Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: how do you know? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2012 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 1  

Yeah, this sounds like the old "instant expert" bit. People always seem to think that if they see a movie, TV show, or documentary on something, that they suddenly have as much knowledge about it as someone whose been studying the subject for years. I've certainly gotten this treatment as a comic book fan when people I know start watching the movies, or cartoons, about a character and then want to impress me with their sudden knowledge. As a fan, it is a little annoying when some of these neuvo-fans seem to believe that a few episodes of the Justice League and a couple of Spider-Man movies is the equal of 30+years of comics reading, to the point where they'll claim that I'm wrong about certain details of a character. This seems different from (most) new comic book fans, who usually want to learn more about the characters, and are willing to ask questions or research to find out. Most people who come to these characters from outside media seem perfectly content with the knowledge gained from them, and some even seem to feel that it's superior since it comes from more acceptable media.
Back to Top profile | search

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2012 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 2  

Dan and Mike: If you're interested, the earliest surviving Robin Hood tales are easy to find, even in translation (yes, they are in Middle English, but no harder to read than Chaucer). A prose translation of the earliest surviving printed work, "A Gest of Robyn Hode" can be found here. The earliest recorded ballads, "Robin Hood and the Monk" and "Robin Hood and the Potter" are easily found online.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

It drives me nuts that people think Superman can turn back time. As
much as I love SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE and Christopher Reeve, that
bit has always made me crazy.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic