Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 1  

FOUR Robins, TWO of which are ADULTS, and ONE of which is a 10-11 year old SON of Batman!

••

I realized years ago that a job requirement in order to work at DC is an inability to do simple math.

Back to Top profile | search

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 2  

Obviously, being Robin is a one year internship rotation now.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 3  

One of the other ways in which DC is clearly unable to "do the math" goes to statistics. The homosexual population, we're told, runs to around 6% of the general populace. Since DC has HUNDREDS of characters, they must have a veritable extravaganza of Gay folk, good and bad.

Johan Vikberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

Lars Johansson wrote:
Who would care today if someone is gay so what is it to "out"? 10–15 years ago when I was at the gay club then maybe, but now it seems old.

Are you sure, though? What do you make of (skier) Anja Pärson’s coming out the other day? Everyone knew for years she was a dyke, everyone officially ”doesn’t care” – but still my Facebook feed is full of people saying how brave she is, how amazed they are, how proud they are to live in a country where an athlete (female athlete!) can come out (after she’s retired from competition!), a country that’s not like Saudi Arabia (!?) ... 

I agree with you, and obviously they’re ridiculous, and obviously many people who don’t meet a lot of homosexuals are making a big deal about how awesome it is just to show off how tolerant they are, but still – with all that, and the news media blowing it up, there has to be someone who thinks it’s remarkable still in 2012.

Again, I agree with you, and I don’t know who these people are. I thought we were way past this, and much recent reporting felt like a throwback to the 90s. But still.

Edited by Johan Vikberg on 25 June 2012 at 6:04pm

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2012 at 2:23am | IP Logged | 5  

What does DC do? FOUR Robins, TWO of which are ADULTS, and ONE of which is a 10-11 year old SON of Batman!

--

Yup, and that's still the status quo after the "reboot". Which lends new meaning to the words "wasted potential".

On the other hand, there seems to be only one Flash, as I'm lead to believe that Wally West hasn't been seen since the reboot. And this is a character who for 25 years carried the mantle of Flash - which should put him in the record books for replacement heroes.

It also means that Wally has a strong fan base, and for many readers he is the only Flash they ever encountered. Yet he's discarded as yesterday's trash, while Damian Wayne gets to stay on as Robin.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2012 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 6  

I'm a big fan of Wally because he was the Flash when I started reading DC comics, and it was his comic (and Wonder Woman) that got me into DC.

Having said that, even as a huge fan of Wally going back to Barry for a reboot makes sense. Starting over means starting over, and I'm cool with that. Too bad DC isn't, otherwise I'd still be collecting their product. 

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2012 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 7  

I realized years ago that a job requirement in order to work at DC is an inability to do simple math.

---

Meanwhile, over at Marvel, they don't even know how to count. Issue #310 of Wolverine is coming out two weeks before issue #309. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm a big fan of Wally because he was the Flash when I started reading DC comics, and it was his comic (and Wonder Woman) that got me into DC.

Having said that, even as a huge fan of Wally going back to Barry for a reboot makes sense. Starting over means starting over, and I'm cool with that. Too bad DC isn't, otherwise I'd still be collecting their product.

••

When DC decided to try superheroes again, in 1956 (a little earlier, if you count J'Onn J'Onzz) they also decided to "start over". But there was one thing that was very, very different then, than when they did CRISIS, or when they did 52 -- there were no anal fanboys driving the boat.

There was an awareness of the history of the character names, and that gave us the wee nod of Barry Allen reading an issue of FLASH COMICS in his first story. A harmless little moment that maybe caused a few -- very few -- fan's heads to explode, but those were not the fans who were considered important.

Then came Neal Adams.

Neal's arrival was like an whirlwind in the otherwise staid and stodgy environment of DC Comics. Fortunately, Neal, while revolutionizing everything in sight, did so slowly and, above all, carefully. At first, he drew the characters, like Batman, completely on model. We had not seen anything like his photo-realistic style before, but his Batman still looked like Batman. All his characters looked like themselves. Even Deadman, a strip he took over with the second story. He drew the same guy Carmine Infantino had drawn.

But what Neal also symbolized was the end of a long interregnum in which virtually no new talent had come into the business. And while those who followed (including me, just a few years later) were still working within the existing system, and still being monitored by the Old Guard, that was not a situation that could be expected to last.

When I came in, circa 1975, it was already common for fans and younger pros alike to complain that DC's multiple earths made things "too confusing for new readers". It's a curious mixture, when we look at how comics are done today. The anal retentive fanboys were beginning to make their presence felt -- things were "too confusing" because, of course, EVERYTHING had to be mentioned, EVERY TIME -- while at the same time there was still concern for that most precious commodity, the NEW READER!

After the Battle of Britain, Winston Churchill said (paraphrasing) "This is not the end, and it is not the beginning of the end. But it may be the end of the beginning." For comics, the end of the beginning could be seen as the moment when those people who complained that multiple earths made things "too confusing" reached a position of power that allowed them to DO SOMETHING about it.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2012 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 9  

Re Wolverine 309 and 310, sorry, 310 and 309.

Will somebody please just start to care about the job and sort this rabble out? Is there anyone that wouldn't get sacked in any other job?

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2012 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 10  

How did Wolverine get past issue 300? He just got his own title yesterday? Am I getting that old? Amazing Spider-Man wasn't at 300 when I started reading it!  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 11  

The 300+ number for Wolverine is some kind of marketing ploy, surely?

Checking the Grand Comicbook Database, I don't see any series bearing the name WOLVERINE that ran anywhere close to that number -- it would take a continuous run of more that 25 years to hit 310 and the oldest long-running series (1988, so less than 25 years anyway) ran for 190.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 12  

Its the Grand Marvel Comics Accumulator - take all the previous runs and add together, but only near a 'significant number' like a multiple of 100. After a few issues revert back to a new number one until you get near the next multiple and accumulate again.

Repeat until someone shoots you in the head

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version