Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 1  

On Yahoo it's the number 1 "trending now" story.  Every headline is "GL outed as gay", not "Earth 2 GL outed as gay". Does DC not understand the shit storm they have just caused?  The general public doesn't understand Earth 1, Earth 2, Golden Age, Silver Age.  I guess it's a way to make an Iconic character gay..but not really.  But yes he really is GL, but not the one you know.  This will piss off the long time fans as well as the casual fan and even the non-fan.  The more I think about this, the more I realize this is the most moronic stunt they have pulled yet..by far.  The risk/reward is way off on this one.  Huge downside, very limited upside.  The more press it gets the worse it is!  From now on every GL will be gay in the public's eye.  They can't retcon that away.

Back to Top profile | search

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

How long before it's the Gay Lantern Corps*?

*in the eyes of civilians, I mean...

Edited by Flavio Sapha on 01 June 2012 at 12:19pm

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

I wonder how Molly took the news...?

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

Kind of speaking of Molly, here's a bit from an interview with Robinson from Newsarama:

QUOTE:
It was something I came up with when I was first putting this modern version of Justice Society together about eight months ago.I really believe in this idea of relaunching the Justice Society and making them younger. But I thought it was a shame that we lost Jade and Obsidian, who are Alan Scott's children. Obsidian has been in the comics for years and was a positive gay character.And then, in the way that one idea can spring forward to the next, I thought, well, let's make Alan Scott gay. And to DC and to Dan DiDio's credit, when I ran the idea past him, there wasn't a moment's hesitation. He was like, "Yeah, that's great. Let's do it."I can't speak for him, honestly, but if he's anything like me, he's a little bit surprised that the media and people have been so interested in it. Although I guess it's really great that the book's getting attention because of it.

Edited by Adam Hutchinson on 01 June 2012 at 12:57pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

"And to DC and to Dan DiDio's credit, when I ran the idea past him, there wasn't a moment's hesitation. He was like, "Yeah, that's great. Let's do it."

I can't speak for him, honestly, but if he's anything like me, he's a little bit surprised that the media and people have been so interested in it. "

For some reason, the word disingenuous is now echoing in my head.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

WOW! I am surprised the media is so interested after I made an announcement to the media!

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

He mentioned one key word that always comes up during a reboot--"younger".  I wonder if "edgy" appeared anywhere in the article.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think the media's latching on to this was the vague way Didio phrased his announcement and the timing of it with Marvel's announcement of Northstar's marriage. A perfect storm of gay-related, "edgy" news about those craz-zay comic books. His surprise may be genuine, but I doubt Didio's in the same boat.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

As far as I know Didio and Robinson didn't, at least initially, make the announcement to the "media." The first I saw it was in a report from the Kapow Con on Bleeding Cool. Which is also the source Matt Hawes' article uses in the thread's first post.

That being said, I can't imagine anyone at DC being disappointed in the attention.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

Dan Didio likes reboots. He has had more reboots than everyone before him together.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

Adam: As far as I know Didio and Robinson didn't, at least initially, make the announcement to the "media." The first I saw it was in a report from the Kapow Con on Bleeding Cool.

---

Giving an "online interview" is the same as "announcing to the media". Any large/seasoned company should know that.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

I do like Robinson's honesty about Obsidian though. He acknowledges that making Alan Scott younger eliminates a gay character, and that he got the idea to make Scott himself gay from that circumstance. 

In other words, he basically admits to not creating a "new" gay character, just replacing one that got deleted by the reboot. So the net gay characters in comics - with Northstar getting married, and Alan Scott being gay instead of his son - is exactly what it was BEFORE all of this hoopla!

There is NO INCREASE in gay characters in EITHER Marvel or DC's announcements!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version