Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

Unfortunately, with the Grant Morrison GN that bumped the new E-3
into the number 2 spot

---

If you are referring to JLA: Earth-2, there were only Earth and the
antimatter Earth (in the universe where Qward exists). The Earth-2 gag
refers to the JLA's Earth, since antimatter Luthor categorizes it from his
perspective. A similar gag was used in Futurama where the crew ends
up in a parallel universe, and they start squabbling over which one was
Universe 2, so they settle on Universe 1 and Universe A.
Back to Top profile | search

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

I am going to try and look into the future;  we are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

E-2 GL #1:Does well in sales, maybe even exceptional sales.  Is regaled as a raging success!

E-2 GL #2:More than a %50 drop in sales.  DC says is to be expected, will get footing.

E-2 GL #3-8:Sales continue free fall.  Not a peep from DC, too busy planning and executing next stunt.  E-2 GL will make many guest appearences to promote failing title.

E-2 GL #9:Title is quietly cancelled with no fanfare.  Sales around 6500 units sold.

Legacy:Will permanently embed homosexuallity of every GL in the consciousness of the public at large.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Jeffery Tolbird
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

Why does Alan Scott's sexual orientation preclude his having children? Are
there no turkey basters on earth 2? lol.... and please stop saying "Gay" like
its a bad thing! You know who you are! :)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

Turkey basters don't even enter the picture. My father-in-law/my children's grandfather is gay. How "realistic" are they going to go with this? If we are still talking about the 1940's Golden Age Green Lantern, as used to be the custom on Earth-2, there would have been even more gay-men trying to lead straight lives than there are today. It's a question of what age Alan Scott was when he embraced his orientation and come out.

Of course, recent posts make me doubt that Earth-2 is still the "Golden Age" Earth. So who knows what the culture's like over there?

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

Why does Alan Scott's sexual orientation preclude his having children?

---

No one said that. But de-aging Alan Scott to be a man in his late 20s DOES preclude him from having a 20ish year old son or daughter. It's not the gay that means he can't have grown kids - it's the AGE. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

...slacker loser Jay Garrick...

•••

Didn't know about this one. But, of course. Jay was originally introduced as a BMOC and -- horrors! -- a jock! Can't let that stand, if we're going to pander to the perceived audience!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

Once again, we are most definitely NOT talking about the 1940's Golden Age Green Lantern as used to be the custom on Earth-2.

The nu52 rebooted everything. No more 1940's super-heroes. No more World War II era JSA. Everything's nu.

This will of course be difficult to explain to the general public who are just today hearing that the Original Green Lantern is the one who's been outed. Those who are willing to put in the study time to figure out a difference between Alan Scott and Hal Jordan will still be hard-pressed to figure out a difference between Alan Scott and Nu-Alan Scott.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

Jay is a particular favorite of mine as the cover of Flash #229 is key in my gaining an appreciation for the kinds of stories super-hero comics told. I really really liked the idea of an older generation of heroes who actually were published back when my dad was a kid. It blew my shoes off (usually tried to get away without putting on socks...) to think that I could read stories about the same guy my dad had read stories about. Just impossibly cool to my young eyes!

The new racing eyesore version of Jay was shown in the first issue of "Earth 2" to be a perrenial mope who's girlfriend is leaving him because she actually has a future and Jay is simply never going to amount to anything. Then the god Mercury falls out of the sky in front of him and we're off to the races...

The original Jay was the team "scrub" and a "leadfoot" as I recall who had trouble getting the coach to put him into a game. His girlfriend berates him for not applying himself to football and making something of himself. Once he gains his powers, wins the game, and becomes the "Hero of the Day", things are different, of course, but then his college career goes by in a flash and he's graduated in the next panel, with only his previously scornful girlfriend Joan wise to his super-speeding ways.

Unfortunately, with comics storytelling being... soooo... muuuucchhh... ssslloowwwwerrrr.... nowwww, Jay is likely be a "scrub" and "an old washwoman" for years or the length of the book's publication run, whichever comes first. The latter almost assuredly...

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 9  

Brian: The nu52 rebooted everything. No more 1940's super-heroes. No more World War II era JSA. Everything's nu.

If everything here on Earth 1 is nu and everything over on Earth 2 is nu, then what's the difference between Earth 1 and Earth 2? The drapes? What's the point of having an Earth 2?

Something tells me the real reason we still have Earth 2 is Power Girl's chest.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 10  

NuPower Girl and NuHuntress are trapped on Earth 1 in the New 52.

Edited to add: And the Paul Levitz written, George Perez and Kevin
Maguire drawn first issue was pretty good.

Edited by Adam Hutchinson on 02 June 2012 at 6:58am

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Yesterday, a "civilian" who knows I'm an avid comics reader asked, "So,
Green Lantern's gay now...?" I replied, "Well, one of them is." None of the
Earth-1/Earth-2 business was in her head at all.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 12  

Yesterday, a "civilian" who knows I'm an avid comics reader asked, "So, Green Lantern's gay now...?" I replied, "Well, one of them is." None of the Earth-1/Earth-2 business was in her head at all.

••

Whatever mythology DC might be spinning about all this, you know this is the real reason Alan got elected. DC would never do this with Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman (despite what so many people assume about Diana), but Green Lantern is currently a character civilians know. And, since they DON'T know there are "multiple earths", this allows DC to pull the same con I noted earlier with Superman and Lois' wedding issue in ACTION -- a flashback to the marriage of the couple from Earth 2.

"Green Lantern is Gay now" will get some people into the shops who might never otherwise have crossed the threshold.

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version