Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: how do you know? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 1  

I like Robin Hood a lot, but have never read the original stories.

In the 60s-70s, many of us may have been Batman fans through the teevee show before we ever saw a comic and same for Superman or the Superfriends or even Spider-man.

But, I would still use their interest in the movies as a chance to try and get them interested in some of the comics!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

The most popular characters from Marvel and DC have been around for 40 to 80 years at this point, and have appeared in everything from comic strips to radio programs to coloring books to movies to live action TV to animation to video games to every conceivable toy, so I'm sure that there are "giant fans" of some of these characters who've never read the comic books. 

The comic books are just another product, when you get down to public perception. My three-year-old nephew LOVES Spider-Man.  He's got toys, he knows all the villains' names, he watches every cartoon he can, he's got coloring books and storybooks and t-shirts...but he's at least a few years away from me getting him a gift subscription to a kid-friendly Marvel title.  I don't think that makes him any less a fan of the character than me, who's lost track of how many Spider-Man comic books I've got.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

Steve: And, I really, really want to throw them in a chair with a stack of Batman/Detective Comics where The Joker is prominent and say read these dumb-ass and then please tell me how Heath Ledger makes a great Joker.

---

Which issue? Which Joker?

I don't think there's a correct answer.

This version of the character (from the comics!) feels like the guy from the movie...

Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

Neil: One of the luxuries of my job is that I can dress however I want.  I wear a lot of vintage concert tees as well as superhero tees.  What I've noticed since the superhero movies have come out en force is I get many more comments about the superhero shirts.  To the "general public", seeing the movies makes them fans of the characters.  They generally seem interested in the characters they don't know that happen to be on one of the shirts I'm wearing.  A lot of times they will ask me to name and give a brief history of characters they don't know and they will proudly point out and name the ones they do know.  Mind you, I don't think most of them know there is a difference between Marvel and DC, but they have seen the movies and in their eyes, are fans.

---

Yeah. Sounds to me like they are fans.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

tell me how Heath Ledger makes a great Joker. 

Are you saying he wasn't?

I thought Heath Ledger was brilliant.  And not just because he's dead now.  I thought he stole the show.   

Which issue? Which Joker? 

Thank you.  

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

I remember having a conversation with a supervisor at work shortly after the release of Ang Lee's HULK movie. She'd seen the movie, was disapointed that it wasn't like the TV series, and that as such, it wasn't the "real" Hulk. When I explained to her that the Hulk in both the TV show and the movie were both variations on the character, and that the only "real" Hulk was the one from the comics, she dismissively replied that "funny books" didn't matter - the only "real" Hulk was the one from television. 

Edited by David Lopez on 20 May 2012 at 12:07am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 7  

I have a friend who loved the Green Lantern movie but has never read Green Lantern.  I don't think you have to have read the source material to  to watch the movie (perhaps not having read it helped in this case).  I do think I understand some of Ed's irritation; if someone says so-and-so "nailed" the part, it does suggest a working knowledge of whatever that part should be.  But everyone is always going to have an opinion. 

I have generally found it harder to enjoy movies based on books I've read; somehow it's a distraction because I have more expectations / preconceptions going in.  I tend to rely on critics and word-of-mouth, but a strange truth is that often my best movie-going experiences come when I know practically nothing entering the theatre... a dangerous way to choose films to be sure, but there's something incredibly satisfying about making great unexpected cinematic discoveries.  I think my expectations may govern my movie experience a lot more than I know.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

I get what's being asked here, and I've seen the same thing happen with other people: Non-comics fans who like superheroes in other mediums, like films, think they know a comics character even though they never really followed that character in the comic books. What I think Ed is asking is how do these people think they know what is the correct portrayal if they don;t even read the comics the characters came from?

I tink it's fairly normal for moviegoers to form opinions about what they see on the screen whether or not they're familiar with the source material. It's just what people do and the number of people who see a movie usually far outnumbers those who have read whatever it was based on, comics or otherwise.

People have been debating Connery vs. Moore for decades and yet I would assume many of them have never read an Ian Fleming novel.

Maybe they don't know the "correct portrayal" but it's never stopped anybody from expressing their opinion and I doubt if it ever will.   

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

I will put it this way, Nathan and Ronald, I have never read a Batman comic book where The Joker looked or acted like the way Heath Ledger portrayed him in the film.
It goes to the title of the thread how would non-comic book readers know one way or the other if Heath Ledger made a good Joker or not? They wouldn't.  In my opinion he did not. Oh, his acting was great and he was a good villain but he was not The Joker.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

Daniel Gillotte  wrote:
I like Robin Hood a lot, but have never read the original stories.
Might be tough going, Daniel. Not sure the original stories still exist and if they did they'd be in Middle English. 

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

True enough, Mike, but I also like Conan but have only read one of the original books as another example.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Munoz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2012 at 12:34am | IP Logged | 12  

my irritation is with my brothers and people who refuse to even pick up a comic but race to the movies and then claim to be "experts"

Edited by Ed Munoz on 20 May 2012 at 12:35am

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version