Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: TRIO #1 Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 1  

Now there is a tease!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 2  

Yay! I'll read the 5th issue wearing a raincoat with some plastic covers over the forniture in my bedroom...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 3  

I better warn the wife. It could get messy.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 4  

Hang on to your shorts, this is going to get bumpy!
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

I finally was able to get to the comic store today and get my copy of Trio #1. What a ride! It read fast paced and kept things interesting.

I really like the character of Rock so far and I felt bad for him, what with having to undergo a 20 minute transformation back to being human. Ouch! Nice touch of him leaving a change of clothes for himself and carrying cash on him. Smart kid!

Nautilus looks to be a cool villain and it should be fun to see where things lead with him. Unfortunately, we didn't get to learn too much about Paper this issue, but I found the call that Scissors got to be interesting. Maybe next issue will feature more on one of them, like this issue kind of had a "Rock feel" to it?

I really liked the idea of just dropping the readers into the whole shindig, rather than make us go thru the whole "issue 1 origin story". I've always felt that origins can be caught up on as the character(s) go along. We don't need everything thrown at us all at once; discovery is fun!

JB, you really knocked this out of the park! Excellent job, sir, and thank you for the entertainment. I eagerly await issue 2!

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

Enjoyed this issue thoroughly.  It seems there is a lot we have to learn about Trio and I'm looking forward to it.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

The first issue is still simmering in my hot lil' fingers and I loved it. I loved diving right into this fresh new world and liked the fun-filled energy of it! 

Even if I was a little hesitant, you sealed it with "Good guys don't kill people. You should know that." Said by someone who wields blades no less. Bravo!

Patrick D'Santi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 8  

Okay, just read this.  Am I missing something?  Is this supposed to be a serious/yet not-so-serious poke at the Fantastic Four?  I mean, I get that it's a stand alone new series and all that, but is the whole "similarity" thing supposed to be an "obvious" sort of in-joke for the readers/fans of Byrne?  With the homage covers and everything, I'm just wondering if the whole notion of the series is supposed to be a sort of homage to the comics/stories of days gone by.

I liked it - it was fun.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 9  

Is this supposed to be a serious/yet not-so-serious poke at the Fantastic Four? I mean, I get that it's a stand alone new series and all that, but is the whole "similarity" thing supposed to be an "obvious" sort of in-joke for the readers/fans of Byrne?

••

Two of the first three covers are homages to X-MEN covers, both by Dave Cockrum.*

Beyond that, the similarities to the FF are slight -- one could make equal arguments for similarities to the Doom Patrol, or the Challengers of the Unknown.

TRIO is the kind of superhero comics I like reading and creating, no more, no less.

–––

* Tho the second was based on the interior art, in my first issue.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 10  

I purchased the digital version from Comixology yesterday and finally had a chance to read it last night. (My local Shinders didn't have a copy—they usually have one or two of every IDW title, but not this time).

I loved it - good time - I was entertained!

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

(I'm actually planning a reveal for the 5th issue that should explode some heads.)

Just read on one of the other threads that the first run of Trio may now last just four issues.  Does that mean we have to wait even longer to have our heads exploded?!

Patrick D'Santi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 12  

Thanks Mr Byrne. 

Perhaps IDW should run with that line as a TRIO promo:

"the kind of superhero comic I like reading and creating"
                                                                 - John Byrne

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version