Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

..or working knowledge of anatomy if we go back to comic artists of the 1990s. (Liefeld reference! Wheeee.)
Back to Top profile | search

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
Whilst this may not apply to a Green Lantern, it does strike me funny that superheroes used to just need to know how to sew to make their costumes. Now it seems they must know how to sculpt and cast in a variety of mediums, from plastics to metals, to produce their costumes.

When do these guys find the time to fight crime?

I think the implausible costume trend started with Barry Allen. His Flash costume could shrink to fit inside a ring, expand upon release and was seemingly one-piece - even the boots!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

Barry's costume could be explained with comic book science, though.  The visual of that costume popping out of his ring is one of my favorite things in comics, and I'll cut it any amount of slack for its sheer coolness. 

The current trend with costumes is to depict them the way that film studios would, with inflexible and impractical parts that will look dangerous on a movie screen.  I don't see how Batman can sneak up on anyone if he's dressed like Iron Man Jr.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

Yeah, Barry's costume was "chemically treated" to shrink and expand to size. Typical comic book physics. But the costume itself wasn't excessively complex. It not only looked like something someone could make, but like something someone could actually move in. The new Green Lantern costume looks like it would really limit your motion, as well as looking like it would take a design team to put together. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

Barry's costume could be explained with comic book science, though. The visual of that costume popping out of his ring is one of my favorite things in comics, and I'll cut it any amount of slack for its sheer coolness.

••

And if I may be allowed to flog this horse one more time, it is precisely that scene that cause the vein in my forehead to throb whenever I see another Alex Ross painting of some model wearing a Flash costume made of Spandex™. No way that f**king thing is fitting in a signet ring!!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

When you've got a superhero costume safely stored in your signet ring, you've got life figured out:

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

Only thing that ever troubled me about Barry's collapsible costume, when I was a kid, was that he wore it OVER his street clothes!

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

Not to throb your vein, JB, but what's always annoyed me about Ross's Flash is that he draws the seams in exactly the same place as a commercially available Halloween costume.

As if the Flash would buy off the rack.

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

"....he wore it OVER his street clothes."
=============
With compression fabrics that strong, Barry Allen invented SPANXs!

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

John Byrne:

Only thing that ever troubled me about Barry's collapsible costume, when I was a kid, was that he wore it OVER his street clothes!

=======

How do you know he didn't strip really fast and then put it on?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 11  

That's what I assumed he did.  Which made me think for a second, "where the heck did he put his street clothes after he changed?"  Which made me realize that in the time it took me to think that question, Flash could deposit his street clothes just about anywhere on Earth, which makes it a non-issue. 

The Silver Age Flash is among my favorite DC Comics.  Likeable guy, no angsty backstory, colorful villains who are content to come up with ridiculously elaborate schemes for the purpose of robbing a bank or just messing with The Flash, best art of Carmine Infantino's career...  I'm glad the New 52 version of The Flash seems to be more in line with that attitude than with Geoff Johns's gritty Flash: Rebirth comic, which depressed me too much to read past the first issue.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 3:56am | IP Logged | 12  

=======

How do you know he didn't strip really fast and then put it on?

••

Because somebody wrote a letter, when I was a kid, asking how Barry could put on his costume if there were "ladies present", and the editorial reply was that he wore the costume OVER his clothes.

The idea that Barry shucks his street clothes and then puts on the costume makes sense, of course, except there is no evidence to support it. No pile of clothes on the ground, for instance. No scene of Barry shoving his regular gear into the ring. And, for that matter, despite many closeups of the Flash's hands, no sign of the ring once he's in costume!

Which is why, even as a kid -- a kid who was, I should add, willing and eager to believe ANYTHING they told me in those comics* -- the Flash's costume change made me scratch my head.

––––

* Remember, after reading FF 13, that night I went out in the back yard and LOOKED for the "blue area" on the Moon!

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version