Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 1  

This is an image from the first comic I ever "read." I had no problem accepting the fact that the Justice League had counter-parts from "somewhere else" that had the powers they did and that they'd team up. I sat and looked at that image and would try and match up the counter-parts. It was fun.

Back to Top profile | search

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 2  

Adam, I remember doing the same thing quite often as a youngun.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 3  

If DC was putting a comic out featuring the cover Adam posted, I would collect that series. Incidentally, I could also buy it for my nephew. And it would probably have subplots in it, but the main story would start and finish in that issue. 

Just saying. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 4  

Neil Brauer wrote:
...Conan mentioned thr GL "outing" last night in his monologue. What he failed to mention was that it was E2 GL. The punchline was that we should have known all along because his power was derived from Emarald jewelry...

John Byrne wrote:
...DC really thought this thru, didn't they?...

Yep. I all ready have people coming into the shop that ask me if I heard that Green Lantern is gay. The non-comics fan, or the casual comics fans don't distinguish one Green Lantern from the others, as a rule. Mostly because they don't know a thing about the whole alternate versions of characters.

I wonder what impact this will have on any chance of a "Green Lantern" movie sequel? The general public isn't always so enlightened as to accept what they might think is a film with a gay lead character as a superhero.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 05 June 2012 at 8:10am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 5  

Any chance of a GL sequel was trashed by the first film only grossing $116mil domestic.  I've heard from reliable sources that it's considered radioactive right now., so I think it will be a very, very long time before (and if!) WB decides to approach the material again.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 6  

I wonder what impact this will have on any chance of a "Green Lantern" movie sequel? The general public isn't always so enlightened as to accept what they might think is a film with a gay lead character as a superhero.

••

The likelihood of a GREEN LANTERN sequel is remote, I should think -- tho if JOHNNY ENGLISH can get a sequel, anything is possible!

What I would predict, tho, is that if there IS a sequel there will be a backlash from the Gay community, as well as the uninformed press, when Hal Jordan ISN'T portrayed as Gay.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 7  

When/IF Green Lantern re-enters the general public's frame of reference again, I doubt anyone will even remember this.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

Brad wrote:
If DC was putting a comic out featuring the cover Adam posted, I would collect that series. Incidentally, I could also buy it for my nephew. And it would probably have subplots in it, but the main story would start and finish in that issue. 

Just saying.
Nah, it would be a two or three part story. 

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

When/IF Green Lantern re-enters the general public's frame of reference again, I doubt anyone will even remember this.

I think this is the truest statement in this thread.  These kinds of things don't seem to have any lasting impact outside of the fandom, unless they happen to bleed over into other media (as in the case of Nick Fury's race change).  How many people remember Spider-Man's change of race, despite the equal amount of press attention a while back?

Down the line, people might remember that some super hero is gay but I doubt they'll remember which one.  Heck, when the Green Lantern film came out, I heard a number of comments about "another one already?" -- presumably confusing Lantern with previously released Hornet.

Edited by Thom Price on 05 June 2012 at 6:40pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

At least a couple of those JSA/JLA crossovers lasted 2 or 3 issues. (And
they were really good multipart series.)

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

The majority were two or more issues. The only single issue team up I can think of is JLAofA #113 which came out when the book was 100 pages and bi-monthly. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 12  

Adam, I remember doing the same thing quite often as a youngun.

Me three! I thought it was neat.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version