Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2012 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 1  

Tom, the thought of a government official sitting down at a DC cafe to have a "comic guide" explain the multi-verse is hilarious. I love it!
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2012 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 2  

JB:  And to make it worse, I have often had to ask those questions when dealing with what is supposed to be the SAME character. One of the things that wearied me most, working at DC, was having Batman guest star in one of my books, and having to ask "Who is Batman this month?" Meaning not "who's wearing the suit", but "how is his personality being portrayed?"

I'm curious, what would be the reaction when you'd ask (an editor?)  With the way things were/are going it seems a perfectly logical and professional question.  And yet.....
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeffery Tolbird
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 3  

Two more heroes outed?

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

Great Saffro that is one hell of a drop! 

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

When you have to start an explanation with "The DC Universe is really a Multi-verse..." you're already in trouble.

This is the most frustrating part of the whole "New 52" for me. They had a chance to just start over with the basic characters and new ideas, instead they seem to keep ALL the characters and old ideas of multi-verses. 

I don't get the feeling that everything was all planned out, no outline of this "New 52". No real soul searching on what are the core characters for DC and what can be let go. 

If you're going to re-launch, RE-LAUNCH!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

Brad, I disagree. There are at this point a number of characters and concepts that not only haven't been brought back, but now cannot be. The members of Infinity Inc. are the most obvious of these.

And Earth 2 by itself doesn't necessarily imply a multiverse. At this point, it's just one parallel universe, which allows them to use the Jay Garrick & Alan Scott characters as well as the JSA without having them act as the JLA's grandparents or back-up squad. Alan Scott is supposedly set to become Earth 2's primary super-hero, since the new Earth 2 no longer has a Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman to represent it. James Robinson, one of the company's superluminaries, apparently wanted to write the Justice Society cleanly, without having to constantly reference "those other guys" with the same names and their complex, criss-crossing backstories.

Also, since the new "history" of the Justice League members goes back only five years supposedly, and Alan and Jay are only just now gaining their powers, the numbering of the two Earths will finally be "correct" for those who've wondered in the past why "Earth 2" is called that when it had its super-heroes "first."

With the new 52 so far, we haven't seen the headlong plunge that we saw immediately Post-Crisis to re-introduce every single character and story element in new, more "logical" or "badass" forms.

I do believe a certain amount of thought went into the initial decisions behind this relaunch. (The "outing" of Alan Scott and attendant publicity notwithstanding.) There are some things that have been left by the side of the road. DC apparently felt that the Batman and Green Lantern books were selling too well to mess with any aspect of those, but all of the recent Superman reboots have been undone at this point, thereby "undoing" a number of unpleasant, extended storylines that failed. There's no guarantee some creator at some point won't feel the absolute need to bring back Gaiman's Sandman as Hector Hall's son Daniel and thereby retcon the entirety of the Infinity Inc. mess back into the storyline, but to this point, such shenanigans haven't taken place.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2012 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

They lost me at four Robins.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 8  

And there we have it. 

Four Robins is really what makes me bristle too. I'm a huge fan of Tim Drake, I really am - I think that kid is great. And Nightwing? Possibly my favourite character in the DCU, but only on days when my favourite isn't either the Wally West Flash or made-of-clay Wonder Woman. 

You know what I'd do if I rebooted the DCU? Make Dick the teenage Robin again. That would eliminate TWO of my favourites in one go, but even loving Tim as I do and the Nightwing identity for Dick as I do, I still understand what simplify and core mean. One Batman. One Robin. Their civilian identities are Bruce Wayne and Richard "Dick" Grayson. 

What does DC do? FOUR Robins, TWO of which are ADULTS, and ONE of which is a 10-11 year old SON of Batman! It hurts my head thinking about it, and I'm the geek that's versed in this stuff!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

Jeez, why are you all so down on the Robins? Having too many means there's plenty of death stories to look forward to! We all love death stories, especially done as BIG EVENTS !!! 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 23 June 2012 at 10:46pm

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

Even as a kid I understood that the JLA's Earth was "One" because it
was where DC's primary focus was. The Earth-Two heroes may have
been older and come first but they fell out of favor and went into
Limbo for awhile. When they came back it was decided, for good or ill,
that they inhabited a parallel world that was only looked into from time
to time.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 11  

Four Robins in five years. Two of which are adults.

Just how old was Dick Grayson when he became Robin now? If you are going to reboot, reboot - as mentioned above.

Cake and eat it simply alienates new readers who quickly get lost in the referencing and expanations of why a took place but b didn't.

That and the constant head chopping.

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 12  

Jeez, why are you all so down on the Robins?

Because they've eaten all the damn worms in my yard!

Back to Top profile | search

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version