Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

If there is not a permanent thread for posts that need to be saved for posterity, I vote we start one...this is priceless.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

The real problem with the organic shooters isn't their lack of "practicality",
but the loss of characterisation.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

As incomprehensible as the rest of the post was...isn't that a valid point about Superman's muscular growth?  And I don't mean valid in that I think it should ever be represented that way in a comic book.  But if we're looking to apply real world physics to the conceit of the character, then yeah, he should look nearly atrophied, as there is nothing in our environment would work on his muscles.  Walking, running, lifting cars...none of it would exert enough resistance to make his muscles grow.

And again, no, I am not advocating this should be explored in an actual Superman story.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think it is ripe ground for someone to create a character to explore it, though. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

But if we're looking to apply real world physics to the conceit of the character, then yeah, he should look nearly atrophied, as there is nothing in our environment would work on his muscles

Some people do have genetically large muscles. I think there was a story about a baby born to 2 German athelets a few years ago who was ripped, also certain dog breeds, some Greyhounds, and cattle have just naturally huge muscles. And gravity does work on Superman, he doesn't just float like a helium balloon.

Oh here's a link on the genetic condition that causes big muscles

http://www.who-sucks.com/people/monstrous-myostatin-misfortu nes-a-collection-of-myostatin-deficiency-pictures

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

Jonathan: As incomprehensible as the rest of the post was...isn't that a valid point about Superman's muscular growth?

But why single out that part of the web of illogic represented in Superman's physical appearance? It's not like it all makes sense except for that one part. There's really not a single part of the idea that Superman came from another planet, has super-powers, but looks and acts so much like us that he can easily pass for one of us that "works".

The trick is to come up with and preserve the ideas that help sell this notion so that it seems like it could be true.

In other words, resist the temptation to do books like Watchmen... Oops.

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

Gravity works on him in the sense that it keep him on the ground, sure.  So long as he is doing nothing to exert himself away from the earth.  I guess if we're pulling that string out even more, walking would either require an insane level of concerted control on his part, or the act of flying just a hair above the surface of the earth.

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

Technically, I suppose there's no contextual reason for the Flash to be "built like a runner",

I always thought it was fun that Berthold (Eric Idle's character) in Baron Munchaussen, who could run really fast, had enourmously muscular legs and had to walk around wearing ball and chains to slow him down.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

Keith, my sister has always been like that a 6-pack without doing anything at all. It could be that these people don't have any fat cover so you see all the muscles, that could be one part of it, but I'm sorry I didn't inherit that sixpack. But anyway if we talk about normal people, if Superman's muscles are going to be exercised at all and if they are going to become bigger, he has to exceed their absolute limit and lift something that they barely can't lift. That's how muscles are grown. And he will always be way below that limit. So the muscles would just disappear.

Added: And it's a difference between the look of muscles and who is strong in reality. So assuming that Superman is a normal non freak and the muscles are the way normal people have with size and fat tissue, he cannot look like that and if he can his muscles will cease to work.

Edited by Lars Johansson on 30 May 2012 at 4:25pm

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 10  

Unless Superman is an alien or something and in his species they don't need to do that to make their muscles grow ;)  That's why I mentioned the baby, he never had to lift anything his muscles were just that way from birth.

Edited by Keith Thomas on 30 May 2012 at 4:31pm

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

Not a bad point.  He might not even have muscles.  The exterior could be human-looking, and the interior little more than a concentrated warehouse of near-limitless energy.

Though, I think the established mythos is that the yellow sun grants him his powers, and without that Kryptonians are essentially humans in all practical aspects.  Otherwise, his visits to the doctor as an infant with Ma and Pa Kent would have lead to some startling questions.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2012 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 12  

Edit:  Sorry, just read about it today.  Didn't know it was confirmed earlier. 

[NY Daily News]

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 01 June 2012 at 11:08am

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version