Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 4:29am | IP Logged | 1  

Ross's Flash is that he draws the seams in exactly the same place as a commercially available Halloween costume.  [pictures]

This is just me bitching about body types again -- but couldn't either Alex Ross OR the costume company hire a model that's built like a RUNNER?

Back to Top profile | search

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 2  

As to the Alan Scott costume -- how does he raise his arms above his head?

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 3  

He doesn't.

Now the writer(s) much be careful not to ask for scenes where GL HAS to raise his arms... otherwise the artist is f****d.

Thing is, they could've done an uniform very close to that one but much more practical if only they had the 'shoulder piece' removed but keeping that colour in that place but in the fabric. Use the same scheme, but everything in fabric.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 4  

Only thing that ever troubled me about Barry's collapsible costume, when I was a kid, was that he wore it OVER his street clothes!

And, he wasn't the only one. Ray Palmer wore his Atom costume all the time over his street clothes, only it was invisible when he was full size (one of the things that annoyed me when he was brought back as the Atom, he was being shown at full size in his Atom costume).

And, I think the Creeper's costume was also worn over his street clothes all the time, only invisible until he triggered his molecular device.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 5  

Good god, that new Alan Scott outfit is awful. I stand corrected on my earlier excitement on the possibilty of an ongoing Alan Scott comic. I want to see the classic costume not this monstrosity of a design.

In regards to the Flash wearing his costume over his clothes. It was one of those things I never even thought about. Now it's stuck in my head.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 6  

hire a model that's built like a RUNNER?
++

Yes! Thank you for saying it!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 7  

As to the Alan Scott costume -- how does he raise his arms above his head?

••

Assuming the costume to be made of ring plasma, I don't really see that as a problem. The forms would reshape to the movements of his body.

Doesn't alter the fact that it's a pretty ugly (my favorite oxymoron!) outfit, but that's not really one of its flaws.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 8  

And, he wasn't the only one. Ray Palmer wore his Atom costume all the time over his street clothes, only it was invisible when he was full size (one of the things that annoyed me when he was brought back as the Atom, he was being shown at full size in his Atom costume).

••

When Ray grew to normal size, his Atom costume became an intangible, invisible cloud of atoms around him. That was explained early on.

Doesn't get us around the skin-tight costume that shows no details of the street clothes supposedly UNDER it, but at least PART of the processes was explained!

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 9  

couldn't either Alex Ross OR the costume company hire a model that's built like a RUNNER?

That is one thing I liked about the way JB drew Quicksilver.  He was sleek like a runner.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 10  

Technically, I suppose there's no contextual reason for the Flash to be "built like a runner", any more than there is a reason for Superman to have big muscles. Both get their powers from "outside" sources, which act upon the existing material. Thus, we saw Barry, in the first story, outrun a taxicab, without any suggestion that his muscles had in any way changed size and/or shape.

(To dig again at a long festering wound, this is a principle problem with the biological webshooters in the Spider-Man movies. The radioactive spider bite, in the comics, did not make gross -- as in large or extensive -- changes to Parker's anatomy. But the biological webshooters would require almost a complete overhaul, including creating places where the web fluid could be stored. And none of the rebuilt anatomy would have anything at all to do with how spiders work.)

Jeffery Tolbird
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB, Is it be better if the radiation explosion opened a portal to a magical
dimension and a spider was possessed by a benevolent being but it later
sought out a proper host and with a sting it now symbiotically resides in
Peter Parker? Magic solves most impossibilities so when its impossible, I tell
myself it must be magic! too simplistic?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

If the biological shooters are named that because of me I don't know. But the reason I was against organic shooters were because Parker is a chemist and within chemistry they once made a mistake, so everything with C is not "life" as once believed and that was what had beennamed organic. So it's non-organic, organic and the newer made up biochemistry instaed of saying real organic chemistry. That was the reason. About the shooters (added I meant the bio fluid)they can't exactly come out of the ass because it looks ridicolous. A hero doesn't get shot inthe ass either, it's the shoulder. And Superman needs muscles. In fact, what I was thinking when I was a child it would be impossible for him to have muscles at all. He should be like those astronauts who were in space that can't walk because they haven't used their body. We exercise our muscles all the time but for Superman it's too little.

Edited by Lars Johansson on 30 May 2012 at 1:48pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version