Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 1  

WAY too complicated! How it was done was best. A clean start. No need for readers to have ANY experience of "what had gone before". No need to explain elapsed time. No need to worry about anal-retentive fanboys. Nothing to cause even a moments hesitation for a potential new reader. Just jump in with a whole bunch of new characters and say IT STARTS HERE.
======================
Well, when I said "some later archaeologist", I meant much later, like, 20-30 years later. I agree that a fresh start at the time was probably best, but It could have been done without inventing new identities. Like a reverse "Dragnet", the names remained the same, but everything else has changed.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 2  

WAY too complicated! How it was done was best. A clean start. No need for readers to have ANY experience of "what had gone before". No need to explain elapsed time. No need to worry about anal-retentive fanboys. Nothing to cause even a moments hesitation for a potential new reader. Just jump in with a whole bunch of new characters and say IT STARTS HERE.

======================

Well, when I said "some later archaeologist", I meant much later, like, 20-30 years later. I agree that a fresh start at the time was probably best, but It could have been done without inventing new identities. Like a reverse "Dragnet", the names remained the same, but everything else has changed.

••

I really don't see what could have been gained by the Silver Age Flash being effectively as we were introduced to him, except that his name was "Jay Garrick". DC actually did that with Hawkman, contriving a way for him to be "Carter Hall" in the new version, but it really added nothing to the story.

When creating new characters -- even if they are in some way derivative of previously existing ones (in fact, ESPECIALLY then!!) -- the mantra should ever and always be CLEAN AND SIMPLE, CLEAN AND SIMPLE. Open the door to new readers, and don't make them jump thru ANY hoops getting there.

Marvel had the same idea. When they brought back old characters, it was either in new forms that completely ignored the previous iteration (the Human Torch, for instance -- as I have noted, when he blazed thru the sky over Central City in FF 1, no one cried out "He's back!") -- or provided a way for the originals to return without the need to invoke parallel worlds (Sub-Mariner, Captain America). CLEAN AND SIMPLE, CLEAN AND SIMPLE!

And were there people who wrote in to say "How can Cap have been frozen in 1945, when his comic continued publication thru 1956?" Probably not -- but if there were, you can be sure their letters ended up in the trash, where they belonged.

Alas, the influx of fans-turned-pro would not let that last!

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 3  

Well I have seen on some forums referring to him as the "gay lantern". I'm sure that is what everyone was aiming for.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 4  

I'm sure Roy Thomas had that very thought!!!!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 5  

I caught a few minutes of the new GREEN LANTERN cartoon on Cartoon Network (?) this morning and found myself wondering how many people (kids? parents?) are out there thinking, "Oh yeah, this is the new gay character..."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
…Power Girl and the Huntress still have some awkward ties to those Earth 2 Superman and Batman "duplicates"…
Same as it was before. Power Girl is the cousin of the Earth 2 Superman and Huntress is the daughter of the Earth 2 Batman. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 7  

…Power Girl and the Huntress still have some awkward ties to those Earth 2 Superman and Batman "duplicates"…

++

Same as it was before. Power Girl is the cousin of the Earth 2 Superman and Huntress is the daughter of the Earth 2 Batman.

••

Nu52 gives us Gay Lantern, but we mustn't mess with THAT!!

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 8  

At least Huntress was originally Robin. I don't think that happened in
the original incarnation.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 9  

I don't care for the new Power Girl costume btw... feels a bit generic to me...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 10  

And her emblem looks like an E, not a P.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 11  

JB wrote:

MN wrote:

••

Nu52 gives us Gay Lantern, but we mustn't mess with THAT!!

They've been messing with it since COIE. Its only recently that they brought it back. With Huntress as of last month. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 June 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 12  

Ah! So Nu52 continues DC's recent "traditon" of innovation-thru-copying-what-we-did-years-ago.

Brilliant.

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version