Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

The main problem with the existence of Obsidian and Jade right now isn't that Alan is gay. It's that he's still in his twenties with a lover who seems even younger. Even if they should decide to become parents, Jade and Obsidian as their fans knew them are effectively "in limbo."

Which I'm personally fine with. Part of "starting over" should be letting a great amount of accretion go, and all of Infinity Inc. were deliberate tack-ons, spin-offs, and additional material ladled onto the Justice Society as it existed back in the 80's. If the JSA is to start off from square one, all of that extra stuff has to go away.

Unfortunately, that extra stuff is somebody's favorite stuff, and they likely feel singled out by all of this. It's unfortunate, but unavoidable, unless "starting over" is to mean "everything's exactly the same" as in the cases of the Batman and Green Lantern continuities.

There is of course still the "hope" for fans of Jade and Obsidian that similar characters will arise at some point in the near future, perhaps as the grandchildren of Arion of Atlantis or members of an Even Younger Young All-Stars. They could travel back in time to the present from some future where they are the children of Alan Scott but dare not tell him for fear of erasing their own timeline, or somesuch...

This however would amount to blatant fanservice in my opinion. Post-Crisis writers were tripping over one another to show fans where each and every piece of the pre-existing puzzle "fit" into the new cosmology. Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot were reintroduced without the awkward device of existing at the same time as their adult self. Mer-Boy came back, but as a young Aquaman. Comet the Super-Horse was now a humanoid space alien. Members of the Global Guardians were still around, some of them in multiple incarnations as writers tangled up their story threads in the rush to re-establish everything that ever was, but "different."

What I'd like to see more from the NuDC would be some genuine invention. Rather than trying to come up with ways for Jade and Obsidian to exist again, come up with different characters altogether. And no, I don't mean to create "Todd" and "Jenny," two mysterious loner kids who work in Alan Scott's corporation somewhere and hide a deadly secret connection to the strange beings he fought last month who called themselves "Nephrite" and "Pitchstone."

Create someone's NEW favorite characters.

Edited by Brian Hague on 12 June 2012 at 5:50pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 2  

>>>"We have the chance here to clean house and make everything fresh
and new and accessible -- but let's not!"

CRISIS all over again!<<<

Absolutely! Why relaunch an entire comic book universe/multiverse if you're
not going to make it as inaccessible as it was before. If Green Lantern by
Geoff Johns is selling well, a relaunched from the ground-up Green Lantern
by Geoff Johns would likely continue the trend. While I've really enjoyed the
relaunched Batman book, I couldn't believe Dick, Tim, and Damien had all
been Robin. A writer has suggested a series called The Robins. Sighhhh...
Back to Top profile | search

Steve WeZ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

"From the link in the OP:
"DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio said that a "prominent" DC Comics character will soon come out of the closet..."

I agree with what JB is saying- this is not the same character. DC's claims above are false advertising. "

Or DC will actually "out" a character. 
  That quote came first and THEN things spiraled from another quote on Twitter and then that Bleeding website heard a rumor about Alan Scott. 

Yet, maybe Didio was ( maybe ) referring to a main stream character coming out... If it were true, I'd guess Tim Drake.( Robin )   

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

"It's not lying. It's a gift for fiction."

Oh, and...

"If it were true, I'd guess Tim Drake.( Robin )"

Robin is a mainstream character. Tim Drake is NOT. To be a "mainstream" character is a lot like what I have said about being "famous". When people ask me if I am "famous", I say "Have YOU ever heard of me?" To be "famous", one must be known by those who are not intimately familiar with their field.

To be a "mainstream" character, the character must be recognizable even to those who have only limited awareness of comics. Thus, say "Robin" to most civilians, and they know he's connected to Batman. Say "Tim Drake" and they'll say "Who?"

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:11am | IP Logged | 5  

how did Walt Kelly letter?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:48am | IP Logged | 6  

how did Walt Kelly letter?

••

With a pen. Pretty amazing, huh?

The font I created to use on NEXT MEN is based on the lettering in POGO. Very "bouncy" and distinctive.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:52am | IP Logged | 7  

what pen? come on! I know you know, and know you knaow that if you tell me I'm going to march right out there and buy one, that is, if I don't already HAVE one!!

Pleeeaeaeaeaease?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:58am | IP Logged | 8  

what pen?

••

No idea.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 9  

I sound such the eternal Frosh, here, but, do artists consider this a pen or a brush?

link

Edited by Joe Smith on 13 June 2012 at 3:00am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 10  

Pen.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2012 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 11  

I got them!
Thanks!
NOW!
Back to DC being ridiculous.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2012 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 12  

How did Walt Kelly letter?  With an assistant.

From the late 50's onward, the lettering in Pogo (including the exampled posted by JB) was done by Henry Shikuma.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 14 June 2012 at 1:37am

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version