics. Now I'll shutup.

Edited by Lars Johansson on 01 June 2012 at 12:49am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 12  

Lars: I think the birthday cake epsode and DIck Tracy's jubilee shows that without saying it, people in the audience or readers have their own time scale. When I watched Dallas with my family suddenly Miss Ellie said that Jock died 7 years ago. And everybody went Was that just seven years ago. Obviously the dream period wasn't accounted for, that was one reason it seemed longer than 7 years. But to me it was fine, even though I was a toddler when Jock was alive, so to me it was like the Gettysburg war. But still it was no problem for me, since I knew about the sliding time scales from comics. Now I'll shut up.

---

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version