Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 1  

I hope it's Kilowog. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 2  

Re: FF #254

I knew what was going on there. It was proof, as my friends and I used to say, that Sue is the luckiest woman in the Marvel Universe. Heh, heh.

Of course, that's the kind of talk best left to fans, and doesn't need to be directly addressed on page.

••

And, in a nutshell, THAT'S what's gone wrong.

There used to be lots of joking back and forth in the offices about stuff that would NEVER actually show up in the comics. And, of course, fans would have their own versions of this. The "outside world" delighted in bringing up such topics, usually to make fun of the antiseptic environment found in most comics. (I recall a Canadian news magazine that did an article on Stan Lee when I was in my teens. At one point it stated that FANTASTIC FOUR posed the question "Can a man who can stretch his body into any shape find true happiness with a woman who is surrounded by an invisible force field?")

That we see such "jokes" and all the rest actually showing up IN the comics now is just further proof of something I have been saying for years, that comics should no longer be considered professional publications. They're just expensive fanzines.

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 3  

If you want jokes put them in a Hembeck strip or a joke page and leave the real comics intact.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 4  

"That we see such "jokes" and all the rest actually showing up IN the comics now is just further proof of something I have been saying for years, that comics should no longer be considered professional publications. They're just expensive fanzines"
============
At this point, Stan Lee could have been talking about the the whole industry when he said, "You know, I think you ought to get him some help. He seems to be really hung up on super heroes' sex organs."Those things are, as Stan pointed out, "a superhero secret."

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 5  

'The "outside world" delighted in bringing up such topics, usually to make fun of the antiseptic environment found in most comics.'
===============
I never really understood why they would single out comics as "antiseptic". For one thing, they really weren't (I remember my high school art teacher, as an introduction to a project utilizing comic art,  holding up a copy of Spider-Woman, specifically a splash page of Morgan LeFay, only to have one of my usually lethargic classmates perk up and cry, "Man! I need to start reading comic books! I didn't know they had stuff like that in there!").

For another, I don't see how comics were less antiseptic than most of the TV shows of the 60's and 70's. A lot of the sexuality in old show was implied, sometimes heavily, and most of them ignored it outright. And as much as my friends and I would make jokes about the goings on in the Baxter Building and the Avengers Mansion (not to mention just what Scott and Jean were up to on that butte), we would make just as many jokes about Gilligan's Island and the Brady Bunch (Hey! They weren't related by blood!).

Edited to add: I believe the Spider-Woman image was this one:

Edited by Glen Keith on 23 May 2012 at 5:53am

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 6  

If I was laying odds on who this character was going to be, I would bet on the former Captain Marvel.

"Shazam"!

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 7  

After Jimenez's suggestion of Kyle Rayner, it has continued to resonate with me as the character that DC could go to. Newsarama just posted a brief statement from a few DC guys, one of which said that it is a character we haven't seen yet. Didn't Shazam just appear in the Justic League book?

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 8  

The only character that springs to mind in Wonder Woman: Being raised on an island, solely occupied by females, the presence of males verboten.

It stands to reason that either (1) the amazons do without sex, (2) practice non-relational sex, (3) engage in sex with other amazons.

So prior to leaving the island, Diana was a virgin, had flicked the bean, or has bedded other amazons.

I'm aware that other alternatives exist, but those are the ones I'm sticking to.

Also, if comics are aimed at the middle-to-late-thirties fan boys, what better way to raise circulation than by introducing prominent LESBIANS!!!!!!!! Yeah, baby!!!!!

Seriously, we don't see the sex lives of the supposed straight characters, we're not going to see the sex lives of the gay characters either. Since we're not going to be seeing sex lives, which is probably the principal behavior that divides gay and straight, what's the point?

Since we never get the see the characters doing the nasty, only having coffee or cereal together, they might as well be as equipped as Ken and Barbie ... or Ken and Ken ... or Barbie and Barbie.

Or Ken and Barbie and Ken and Barbie and ...

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 9  

The point is clear to both the cynic and the idealist. The former would
say sales, while the latter would posit a raising of awareness and
tolerance. It doesn't have to have anything to do with the depiction of
sex.

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 10  

According to the new origin of Wonder Woman, the Amazons attack boats in search of sexual activities with the sailors, once the need is satiated, they kill them all. Nine months later, boys are sold to gods and other mythological beings and they keep the girls to educate them as Amazons.

So now there is not much chance for those poor lonely girls to get bored...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Victor: According to the new origin of Wonder Woman, the Amazons attack boats in search of sexual activities with the sailors, once the need is satiated, they kill them all. Nine months later, boys are sold to gods and other mythological beings and they keep the girls to educate them as Amazons.

---

yikes.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 12  

Did they take a page from Frank Miller's 300?

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version