Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: WSJ: Worst Comic Ever (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 1  

"Did Ozymandias "coincidentally" CITE the episode as the inspiration for his plan?"

Well, actually Ozymandias never cited it as inspiration, what does happen in the last issue of the book is two of the characters overhearing a TV promo featuring that show, as Moore says:

QUOTE:
Around issue 10, I came across a guide to cult television. There was an Outer Limits episode called ''The Architects of Fear.'' I thought: ''Wow. That's a bit close to our story.'' In the last issue, we have a TV promoting that Outer Limits episode — a belated nod.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1120854_3,00.html

So, yes, Moore did acknowledge the similarity, but not that he drew conscious inspiration of it. And even if he had done so, so what? The context, motivations and everything surround that bit of an idea was entirely different. 

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 2  

I'm pretty sure that if Sarah Conner had said, "Wow, so he's kind of like that guy in Demon with the Glass Hand," and Kyle Reese had responded, "Yeah, and I'm like the guy in Soldier," Harlan Ellison would have still won his plagiarism suit.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm pretty sure that if Sarah Conner had said, "Wow, so he's kind of like that guy in Demon with the Glass Hand," and Kyle Reese had responded, "Yeah, and I'm like the guy in Soldier," Harlan Ellison would have still won his plagiarism suit.

••

Sometimes we are reminded of how SMALL comics really are. Much of the excess of the 90s happened because regulatory bodies paid no attention while the companies broke all kinds of rules. Same, too, with plagiarism, it seems.

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 4  

People do love pastiches, don't they? I mean, I'm sure that Kirby Ferguson's "Everything is a Remix" won't do much damage to the box office numbers at the next Tarantino flick.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

I came across this, in a review of a biography of Terry Nation (creator of the Daleks)…

"As you might expect with any book about Terry Nation, this first ever biography is a little prone to repetition. Throughout its almost 300 pages we are regularly reminded of what inspired Terry Nation and how his work paralleled or (and I hope Roger Hancock - Nation's rottweiler agent isn't looking,) copied ideas from pulps and movies of the 1930s so that you feel like screaming when a point is made about that Saint episode with the ants for what seems like the umpteenth time. However what the author is trying, and in fact, for the most part achieves remarkably well, is to put Terry Nation and his work into context. He may also be subtly reminding us that Nation was one of the most ecofriendly writers you could find - recycling old cliches was his forte!"

Hm. Maybe it's a Brit thing!!

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 6  

Alan Moore is a good comic book writer but thanks to years of praise in publications like Entertainment Weekly and Time, there's this notion that he is somehow above and beyond all other creators. Comics is a visual medium and I believe that his artist is just as important as what he writes so I have never understood why he is on such a pedestal. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 7  

Alan Moore is a good comic book writer but thanks to years of praise in publications like Entertainment Weekly and Time, there's this notion that he is somehow above and beyond all other creators. Comics is a visual medium and I believe that his artist is just as important as what he writes so I have never understood why he is on such a pedestal.

••

Timing! Moore came along just as the audience was starting to shift from the traditional fan base to the ennui-engorge fanboys who USED to be looked down upon with such scorn. (I cringe every time I hear someone refer to themselves as a "fanboy". That term was born as a pejorative! Of course, so was "Marvel zombie". sigh)

Tony Centofanti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 8  

Timing! Moore came along just as the audience was starting to shift from the traditional fan base to the ennui-engorge fanboys who USED to be looked down upon with such scorn. (I cringe every time I hear someone refer to themselves as a "fanboy". That term was born as a pejorative! Of course, so was "Marvel zombie". sigh)

----

In Japan, people that  spend all of their time watching anime are known as otaku. It roughly means "Does not keave the house". It's a big insult over there, and yet American fans of anime embraced the term, to the point of their being "Otaku-cons" and what not. 

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

One of the things that has fascinated me, coming from the most dedicated fans of WATCHMEN, are the repeated declarations that these are NOT the Charlton characters, and that Moore's story has nothing to do with the Charlton characters.

Yet the avatars are so obvious, and so NECESSARY to the tale being told. Without Captain Atom/Dr. Manhattan, where would the story be? Likewise without the Question/Rorschach? Blue Beetle/Night Owl? Nightshade/Silk Spectre. Etc.

I enjoyed Watchmen and what brought me on board was that Dr. Manhattan and the others clearly were avatars of the Charlton Action Heroes.

What was ironic was that after DC spent so much money buying them, they got a better story out of these knock-offs than they did out of the actual heroes which they now owned.  

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

Unfortunately, anything done with the Question is usually filtered through Rorschach, the tail wagging the dog. Just like the takes on "atomic" heroes like Captain Atom and Dr. Solar are just different spins on Dr. Manhattan. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

I haven't read the New 52 CAPTAIN ATOM but the Earth-4 (?)
version in Grant Morrison's SUPERMAN BEYOND 3D was definitely a
Dr. Manhattan pastiche.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

...they got a better story out of these knockoffs...

•••

Damning with faint praise! DC's handling of the Charlton characters was AWFUL!

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version