Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

D'oh...! Lousy phone...

Back to topic: Hey, how 'bout that gay Alan Scott?

Edited by Eric Smearman on 03 June 2012 at 5:53pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged | 2  

The way I look at it unless/until  they mention Jade she never existed and any story she was involved in didn't either.
--

The problem, of course, is that the Green Lantern storyline continues as if the reboot has never happened. Everything that transpired before (at least post REBIRTH) still happened. The lanterns' past seem unchanged.

But gay or not, if Alan Scott simply resides on Earth 2, then Jade would never have been able to be a part of Kyle's life.

This is perhaps one of the biggest problems of the "New 52" reboot - they decided to reboot some storylines from scratch, while keeping others. Giving people cause to dwell too much on questions like these.

Which is why "New 52" became the perfect jumping OFF point for me.

Nothing I've read or heard since then has made me regret that decision. Quite the contrary. This thread topic is just one of many examples.

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged | 3  

The problem, of course, is that the Green Lantern storyline continues as if the reboot has never happened. Everything that transpired before (at least post REBIRTH) still happened. The lanterns' past seem unchanged.

---

I agree with Petter. This right here is why the whole New 52 thing lost me completely; I was really enjoying the past few years of Green Lantern, but hating that same stretch of Batman, and then they reboot everything and... both Batman and Green Lantern continue on as if nothing happened. 

This is a problem because that meant I still couldn't read/enjoy Batman, but also, my Green Lantern is in a really weird place. Blackest Night still happened... but it couldn't have because it involved characters that simply don't exist anymore. Brightest Day still happened... but it couldn't have, because it involved characters that simply aren't the same anymore and in some cases don't exist. 

Kyle and Soranik Natu broke up and still haven't reconciled because Kyle's subconscious revealed Jade to be his true love; but since Jade doesn't exist... 

So might as well just drop everything! Thanks, DC, for saving me some money every week!

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 4:06am | IP Logged | 4  

I really don't see what could have been gained by the Silver Age Flash being effectively as we were introduced to him, except that his name was "Jay Garrick". DC actually did that with Hawkman, contriving a way for him to be "Carter Hall" in the new version, but it really added nothing to the story.
==============================
There have been many incarnations of certain characters, Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, Frankenstein, just to name a few. Some of those incarnations have been faithful to the intent of their creators down to the comma, others have been so radically different that they are the character in name only. But whether, say, Holmes is presented in a faithful Victorian dress adaptation, or in a loosely "inspired by" modern dress variation, everyone gets that it's meant to be the same character, or at least the same concept. People don't seem to come away thinking that the filmmakers are saying that there are now two Sherlock Holmes, just that they are providing a different interpretation.

So, my thought is that what might have been gained by continuing with the same secret identity, be it in name only, is that those fans who remembered the old versions might've realized that these were simply new versions of the older concept, and not entirely new creations. It would've eliminated the suggestion that the older character was still out there, just waiting to be re-introduced.

I think it could have worked because, lets face it, the only silver age reboot who wasn't simply a new take on an old concept was the Atom. The differences between Garrick and Allen, or Scott and Jordan are mainly in their origins. The basic concept of what the character does is still the same. The characters are about as different as the two origins for Green Arrow, and it wasn't until Earth Two was well established that people began thinking that those differences gave us two G.A's.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 5  

If Barry Allen had been reading about Jay Garrick in Look or Life, this whole mess could have been avoided.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 6  

I think when I gave up on Flash was when Wally West, to avoid spoilers, his predecessor was still alive. Wally West was perfect as Flash and he was thin and had a runner's body.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

"If Barry Allen had been reading about Jay Garrick in Look or Life, this whole mess could have been avoided."
============================
Well, they did something like that:

Unfortunately, that didn't work.

To my mind, if they had really intended to jettison the older character for the new creations, they should  have never referred to them. And when some fans asked what had happened to the originals, they should have said they never existed.

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

"This right here is why the whole New 52 thing lost me completely; I was really enjoying the past few years of Green Lantern, but hating that same stretch of Batman, and then they reboot everything and... both Batman and Green Lantern continue on as if nothing happened."
====================
It's just like what happened in the 50's! DC rebooted a number of characters, while their big three continued on in uninterrupted publication. Part of what eventually led to all those Crisis was that there never was a clear demarcation between the Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman who were contemporaries with the JSA, and those that were contemporary with the JLA. It was really troubling with Wonder Woman, considering she was the secretary for one, and a founding member of the other!  As late as the 70's, the (supposedly) Earth One Batman would often refer to adventures of his that had been been published in the 40's and 50's as his own, even though all the other adventures of the other characters from those times were revealed to have happened on Earth Two.

With as many times as DC has hit the Cosmic Re-Set Button, you'd think they would have learned not to make those mistakes anymore.

Edited by Glen Keith on 04 June 2012 at 4:21pm

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

You guys have forgotten how much fun thee alternate Earth-2 stuff
was for kids. JSA/JLA crossovers were among the best DC books in the
70s.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

JLA# 102, the third part of a 3 part team-up with the JSA and the
Seven Soldiers of Victory, was one of my first superhero comics. I
could barely read yet but it hooked me immediately! I wanted to know
more about all the cool characters! As I got better at reading by
myself I ate up all the parallel Earth stuff. I loved the JLA/JSA stories,
especially when they'd bring in the Freedom Fighters or the Fawcett
heroes and their respective Earths. None of this stuff bothered or
confused me, ever. I loved it!

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

You guys have forgotten how much fun thee alternate Earth-2 stuff
was for kids. JSA/JLA crossovers were among the best DC books in the
70s.
==========================
Actually, I do remember that stuff from when I was a kid in the 70's. I remember how much I hated it. It annoyed me that DC could never commit to just one version of a character, and that they constantly had those variations meeting. While I liked learning about new characters, I quickly gave up on the JLA, and soon after the DC Universe in general.

Among the many reasons I was a committed Marvelphile 'til well into the 80's

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

What about the de-powered Emma Peel Wonder Woman of the late 60's?  I don't even remember how they explained that one.

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version