Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 1  

"As originally portrayed, Cap was NOT "Billy grown-up". He was a separate individual.
===========
True, and for as much as I like Captain Marvel (which, frankly isn't very much), that's the version I prefer. However, the "Captain Marvel who shares a mind with Billy Batson" version has been the most prominent one in the last 25 years or so. Also, considering the kinds of stories we've seen since the dawning of the new century, I would have a hard time believing that today's writers wouldn't go out of their way to make any romances with Cap as perverse as possible. Just look some of the stuff they've done to Mary Marvel over the last ten years.

I stand by my notion that it's all icky.
Back to Top profile | search

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 2  

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate thinking about superheroes/villains sex lives.

----

Do you feel that romantic interests like Lois Lane have no place in a Superman comic?

Those are not the same thing.  I can accept that Reed and Sue are married with kids without need of seeing them consumate their vows or conceive on panel.  Even fictional people deserve their privacy.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 22 May 2012 at 6:41am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 3  

Sometimes the attitude toward sex that we find in modern comics reminds me of one of Shooter's more bizarre declarations. He did not like it when I would occasionally use the bottom panel border as the floor -- "objectifying the panel border" he called it -- and declared that "if you don't show the floor, readers won't know there's a floor there!"

I, of course, argued that floors are something we can pretty much take for granted. I asked if he felt that from now on all scenes should take place in front of mirrors, since if readers cannot see the BACKS of the characters, they won't know they have backs! And, somewhat less sarcastically, I said if there WASN'T a floor, that was definitely something I would show.

Shooter's Whim of Iron was in full vigor tho, so this became a RULE, and I started drawing a thick black edge across the bottom of panels whenever I wanted to do my border-as-floor shot. This also got some discussion going around the office, as to what ELSE we needed to show, lest readers not know it was there. Did we need to make sure the characters were shown eating, or readers would assume they were starving to death? And if they eat, did we need to show them using the bathroom? And how explicit did that need to be? Don't want the reader thinking it was a onezie when it was a twozie!

Anyway. . .   not, it seems, sex has entered this realm. Readers must be SHOWN that the characters have sex, or it will be assumed that none of them have, ever. (The stork brings babies in the DC and Marvel universes!)

Speaking of babies -- another reason to be distressed about the Batman/Catwoman sex scene. Have you noticed how so many comicbook characters seem to know nothing at all about safe sex? If sex is so much as implied, pregnancy follows hard upon't.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 4  

I really don't think the reader should be taken there.  Once you open that door, it can get very bizarre.  Reed Richards?  Hank Pym--"What are you in the mood for tonight Janet?  Goliath or Yellowjacket?"  I don't want to be pointed in that direction.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 5  

Hank Pym--"What are you in the mood for tonight Janet? Goliath or Yellowjacket?"

••

You know, they DID that.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 6  

No, I didn't.  It doesn't surprise me.  What does Stan think about these stories?

I guess they could do an arc where someone steals the Pym Particles and Janet is the one who goes insane.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 7  

Neil, here's the scene...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 8  

But hey, it's what makes comics "mature" now!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 9  

That Hank/Jan sex scene was written by Geoff Johns, who is now one of the head honchos at DC.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 10  

That Hank/Jan sex scene was written by Geoff Johns, who is now one of the head honchos at DC.

••

It's my understanding Johns has disowned that scene, claiming it was actually the work of then-head honcho at Marvel, Bill Jemas.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 11  

So wrong on so many levels. Every time I see something like this it only makes my decision to stop getting lots of comics a good one. This scene is right up there with one that shows a hero sitting instead of standing when they take a piss. We don't need to see what our heroes do in the bedroom.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 12  

That Janet Van Dyne/Hank Pym scene is so wrong on so many levels. How did anyone let it happen? When did anyone think Hank Pym and Jan Van Dyne were characters that represented a mature audience only? 

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version